RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: microgroove myths still abound

Boolit Master

microgroove myths still abound

I had a chance yesterday to browse though a local gun shop and got into a conversation with a fellow shooting enthusiast. we started talking about how to get components for the not so common calibers and casting bullets for them. this guy I'm guessing doesn't visit here and was saying you cant shoot cast bullets in marlins microgroove barrels because the grooves will fill with lead. he was absolutely sure about it. and he wasn't a youngster but a retired guy who has been hunting all his life. I tried to straighten him out and explained how sizing bullets a couple thousandths oversize , using a good lube, a good alloy and a gas check bullet design, keeping velocity at 30-30 or 35 rem speeds will allow him to shoot all the cast bullets he desires in just about any rifle microgroove or not.

Boolit Master

farmbif, you did your part to pass on the knowledge, sometimes opinions die hard. It is frustrating to those of us who are actually doing it to hear the unfounded opinions of those who insist "You can't do that!". I had a casual conversation one day with a friend who runs a local gun shop, retired LEO and avid pistol shooter. When I told him I was shooting cast bullets at 2000 fps from my 30-30 he was incredulous! "That's not possible!" he said. He absolutely insisted that you couldn't shoot cast at that speed and certainly couldn't obtain any accuracy. I carefully explained the process to him, but to no avail. Sometimes, opinions just die hard......
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

I think people often just believe the first thing they read and then cannot change their mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TXTad View Post
    I think people often just believe the first thing they read and then cannot change their mind.
    "I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken on that." is something I say w/ sarcasm from time to time...

Boolit Master

Keeps the price of microgroves and lead a hair lower…

Banned

Didn't Marlin have .22 LR guns with Microgroove rifling. Did they fill up with lead?

Boolit Master
    Opinions unbiased by fact or actual observations....

Same deal in Pistol, "can't shoot soft swaged, they will lead up your gun"

It's a reloading fault from cases sized small, and improperly expanded, in order to hold jacketed bullets.
    They then swage the soft lead during seating...can't argue with theses people, they have to be right...

Boolit Grand Master

Some excellent posts above. I'll try to remember TXTad's and Mr. Luber's posts.

Often Lee Haters are the best at forming opinions, pseudo facts, from what "they" said. Stubbornness, and fear of looking stupid also adds to the lifespan of old wives' tales and internet wisdom. Several times I've had to just smile, say thanks and walk away...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

yes Marlin has used micro groove in .22's for many decades -
    rember [ it must be true if it was on the internet ] ! -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Thank goodness cast bullets aren't any good for anything but making noise. If the truth were ever to be known to the general shooting public. everything we want and need to make and shoot our own bullets would be expensive as hen's teeth or unavailable due to high demand.

Boolit Master
    I have three Marlons with Micro -Grove barrels. One is in 44 Mag. I shot several rounds in it using the same bullets I used in my pistol. The barrel looked like a clogged sewer pipe' I finally got the lead out and mentioned what happened to a friend. He said, try these. The bullets he gave me were sized .430. After shooting them the barrel was clean as new. Size matters.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

My youngest nephew to father after a particularly silly pronouncement on a long forgotten subject:

"It never ceases to amaze me how you can completely ignore all evidence that contradicts your preconceived prejudices."

As the brother-in-law was making the speech, every person sitting at the table was sitting slack jawed at how preposterous his ideas were.

After his son's statement, he doubled down, making an even more ludicrous statement.

No one was going to tell him he was wrong. He's 81 now and that has been going on for the 50 years I have known him.

My favorite is when the gun shop employee or gun range safety officer tells me that what I am already successfully doing with cast bullets in handguns and rifles is not physically possible and that I'll hurt the gun irreparably if I haven't already done so...

Ok it's time to walk away why would I even try to convince someone who's already made up their mind that I am wrong?

I'll tell them one time the facts, just one time, then anything further is on them.

Ignorance is simply a state of not knowing, which can be corrected through education.

I can lead the lamb to the library.

I have not the effort remaining to encourage him to read.
    If they start eating the crayons that's on them too.

Boolit Master
    If you want to be successful at most things in life, you can't allow logic to stop you. The richest and most powerful people in our world have little use for logic. You would never be a successful politician, lawyer, marketer, or any ideological figure or cult leader if you let logic in. "My truth" is not really possible when you bother to worry about "the truth."

The world as we know it couldn't function if too many people cared about "the truth." It would be too ugly and unbearable and obviously unfair and unjust in too many ways. There must be wiggle room for "alternate truth," so these genes or mindset will carry on potentially as long as we do. It's not always useful in all matters, it's just going to there.
    Last edited by gloob; 03-17-2023 at 07:23 PM.

Boolit Master

I see the same at the range. There will be an obvious long time reloader shooting rifle..seeing me shoot lead..try to warn me that you can't shoot lead in rifle..only pistols... To which I reply... Not hardened, well sized, gas checked lead. But they won't hear any of it. They have been loading that single cartridge for years and know nothing other than their 1 dialed in load.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been told the same nonsense about cast in ARs. I get 2300 fps with PCGCs in a 6.5 Grendel and over 2000 with .350 Legend. Hunting level accuracy and no leading- barrel or gas block.

I've also been told I made a mistake buying a ported 1895M because I can't shoot cast out of a ported barrel. Of course that was the only way they came when they first came out. Mine hasn't seen a j-word in 15 years. Still shooting great.

It's always preferable to have these conversations at the range..Because then they can see your targets!

Oh yeah! And then there's polygonal rifling. Shhhh! Don't tell my USP45! All I've put through it in 10 years are 252gr SWCs and 230gr TCs.
    Last edited by Beaverhunter2; 03-17-2023 at 10:50 PM. Reason: USP45

Boolit Master
    I have shot Hi-Tek coated cast bullets in my 444 Marlin without any leading and good accuracy.

Boolit Master

So you're bummed because you think you can't shoot cast in your Microgroove Marlin?

I give ya fitty bucks for it.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    After a long time of trying to be helpful to people with this problem, before opening my mouth, I now remind myself "Never try to teach a pig to sing, it is a waste of your time and it annoys the pig", and "it is impossible to get a person to change their mind if their breakfast depends on it". This tactic has reduced my blood pressure peaks substantially, and probably improved my standing in the community. Hopefully I'm not one of "those people with this problem".

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Didn't Marlin have .22 LR guns with Microgroove rifling. Did they fill up with lead?
    My wife has had two Marlin .22 rifles since 1987. We have been trying to fill them up with lead since then. Every time I look for lead build up- every five years or so- I don’t see any

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast