Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Hi Point Failure to Extract

Hi Point Failure to Extract

My Hi-point C9 in 9mm para has a peculiar jamming problem. Most of the time it functions just fine, but sometimes the extractor claw slips off the rim of the fired cartridge, and the empty case stays in the chamber until I drive it out with a rod. This makes it not viable as a self-defense weapon. Both factory and handloaded ammo pass the plunk test, and fall out on their own. When I close the slide on a cartridge, fired on unfired, it tends to stick at some point in the chamber, and will not come out by the extractor. I lightly polished the chamber, but am afraid to remove too much metal. It appears that this particular pistol has a tight chamber. I'm not sure I want to spend the money on a throating job, for a pistol that I have less than $100 invested in. Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

HiPoint has very good customer service. Contact them.

How does the extractor look? Any chips, does it look bent? It could just be an issue with the extractor. Might need a new one or a new spring.

And I second Finster101. I would contact HiPoint. You may be able to get them to send you a new extractor and spring.

I thought about an extractor spring. I sent a previous gun back to the factory before, and they did take care of it with no questions. It's just the hassel of having an FFL dealer mail it. Last time I looked into shipping by common carrier, it was going to be overnight at $60.00. Then again, UPS told me they could not ship it to the factory (even though it's allowed,) without a pre-printed label from the manufacturer which Hi-Point said they don't do.

If they can send me a replacement extractor only, that might be an answer.

Wayne

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Disassemble the pistol, package it in several layers. Ship it back to "Strassell Machine Services" via UPS ground. Don't tell them it's a gun, if asked say it's "machine parts". UPS employees really do not care what's in the package as long as it's not hazmat.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    If you call High point and tell them are having problems and you want to try replacing the extractor, I expect that they will be happy to send you one. The extractor is a cheap item for them and the cost of sending one out is not bad. Have the serial number handy when you call them.

I got a replacement firing pin from them and was very happy with their service.

If the extractor replacement does not help, more effort at polishing the chamber would be worth a try.

I understand you reluctance to ship the gun.

Boolit Master

I sent a 995 carbine that a friend bought with a bent firing pin in for service. It went door to door with no ffl involved. Contact them it should work the same for you unless handguns are different rules.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Another option, you can probably find a complete parts kit on GunBroker or Fleabay fairly cheap.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I sent a 995 carbine that a friend bought with a bent firing pin in for service. It went door to door with no ffl involved. Contact them it should work the same for you unless handguns are different rules.
    It is my understanding that long guns may be mailed, but handguns must go through common carrier. FFL holders on the other hand can mail handguns.
    Wayne

I had a very similar problem with my Rem 870 Express barrel. Most of the time it would shoot just fine, but every like 5-7 rounds one would stick, to the point of me not being able to rack the slide.
    I gauged the area of the chamber where the metal sits and found that it was several thou smaller than the spec, and slightly oval. All I did was set a variable reamer to the spec for 12ga and hand-rim just those 3/4" or however long high metal is. Then I wrapped 400 grit around a rubber bushing and polished that area somewhat. No sticking ever since.
    So, gauge the chamber and see if it matches SAAMI spec for 9mm. If it is any smaller... you know what to do. (Call High Point).
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."