RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eyes getting older and front sight is getting harder to see.

Boolit Master

Eyes getting older and front sight is getting harder to see.

My buddy was struggling with the same thing so we got some laser grips for his 629. One cylinder and I knew I was going to get some for my 357PD 41 mag. I did a video on it. Gun is still a titanium handful but I can shoot again. Man I had been missing this gun due to me struggling with the front sight. I guess it's now funding lasers for all my handguns without optics. Anyone know if there is a way to get a laser on a Dan Wesson 741?

https://youtu.be/SJFXtZS6qxo
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Not sure about the various ones they fit, but check out 'Crimson Trace'.
    They are in their grips and don't hang on the frame or barrel.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

A green laser is easier to see than a red laser, the human eye can see green better than red for some reason.
    If you can get it in green, go for it even though it will cost a bit more.

Boolit Master

I feel your pain. Old eyes and iron sight don't work well any longer.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

I recommend ArmaLaser if they have a model that will fit your pistol. No buttons to push, just your normal grip turns it on. Put one on my carry Bersa 380 and it is great and the battery has lasted a long time, I bought a couple of spares but have yet to need to change it.

Boolit Master

Get a Red Dot will make your eyes 35 again

100 rounds 25 yards and I have a Medicare Card
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DEF85688-E0A3-4118-BCAD-C388E8DFD929.jpg   ED21C29A-9F52-42FA-9B7D-6CDCD8F7615F.jpg  
    Last edited by dannyd; 03-16-2023 at 06:56 PM. Reason: fix pictures

Boolit Master
    green would be nice! Armalaser huh? If they will fit a DW i am 100 percent in. Bout to google that!
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Buddy
    This may also help, did for me. Best $25 I have spent on shooting gear in years!

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Product...s%2C114&sr=8-2

Boolit Master
    It's a simple fact of life & aging.

For open sights,, bite the bullet (so to speak,) and get a prescription pair of glasses JUST FOR SHOOTING. Your eye doctor should be able to help with this. Mine allows me to bring in my gun & adjusts the focal length for my open sights.

Now,, a laser is good,, and so are red dots. BUT,, a red/green dot will appear as a bit of a starburst unless you have corrective glasses.

Boolit Buddy

Put a dab of almond colored appliance touch up paint on the front sights, especially brass beads. Works wonders. I use Rust Oleum brand; got it off Amazon.

Noah

Boolit Master
    A red dot, Burris Fastfire, Holosun, Vortex Viper, something like that changes handgun shooting a great deal, works really great for longer ranges.

Boolit Master
    "A red dot, Burris Fastfire, Holosun, Vortex Viper, something like that changes handgun shooting a great deal, works really great for longer ranges."

I have several red dot sights. One thing to consider is the MOA of the dot when buying. A "3 MOA" will appear to be a 3" dot at 100 yds. If you need more precision than that,, a red dot may not be the best option.
    "Longer ranges" means different things to different people. Many feel 25 yds a long range. Yet others think 25 yds is the starting point & going to 100-200 yds is a long range.
    Dots can help, but realize their limitations as well.

Scopes are adjustable for focus.

Prescription glasses help across the spectrum.

My point???
    Match your equipment to the type of shooting you do.

Wider rear notch or skinny front blade can help.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, longer range with handguns, to me, starts beyond 50 yards to 150-200 yards. The 3MOA red dots work pretty well for those distances, for 100 yards and under, a bigger dot 4.5-8 moa, might be faster. A wider rear notch and a big bright front sight works well for speed close-in, under 50 yards. Of course, properly fitted lenses should be part of the solution. The red dots ease some of the 'old guy, arms too short' problems. More(less?) than 3 MOA targets at 100 yards, you can center that 3 MOA dot on the targets and there are some 2 MOA dots and maybe smaller out there.

If you don't have a lot of astigmatism, measure the distance to the front sight, and go to any place that sells reading glasses. Find the weakest (lowest number of diopters) that will let you focus clearly at that distance.

I wear trifocals, and have found that the middle lens is just about perfect for iron sight pistols. I had a set of shooting glasses made to that prescription. They work great.

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately, I have astigmatism and every red dot I have looked through looks like a glob of red spaghetti. I wear trifocals and the changing astigmatism requires that I get new lenses about every 14 months--an expensive proposition. I can tell when it's time for new lenses when a set of 3-dot sights looks like a half-to full size stack of dots. My eyes are 76 years old, but my eyes have been this way as long as I can remember.

One thing I have found that works is the One Ragged Hole aperture rear sight blades for Ruger revolvers. They really work well on my 7.5 inch Blackhawk .45 Colts and I'm considering them for my .357 and 10mm match Champions. I just wish that the Blackhawk front sights were easily replaceable with a gold bead to go along with the aperture, but I use just enough blaze orange on the front sight to make it look like a square dot. Some years ago someone made them for S&Ws and I put one on my 625 .45 acp Mountain Gun and it works well, too. I think it was discontinued because you had to basically destroy the old sight blade to install the aperture. You don't have to do that with the Rugers, and can change back to the original blade the same way you changed it out. You just have to keep track of the parts!

For those of you who also like a colored front sight blade I have found this system to work well. I degrease the blade then apply some Rustoleum white epoxy appliance touch up paint. I let that dry then apply some fluorescent orange Createx water-based air brush paint and let it dry. The white base really maks the orange much brighter. Finally, to give a more durable finish I apply some Hard as Nails clear fingernail polish and let it dry. For the first and last ones I use their applicator brushes. For the orange I cut a piece of cereal box cardboard about an eighth of an inch wide for an applicator. It may sound excessive, but it gives a finish that survives holster use. I prop the guns up in a vertical position as they dry to avoid paint runs. GF

Boolit Master

Reading this thread, , I had the same problem I am 68 , as I write this I am just about done with the UV light treatments for my new L.A.L. len`s in my eye`s No more glasses for near or far, and no more astigmatism . I am as of Friday I am 20/20 Vision . Cost? I had cataract`s My insurance and Medicare paid for that, and I paid out of pocket 3,500 per eye for the LAL len`s I know it`s expensive, but I will be able to shoot like I did in my early 20`s well worth the money. Check it out with your eye doctor ..

Yep, I am 62 and for at least 10 years now, a simple 1.0 power readers glasses works for handgun and now even rifle.

Boolit Master
    It’s not true that your group size is limited by using a red dot that covers 3” at 100 yards. If you KNOW how to aim it won’t make a bit of difference. I have been using a variety of different brands for around thirty years now. I even put one on a Win rifle and shot groups at 114 yards (my camp deck railing to my backstop). The gun was a 1886 45-70 and I could get groups of 1.3-1.8” with five shots. All you have to do is understand that the bullet POI is in the center of the dot if you sight it in that way.This gun couldn’t shoot better groups if it had a scope on it.
    [/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FD882C02-7510-4735-A952-55C5A9ACBA1D.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	312043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8DE591C7-6578-4198-B7A5-4176602FC84E.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	312044

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Wider rear notch or skinny front blade can help.
    ^^^^This for all-around use^^^^

Dawson sells a variety of fiber-optic sights in different widths.

Other solutions depends on the use of the gun.

For hunting or range:
    A 3-MOA red dot or low power scope.

If you have astigmatism, the dot can appear as a starburst. I have it, but I can usually find a focus and for up-close, it doesn’t matter.

“Computer” glasses designed to focus on objects at arms length, perfect for pistol sights. Great for range & competition, but not much good for anything else as everything but the sights tend to be blurred.

SD:
    On a red dot, I’d go with a minimum 5-MOA dot. You need to pick it up fast and see it in bright light.
    If you go that route, train, train, & train some more as it’s a different world.

I’ve never used a laser, but they seem like they’d only be useful at close range in low light.

The most underrated, IMO, are the XS Big Dot sights with the V-notch rear. The combination makes them very fast to pick up. They may not be as precise as a traditional square notch, but I can shoot them accurately well beyond any reasonable distance I should be shooting at a human.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast