Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eyes getting older and front sight is getting harder to see.

Man the last few years my close up vision is really fading !!! I just bought a Freedom Arms model 83 and was having a really hard time with the iron sights .
    I painted the front sight and that helped a lot .... at times lol
    The red dot set up really appeals to me and is very tempting as I run red dots on other pistols .
    But a red dot on a Model 83 doesn't really sit well with me as far as looks go ha!ha
    Now that One Hole peep sight .... that's something I need to look into for sure !!!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    My optometrist, who is also a long time competitive shooter, made me a pair of glasses that were between my distance and reading glasses. They work pretty well for long guns. They would probably work for handguns too.

What you're describing is usually a symptom of Presbyopia, a thickening and hardening of the lens in your eyes.
    Modern lens implants can correct this, but be aware that there are several choices of lenses including monofocal, multifocal, and toric. These can correct for astigmatism as well as cataracts. Be aware that many of the lower cost monofocal implants are designed to correct primarily only for distance. For close up and mid distance focus, especially under indoor and low light conditions where your iris is at its most open, the results can be disappointing. Some people get a near distance lens in one eye and a long distance lens in the other. Find a doctor who's willing to take the time to talk. Some of the big eye clinics that are joint business ventures co-owned by several investor/doctors, be they ophthalmologists and/or optometrists are just "in & out" patient mills with fancy advertising. If you can find a doctor that's also a shooter, so much the better!

But, the best bet is to try the simplest things first. That means purpose-made prescription shooting glasses. For pistol use, you are trying to generally achieve 20/15 vision. This gives you the sharpest front sight focused sight picture, leaving the target slightly blurry.
    You can achieve this with a +0.75 to +1.0 diopter adjustment to your current prescription.

If you are a dedicated precision target shooter, you can purchase shooting glasses frames with adjustable nose pieces, arms, lens holders & brackets, and adjustable apertures from companies like Knobloch or Vargas. They run a couple hundred bucks. The cost of corrective lenses is in addition to the frame.

Boolit Master

I have questionable eyesight also, I'm 76 with cataracts but I REFUSE to give in and get laser sights. I can still hit 6" dia. metal plates at 25 yds with my revolvers. Yea, the sight is a little fuzzy but not enough to stop me.
    best....F***old age
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Thanks to this thread I stashed a pair of 1.5x readers in my shooting box.
    The front sights on my handguns have been getting blurry-er as time goes by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Thanks to this thread I stashed a pair of 1.5x readers in my shooting box.
    The front sights on my handguns have been getting blurry-er as time goes by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Knock on wood, that has worked for me. +1.25's. I can shoot my son's 336 with the Skinner peep and his H & K .45 acp, just with a pair of cheap, weak readers.

I got a prescription that is almost like a miracle - I can see perfectly at all distances - but it would have to be progressives. Before I sink dough into a pair, I want to make sure it will really work in the field, then I'm on the prowl for tough, durable glasses - not the designer stuff costing a house and lasting a day and a half.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

My eye Dr at the VA gave me a 1.0 diopter lenses that simply clip on my regular glasses. Real simple solution that sharpens up the sights. Works great for me.

Moderator Emeritus

Another fix is to take a piece of blue painters tape and put a hole in it with the smallest hole punch you can find. Cut that so it is a small circle and put it on your shooting glasses. Sighting through that hole will help bring things into focus.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Knock on wood, that has worked for me. +1.25's. I can shoot my son's 336 with the Skinner peep and his H & K .45 acp, just with a pair of cheap, weak readers.

I got a prescription that is almost like a miracle - I can see perfectly at all distances - but it would have to be progressives. Before I sink dough into a pair, I want to make sure it will really work in the field, then I'm on the prowl for tough, durable glasses - not the designer stuff costing a house and lasting a day and a half.
    I'm wearing Randolph frames, one of their Aviator styles. American made and they come with a lifetime warranty. I've had progressive lenses since I first started wearing glasses.

Boolit Buddy
    Merit Optical has a solution. i bought it for around $70...works like a champ for those who have to use reading glasses.
    meritcorporation.com/products.html

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ohen cepel View Post
    This may also help, did for me. Best $25 I have spent on shooting gear in years!

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Product...s%2C114&sr=8-2
    I will have to give those a try. Thanks
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12