Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: Help with Mossberg 500

Boolit Master

Help with Mossberg 500

I am trying to help a coworker get a older store brand Mossberg 500in 12 Gage back in working condition . It seems the old single bar action slides are nonexistent .
    Any ideas ????
    Would be appreciated

I found one (1) in stock - please check your PM's
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Are the single bar and dubbed bar interchangeable ?

Boolit Master

If at all possible, try to avoid taking apart the trigger assembly. It is filled with tiny springs which magically vanish when released. Their replacements are next to impossible to install without special tools. Don't ask me how I know.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Are the single bar and dubbed bar interchangeable ?
    Might be doable, if the 2nd bar is removed from the assembly.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    If at all possible, try to avoid taking apart the trigger assembly. It is filled with tiny springs which magically vanish when released. Their replacements are next to impossible to install without special tools. Don't ask me how I know.
    When you have to do this, do the disassembly inside a large plastic bag.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    What part did you have an issue with? I only remember one small spring in a Mossberg trigger group, and while it can be a little tricky to get it in place, it's really not that bad. I don't think I've ever used anything except a punch to take one apart and put it together.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    What part did you have an issue with? I only remember one small spring in a Mossberg trigger group, and while it can be a little tricky to get it in place, it's really not that bad. I don't think I've ever used anything except a punch to take one apart and put it together.
    I think it was the sear spring, a curly, tiny, hairpin-looking thing. I had to buy a dedicated tool from Brownells to install it. I got a deal on a used Mossberg turkey gun which wouldn't fire. After I tore apart the trigger group and (finally) rebuilt it, it worked fine. I suspect the previous owner had tinkered with it and given up. This was over 20 years ago, so forgive me if I'm a little fuzzy on the details. I still have the gun, and have made a point of not messing with the trigger since.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

I think I know which spring you are talking about. I can definitely see that would be troublesome before internet videos. I wish I had a trick for it, but really all you can do is push it into place and then put the next part in before it moves. It can be tricky, but definitely doable. It is the last thing in the trigger group and there is really no reason to take it out, so as long as you don't, the rest of the trigger group is quite easy. One of the easiest I've dealt with.

Boolit Master
    http://havlinsales.com

The above link might have what you need. You can actually talk to the owner.

Boolit Master
    I got a response from Mossberg , a double bar with one of the bars removed can work as a replacement . So hopefully that will be a fix , but I still need a few little pieces , the firing pin spring , and little washer as well as the pin that goes through the bolt .
    Wednesday evening I'm going over to a friend's house to spend the afternoon going through a bunch of old shotgun parts in search of the parts I'm after ......