WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Favorite western mountain hunting outerwear?

Favorite western mountain hunting outerwear?

Pretty much says it all. For those who hunt in western mountains, what do you like in outerwear?
    -Paul

Bump.
    -Paul

When I hunted, it was with a muzzleloader.The season here in Colorado was in September, and you should be prepared for anything. Warm days, cold nights, rain, snow, and everything in between. Layering is the key here. I usually wore wool pants and a soft flannel shirt, camo or a muted plaid, with a fleece vest or heavy coat, as required. Since muzzleloading is a relatively close range proposition, I chose clothing with a soft finish, that didn’t make noise in the brush.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Depends, changes day to day, one day 60* sunny, pleasant - next day snowing hard, wind blowing 10*. I've killed elk wearing jeans and a light wool shirt, also killed elk wearing a heavy windproof parka with insulated vest, wool shirt over silk wool blend long johns, windproof trousers, depends on day of the week. Usually wear Bean's Hunting Shoes, sometimes insulated, light merino wool socks under heavy wool socks, sometimes high insulated rubber boots when snow gets really deep. Once you have an elk down, you will warm up quick. Goes from summer to severe winter and back in the same week, sometimes the same day. Quiet finish is important, same with fabrics, some modern fabrics get LOUD, krackle when it gets really cold. Most of the 'wax' finish coats get really stiff below 25*F. Newest coat, maybe two years now, the Natural Gear Winter Parka, waterproof, quiet, lots of pockets, well made, my wife has been wearing hers all winter, been cold this year, a very good coat for severe weather.

Sorry for the late reply guys. Thanks, that gives some ideas. We're a year or two out so that gives some time to think on it.
    -Paul

Boolit Master

Did me well for many many years.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l500.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	311940
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    Did me well for many many years.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l500.jpg 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	311940
    Always trustworthy...here's mine, complete with buttpack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my shirtjac.jpg 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	311941

My son's great grandpa's, yooper with deep Arcadian stock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	albert's wool.jpg 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	311942
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Gamehide makes some good outer wear. I like the poly pro underwear (longies) or wool if you can wear it. Multiple thin layers, it's chilly in the morning and warms up in the mid day

Boolit Mold
    Lots of good ideas above.
    I'll reiterate that spot & stalk hunting means cold glassing for maybe hours, but sweaty hot while climbing mountains. Having layers for wind & wet snow, and pants with full length zippers (to dump the heat) will keep you out there longer.

Boolit Master
    I've worn a traditional red and black wool coat and black wool pants for cold, wet weather big game hunting all my life. I'm sure some of the new synthetics are better, maybe much better, but I'm old and stuck in my ways. Don't think I'll be changing anytime soon.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    WESTERN MOUNTAIN HUNTING does not define any particular conditions. Oregon and Washington hunters are dealing with wet conditions, but not much wind and usually not extremely cold, maybe 20* plus, wool works well. Altitude makes a difference, hunting at 9000 to 11000 feet in the Colorado and Wyoming mountains will seriously affect folks coming from the lower elevations. You will be tired and cold just because you are not used to the altitude. Are you hunting early October or late November? WIND makes a HUGE difference in what works. Even antelope are hunted at 8000 feet some places. We hunted in 90*-100* at 8500 feet the first week of October two years ago with a 20-35 MPH wind, gusting to 45 MPH. Just saying the old red plaid wool does not take all the issues into account very well, I do have one, but the wind cuts through it. I do wear a heavy wool vest by Stormy Kromer, like the heavy Filson vest. Wool gets very heavy when wet, I wore Woolrich red plaid, the Pennsylvania tuxedo, a very long time ago, starting in 1964, I do NOT think it is the best choice for 'MOST' western mountain hunting. This opinion is based on my experiences hunting elk, antelope, moose, and deer in the Colorado and Wyoming high country since 1978, including many, many horse pack trips into wilderness areas.

Boolit Master

Outside layer made with quiet fabric, windproof, and a hood. Water repellent is nice.

OK guys, thanks, there's a lot here to chew on. When I bowhunted, I just used Cabela's stuff, synthentic, which with some mild layering worked fine for stillhunting and stand hunting through my season. I haven't bow-hunted in years, and now hunt entirely in the Johnson Mills Shirt Jac, wool pants, and two options in base layers of merinooly blend, or 100% merino. Socks, liners and wool, different grades. I don't stand hunt any longer (though might this year, having an option for stand hunting on a friend's son's family property, where I'll break out my 338 WM and he, his 30-06), just still hunt and track in the big northwoods. Biggest problem is getting too hot and sweating. I find it all awesome for good snow, and not a fan when it rains.

I can see this isn't an easy answer - variable weather, then the demands of the hunting itself, with lots of arduous climbs and long posts glassing or otherwise sitting still, in potentially, brutally cold, wet and windy. I'll have to sit with your thoughts. Thanks again.
    -Paul