Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me 22.

Boolit Buddy

New to me 22.

FIL has macular degeneration. Gave me his last rifle, a Remington 521T. The bore is good but all the outside is rusted as is was stored in a damp basement inside a soft case. Looking forward to ground squirrel season.

Boolit Buddy
    Try rubbing the metal with 0000 steel wool and gun oil. Removes light rust without harming the finish.

for the rust, try putting the parts in boiling water, let dry + then rub with extra fine steel wool - if that does not work to your satisfaction try Van's bluing - the 521 is the least produced of any of the 5 teen series - only 67,000 produced between 1947 +1968 - they were designed to be an entry level target rifle with sporting capabilities. - been shooting, collecting, rebuilding, + using them for over 6 decades - i still have the one given to me for 10th birthday in 1956 [ sorry i did not keep original packaging ] - i have one that is far more accurate then any of my 513 matchmasters - enjoy it, they can be habit forming -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

I've had some success using kitchen "scrubby sponges" and oil. Although if you can manage it, boiling it first would be best. Don't use hard water.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy

You’re gonna love that 521.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Go easy with the steel wool if there is any bluing left.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ravelode View Post
    FIL has macular degeneration. Gave me his last rifle, a Remington 521T. The bore is good but all the outside is rusted as is was stored in a damp basement inside a soft case. Looking forward to ground squirrel season.
    I'm very happy for you! Albeit I have a few "new, 'good'" .22 rifles, I keep going back to my (long deceased) great uncle Vincent's 521T Bolt Action Target Rifle! It is incredibly accurate; seems to shoot well with whatever brand or type of .22 you load into it; and seems to be of just the right weight and balance.
    You are, indeed, a lucky man to receive such a great rifle from your wife's dad! I hope you will have many years of enjoyment shooting it!
    geo

PS: While other posts recommend great solutions vis your rust -- my 101% wholehearted plan -- if the rifle was mine -- would be to get a can of G96; Spray some on plain-Jane paper towels, wipe on all metal/rusty areas, let sit maybe three or four minutes, and rub the rust off. If there are any real deep rust spots, I'd rub these with the end of a (date is important!!!) pre-1980 U S penny. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g96.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	311804 I have had a few rusty arms through the years, and G-96 and the penny -- have never failed me!
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 03-19-2023 at 01:14 PM.

K.I.S.S. principle:

Big 45 Frontier metal cleaner ($6) & oil will remove rust w/o effecting any finish under the rust.

Anyone can order direct from the manufacturer: https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I think 1980 and 81 are OK too - lol . 97.5% zinc started in 1982 . For some reason I save the old ones, got half a bucket full !

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    I think 1980 and 81 are OK too - lol . 97.5% zinc started in 1982 . For some reason I save the old ones, got half a bucket full !
    wrong thread ?
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    wrong thread ?
    Nope...the old pennies are very good for removing rust...and BTW excel at melted shoe onto Chrome Motorcycle Exhaust

Boolit Master

Use brass or bronze wool if you are going to use a pad. Steel wool will remove the bluing.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    Use brass or bronze wool if you are going to use a pad. Steel wool will remove the bluing.
    Rick
    I have used a ton of 4 ought steel wool on numerous firearms.. I generally use WD-40 with it.. Haven't lost any Blue yet...Maybe I'm not Aggressive enough

The 4-0 steel wool is the important part, and what particular solvent less so. I usually use kerosene.

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    The 4-0 steel wool is the important part, and what particular solvent less so. I usually use kerosene.

DG
    So Very True... I use WD-40 because it is despised, and I get it Cheap...works just fine for a couple of things I use it for..

WD-40 is mostly Stoddard Solvent. Buy that in bulk and it'll be even cheaper.
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Nope...the old pennies are very good for removing rust...and BTW excel at melted shoe onto Chrome Motorcycle Exhaust
    A neato YouTube video showing technique -- gentleman de-rusted a scattergun with some 3-in-1 oil (I still prefer G96 ) and... a copper penny:
    https://www.outdoorhub.com/how-to/20...using-a-penny/
    geo

On the strength of the posts above, I ordered up a can of G96 and two pads of the Big 45 stuff.

This morning they got a workout. Opened one of the cabinets I rarely look into, and.....rust. Happily not much, and not on any of my real treasures, but heartrending nonetheless.

Operational report is that G96 and the pads made short work of it - no blued surfaces suffered, and all is well again. (These are all but one old Stevens and Hopkins & Allen single shots, so a mite of "patina" is forgivable. Actually they're already mostly patina, except the Krag. It wasn't bad, and cleaned up so's you'd never know.) Only criticism of the pads is that they don't get into tight crevices, but a bronze toothbrush handled that.

I'm a believer, esp. regarding the Big 45 pads.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by johniv View Post
    You’re gonna love that 521.
    +1 ^^^

I usually go at a rusted piece, with a paper towel: first with a dry one, then with an oil-soaked. Repeat it a couple times and see what I got. Quite often, it becomes a shiny blued piece right then.
    Powdery, fine brown rust on the blued surface can be deceiving. It looks awful but removes quite easily, without need for more radical approaches.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast