Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Dillon Value ?

Boolit Buddy

Dillon Value ?

Looking at an old Dillon 550 Maybe there is a RKI out there (reasonably knowledgeable individual) that is familiar with this press. Don't know if it is a "B" or "C" series. Has the steel raised base, a cartridge feeder, and set up for 45 ACP. What should I offer for this rig? The case feeder and drum look like a much later add on. A new Dillon 550 C basic press is a little over $300 and new case feeders are $380 Thanks for the consideration.

Boolit Master

If it's in good working condition I'd offer $650. If seller accepts you did good FYI; you can always offer more if he doesn't accept your first offer.

They have a lifetime warranty, 80% of current price is what they sell for. Double current during a panic.

It’s probably worth more dollars now than it cost new. If it’s one of the first ones, they were under $300, the SD was $130 back then.

Then again a New F150 was $14,000…

Boolit Grand Master
    A new 550C is close to $600. If you can find a new one for $300 buy it and all of its sisters and brothers.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

Thank you for your advice!

Boolit Master

even if its slap wore out, buy it, dillon will refurbish it for cost of postage.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy

I looked up the prices on a new 550C basic. They are $590 The case feeder new is $435 At 70% would make a used press valued around $700 I appreciate your information. Never ran a 550 before. I was given an old RL1000 that I load 30-06 on for my 1917 Browning. Great old press but no parts are available. Have to fabricate my own. Hope to get into this 550. Best regards!

Dillon presses are like hearing aids The initial price also pays for the warranty replacements.
    If you can get it for a good price, go for it.

Boolit Master

I have heard my FIL;, when dickering, say: "I would hate to put a price on your merchandise, what is the least you would take for it?"
    You can always reply that the price offered is too rich for you.
    He also told of a neighbor who took a bridle to the Horse Traders Convention and came home with a team and wagon!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Mold
    I agree with William. Ask him what price he is thinking. I will say this i recently got a dillion 550C and absolutely love it! I had 3 different lee progressives set up for 45,9mm, and 223 and i will say everything you ever heard about Dillion is true. I am a big Lee fan but there is absolutely no comparison between the two.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    I looked up the prices on a new 550C basic. They are $590 The case feeder new is $435 At 70% would make a used press valued around $700 I appreciate your information. Never ran a 550 before. I was given an old RL1000 that I load 30-06 on for my 1917 Browning. Great old press but no parts are available. Have to fabricate my own. Hope to get into this 550. Best regards!
    The 550 is a great press, however, it does not have the auto-advance like the RL1000. Some people feel that is an advantage. Some don't. With the 550 double charges are easier. I started with the 450, moved to the 550's. When the 650's came out I sold the 550's.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy

Hey Sparky! Took your advice and traded into the old 550 for $600. it was set up to load 45 ACP. But don't think it ever loaded a round. The old guy that initially purchased it could not get it running. The press had 10 years of dust on it. The current owner was a don't wanter. Everything was out of adjustment! The flair die on the powder measure made small funnels out of the brass! Finally got it going! The 550 Dillon is a nice press but slow with the manual advance. Am used to my old RL-1000 and Super 1050. Might trade up to a 650 or 750. Many thanks for the advice.