Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Today's new acquisition for the shop

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Does it get moved all in one piece? Good move hiring professionals for putting it in place!

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, a forklift will come off the truck pick it up and bring it in the building then set it on skates and roll it into position in the shop. Then either jacks or pinch bars to remove skates and lower it down.The arm will be at it lowest point to lower the center of gravity as much as possible.
    Its a 4 man crew at first 1 operating the forklift and 2 spotters once on the skates one man on each corner.
    When they brought in the original equipment 2 lathes a bridgeport and surface grinder they were 2 hours start to finish. These guys are good and have been working together long enough that they just know whats what.

Brian will come out a day or two before the move and plot it all out so there are no suprises.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Got it at Yoders Machinery in Holland. B&B will be moving it.
    Cute little radial drill. That area is where I grew up, my dad bought some stuff from Yoders. The shop I worked at in Swanton Ohio we probably had a dozen or more radial arm drills, that building is emptied of machinery now apparently. We made a lot of steering knuckles and radial arm drills are perfect for taper reaming the ball joint and steering component tapers.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Grand Master

Moving the drill Friday. Got the weight for the movers at 7350 lbs. Should be a fun day.

Boolit Grand Master

The drill is here in the shop and in its place. One hand wheels handle was bent when I tried to straighten it it broke have it apart its a simple pin to turn up similar to a shoulder bolt will make it and have back together tomorrow. Now waiting on the electrician

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0273.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	312481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	312482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0274.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	312483

Heres some better pics of the drill, and one of the first check of level no shimming or attempt to level had been done just how it sat down. The one pic shows the controls in the head better.
    Last edited by country gent; 04-02-2023 at 08:35 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Well the electrician was out today, We ran the new drop and disconnect lock out box for the drill then things went down hill fast. 2 motors the rotation and up down can be rewired to 220v from the 440v no problem. The 5 hp spindle motor is 440v only. I have 2 options now 1) pull the motor a real job as it will open the gear box to do. and have it rewound to 240 volts. 2) buy a 240v to 440v transformer for it, with it the drill can be ran as is. Electrician is looking into the transformer now. Neither is going to be a cheap fix.
    I also called the salesman as he told us that the motors were all dual voltage when we viewed it.
    Im thinking the motor has been replaced at some point in the machines life. Since this is also a 2 speed motor.

Was a real disappointment today not getting it running.

Boolit Master
    I would pick the transformer option; probably the simplest and cheapest route.

Boolit Bub
    HGR surplus in ohio has transformers
    http://hgrinc.com

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for that info M37. I had contacted the salesman at yoderss waiting to hear bacj from him ill look at HGR

Boolit Master

FWIW, be real careful of anything you get from HGR, they have really went to pot since they sold out a couple years ago. I've be going there for over twenty years, and I have pretty much stopped, to much junk. Check with John Brand at McKean Machinery in Brookpark, he checks everything before he sells it.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Years back when I worked for a living, the gas turbine site had a squirrel take out a huge transformer. Replacement had to done in by crane barge. Used bars of soap to lube the base so they could get the new one in. Frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12