WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just finished

Boolit Master
    Cap and ball isn't considered a firearm by the feds, so no worries there. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to order them shipped to your door. I would guess that engraving anything other than a frame with a serial number would would just be metal work and not gunsmithing, since all barrels and other parts can be bought, sold, shipped etc without any transfer paperwork.
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Quick Google search and the ATF website states "gunsmithing" falls into the category of a dealer when relates to work completed on a serialized frame or in the manufacturing of the frame to use in the completion of a firearm.

Interestingly if a person does get licensed as a ffl and they return the firearm to the customer within 1 business day, entering it into the acquisition and disposal log is not necassary.

Also, I apologize for hijacking your thread. That was not my intention.
    Last edited by Bored1; 03-19-2023 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Apology
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yeah to bad cause the frame is where the engraving mostly needs to go. Can’t sell ivory, can’t make “medicine” in the back yard, have to pay taxes. And honestly she felt older in the dark.

Nice!. What engraving tools do you have?

Pardon my cluttered desk. Use hand gravers , a ball vise and sometimes the microscope. Would love to have an air graver like a GRS or Lindsay but the start up at $1500-3000 keeps me from taking that plunge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 09F99A4F-1708-42C6-9CF9-A64C3A55B407.jpg   9265152B-452F-4279-8A07-216801C74AD2.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockingkj View Post
    Just completed the engraving on a friends cap n ball. Still learning. New to the forum hope it’s appropriate to post
    Very nice; I thought about giving this a try ? Ended up carving violins, unfornately my violins sound like the gut is still in the cat when played !!!

Nice. I want to get a microscope like that for placing tiny parts surface mount parts on printed circuit boards. I'm not very artisitically inclined but I would like to try engraving someday.

I don’t use the microscope a whole lot. When I do I think the work looks nasty thru the scope then you look at the piece by naked eye and say that looks pretty good.

To start engraving attend the University of U tube. Some great videos there.

Here is another completed engraving project. Muzzleloader’s will recognize it as a Cash percussion capper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EC8D6215-3A52-42CF-BAB7-6301E4E69061.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Beautiful work. I wish I could do that. How do you layout the pattern before you start engraving ?

I pencil the main scrolls to start. Generally the smaller details are free hand. Might have better results with more planing. Here is a Buck knife I’m working on one side done and the other has the main work cut, put in some details, punch in the back ground and it’s done. The stainless handle is hard and I am needing to sharpen the graver about after each scroll is cut. Learn something with every project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0ECCC830-0F86-444E-A14A-CABB557D1C31.jpg   060565D5-3ED8-4466-8F93-06AA23B57E34.jpg  

VERY NICE WORK.
    This requires a lot of talent & vision, even more nerve & a bucket full of cahonies!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

That looks great! And BP are not considered firearms thus no paperwork

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Beautiful job! You cam certainly be proud of your work and I'm sure your friend will carry to with great pride and treasure it! You just created a true heirloom!

Thanks. I look forward to giving it to him this coming weekend at the Kansas-Nebr rondi

Boolit Buddy
    Oh I like that. Very nice work

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockingkj View Post
    Just completed the engraving on a friends cap n ball. Still learning. New to the forum hope it’s appropriate to post
    No, you can't post stuff like that! It will make me feel bad that I didn't learn how and practice enough to do beautiful work like that!

No, really, only a total dweeb would object, as you do nice work!

Bill

Thanks. Travis shot it and out shot me in the Hickock/Tut duel with the pistol. 75yrds at a torso steel target. We both made it to the finals. Hit your in , miss your out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4FFF8EBF-D0AC-416A-A9BD-29122685DF38.jpg  
    Last edited by Rockingkj; 04-09-2023 at 09:56 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12