WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: microgroove myths still abound

Boolit Buddy
    Arent these modern times and the internet just amazingly wonderful !!!
    Now its common knowledge that even marlin microgroves can be cast bullet shooters !!!

But that dosent really do or say much for those of us that spent years reading, doing research and doing everything know to man (at that time) ,, before abandoning any and all thought of anything but 22's and pop-gun loads being shootable in a microgroove barrel.
    Dont get me wrong,, im very happy you can enjoy cast in your microgroove barrel,, but I'll still pass on them for things with real rifling...ymmv..

Boolit Grand Master

One thought overlooked so far. In many professions one needs to be an expert. Auto/truck mechanics need to be experts to instill confidence in the mechanic's ability. Gun counter clerks are often dealing with people that have limited knowledge about firearms. There are others but these two are common. To perform their jobs they have to be experts, but often are not and "forced" to act like they know everything about their areas. How many mechanics would continue to have a job if they answered customer's questions with "I don't know"? How many gun buying customers would be lost if the "expert" behind the counter stuttered and stammered out obvious "I don't know" answers.

Just a thought and I know these are not the same as the stubborn "experts on everything" that this thread is about.

BTW; just yesterday the "Lead bullets in Micro-Groove barrel fallacy" was repeated on another forum and recently I saw the "unsafe to shoot lead in polygon rifled barrels" fact offered. (I've had to be the Auto Electronics, Heavy Equipment Electrician expert for 25+ years and sometimes an "I don't know" wouldn't fit the situation)...
    Last edited by mdi; 03-18-2023 at 12:44 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve been shooting lead in my 45/70 Marlin for years with no problems.
    When I was thinking about shooting BP in it all the experts said you couldn’t shoot BP in a lever gun. It would ruin it. I’m glad I didn’t listen to them. I’ve been enjoying using it for a while now.

Boolit Master
    This is an absolutely true report of an exchange I once sat through between two of my in-laws on a trip in 2016: (She) "Lets go to the Chuck Wagon Buffet, I want some Prime rib" (Him) No-- They don't serve Prime Rib (She) How do you know? You haven't visited us here in years (Him) " I went to eat there in '74-- they don't serve Prime Rib!" (and They DID have Prime Rib)
    Hick: Iron sights!

The one I liked was the young punk behind the counter at a Gander Mountain. They had a Winchester in .351 SL. I asked to see it and he handed me the rifle over the counter.

The hang tag was clearly marked 35 Remington.

I pointed out the marking on the rifle and he ignored me and said they had 35 Remington ammo in stock for it.

Pulled out the phone and looked up the 351 SL and showed it to him, he read it and ignored me again, while he put the rifle back on the rack with the mis-marked hang tag.

Never figured it was any great loss when Gander Mountain went belly up shortly after.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    The one I liked was the young punk behind the counter at a Gander Mountain. They had a Winchester in .351 SL. I asked to see it and he handed me the rifle over the counter.

The hang tag was clearly marked 35 Remington.

I pointed out the marking on the rifle and he ignored me and said they had 35 Remington ammo in stock for it.

Pulled out the phone and looked up the 351 SL and showed it to him, he read it and ignored me again, while he put the rifle back on the rack with the mis-marked hang tag.

Never figured it was any great loss when Gander Mountain went belly up shortly after.
    That is simply amazing and I could see a lawsuit coming due to that information!

Boolit Master
    The Lyman manuals have not helped the Microgroove rifles. Lyman has been feeding this falsehood about microgroove for a very long time. Lyman has also pushed sizing to 'groove' diameter, creating many failures in folks starting out. Microgroove Marlin's - 30-30 .310 or .311, .35 Rem -.360, .444 - .431 or .432, .45-70 .459 but .460 usually better, Marlin 22's 39A and a 25 show no signs of leading with excellent accuracy, even with most of the 'cheap' stuff. Trapshooter has the best answer for people who don't care to embrace new/different ideas.

Boolit Master
    I was going to write a longer post but decided it boils down to this, most shooters are not going to invest in the tools or do the work required to achieve good results with cast boolits. Jacketed bullets provide instant gratification and the little groups carried in their wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    That is simply amazing and I could see a lawsuit coming due to that information!
    At least one cannot get a .35 Remington cartridge into a .351 SL chamber.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12