Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Pistol Primers in 30-30 instead of Large Rifle Primers?

Large Pistol Primers in 30-30 instead of Large Rifle Primers?

I'm loading for 30-30 WCF. I've got Large Rifle primers handy, but they are the 7.62 NATO kind and they are a coinflip whether they go off or not, as they are too firm to use reliably.

Could I use Large Pistol Primers instead for 30-30? It's a relatively low pressure rifle cartridge, and I may be able to just skirt by using them.

Using factory 30-30, I've noticed complete reliability with my primer strikes. On the other hand with the 7.62 primers, I've had far too many light strikes to use them again in the future.

Boolit Grand Master

A couple thoughts; large pistol primers are .008" shorter than large rifle primers, maybe FTF results. Large pistol primer cups are often thinner than large rifle primer cups and chamber pressure can lead to pierced or blown out primers...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

i have used them in the past in light cast bullet loads with no problems at all results might vary with different brands of primers + the weapon being used - try them under safe conditions -

LP primers can manage 35-50,000 psi fine if the pin is proper contour, protrusion, etc, and the HS is good.
    Have multiple guns where many thousands of rounds have been fired thusly w/o incident whatsoever.

If the HS is long, and the primer backs out, then followed up by the case sliding back and riveting the primer (as often happens when someone "sees" high pressure), then the LP may be a poor choice as the fold will be sharper at the 'rivet' edge and can fail easier.

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    i have used them in the past in light cast bullet loads with no problems at all results might vary with different brands of primers + the weapon being used - try them under safe conditions -
    I've got CCI Large Pistol Primers, and they have never done me any wrong. I'm planning on using the load with Cast bullets and slightly underpowered loads, so I probably have a decent chance of getting away with a test-batch until I can hunt down some proper rifle primers that don't need a sledgehammer to set off.

Boolit Master

Doing this in 308 Winchester. Comments and results see: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...mers-(308-Win)
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I’ve used them for cast bullet loads in 30-30, 30-40, and 38-55 with no drama whatsoever.
    A Mauser, a Krag and a 94 Winchester were used with no pierced primers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The Pistol Primers will probably back out on a well used Winchester M94..as Slightly longer headspace is Common on them.. Check the min-max, on a 94... it is Generous... I have never considered it a Problem that they back out...except that the shoulder may be bing pushed back on ea firing..I long seat cast Boolits to just close action, to Fireform... then mark the ctgs that I enlarge the flash holes on...trying to minimize primer backing out.. still gonna set shoulder back some tho....

i would only use them if out of large rifle primers and realy had to use them.

Boolit Grand Master

I use them regularly for light cast bullet loads in a lot of my rifle cartridges.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banner Sponsor

Large Pistol primers work great in cast rifle loads.

Boolit Master

Sr and sp are same size...lp are shorter than lr for some stupid reason. I wouldn't swap those.

Boolit Master
    I have used lots of LPP in 30-30 and 30-30 based rounds

Boolit Buddy
    last year I used LP primers exclusively in my M54 .30 WCF. I did this to conserve the LR primers, It was a wise move from several standpoints.

Boolit Master
    I use lg pistol primers in light cast rifle loading quite often without incident , I haven't tried them in full power loads though .

Boolit Grand Master

An aside for the OP. Being a forum that allows everyone to post their answers/opinions, you are going to get answers from "it's not a good idea" to "I do it all the time problem free". Personally I would not use large pistol primers in any large rifle primer application, but being a "jes wanna know" kinda guy I have experimented with many substitutions. One of my last was using large rife primers in large pistol applications. I used large rifle primers in some 45 ACP handloads. Cleaned primer pockets well (aggressively) and maybe scraped some off the pocket bottom, seated "extra firm" with a ram prime and I got about 95% success in my stock 1911 Will I make this an ongoing part of my loading method? Nope.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    An aside for the OP. Being a forum that allows everyone to post their answers/opinions, you are going to get answers from "it's not a good idea" to "I do it all the time problem free". Personally I would not use large pistol primers in any large rifle primer application, but being a "jes wanna know" kinda guy I have experimented with many substitutions. One of my last was using large rife primers in large pistol applications. I used large rifle primers in some 45 ACP handloads. Cleaned primer pockets well (aggressively) and maybe scraped some off the pocket bottom, seated "extra firm" with a ram prime and I got about 95% success in my stock 1911 Will I make this an ongoing part of my loading method? Nope.
    mdi's "Substitution" is problematic. The Large Rifle Primer Cup stands .008 taller than does a Large Pistol Primer. This means; placing a Large Rifle Primer into a .45acp or other pistol case will result in a primer standing "Proud" from the base of the case itself. Potential for failure to chamber, Irish primer on "Slide forward operation/or not going into battery, or a slam fire. By "Seating Hard" to achieve a Large Rifle Primer in a Large Pistol Primer pocket; crushing of the Primer is probable, which could be reason for the 5% failure to fire mentioned.

Seating a Large Pistol into a Large Rifle Primer pocket goes the other way. The Firing pin MUST travel further to impact the primer and crush the mix between the Primer Anvil and the Primer Cup; so some rifles may bot have the Firing Pin travel length - or sufficient force when the Firing Pin impacts a Large Pistol Primer in a Large Rifle primer pocket.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I use LPP’s in some of my black powder loads. I use two bullet moulds, one for precision shooting, the other is for hunting with its flat meplat. The LPP’s are loaded into the hunting loads. To offset the height difference, I cut a strip of target paper the width of which fits under the shell holder. The primer is seated normally, the paper cuts crisply and the height difference between LRP’s and LPP’s is offset. With black powder, I can get away from any issues regarding a reduced spark because of the paper. Loads shoot consistently and I save my LRP’s for longer range work. As an aside, older rifles with softer breech faces may in peen around the firing pin hole if loaded with LPP’s due to the head start the primer has after ignition.

And you can use a small rifle or pistol primer INSIDE of a Gutted LP primer(with the firing pin dent ironed out)- it worked when I tried it.
    Cats can be skinned in a few ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I use them regularly for light cast bullet loads in a lot of my rifle cartridges.
    Me too. In a Winchester 94, 30/30 and a H&R 45/70 and brass cased 410 buckshot.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast