Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: 38-55 and IMR4198

38-55 and IMR4198

Been reading and searching A Lot.

I have a new model Winchester Miroku 1894 Sporter. It has a 24” barrel and 1:15” twist. Recently with another powder, it clocked 200fps faster with beginning loads than the 30” test barrel used by Lyman.

I’m targeting 1400-1600 fps per my reading for a good hunting load.

My question is: How lo have you loaded IMR-4198 in a 38-55 with a 250-255 gr cast boolit?

24 grains with a 250 grain lead bullet

Boolit Master

Google search:

If you want to try using IMR 4198 in your Model 1894 38-55, start with 22 grains, and make sure to check the velocity with a chronograph. You are looking for a load in the 1300 – 1600 fps range that provides consistent velocity and good accuracy. IMR 4198 is not position sensitive, so fillers are not necessary.

21 grs with a 255 or 260 gr works Well in the Cowboy.

RP

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master

23 grains gets my 250g bullets in the range you are looking for.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Thanks to all for your input. I now have some ‘increments’ to load.

@sparky45 you were right!

I began at 22.0 and worked up in .5 increments to 24.0

I have seen in my rifle 22.5 and 23.0 were the most accurate. They were 1557fps and 1602fps.

I did see a pattern; Every first shot was much higher than remaining shots in each string. The rifle was not cleaned until all strings were fired. I have never seen this before.

With the first shot removed from the string, the velocities went to 1530fps and 1577fps.

After thought, I wonder if the Chargemaster Pro caused this on each first shot as it was ‘learning’ the adjustments of each changed load, as well as kernels. As it learned the first load, it fine tuned subsequent drops for each string.
    Last edited by Cast10; 04-16-2023 at 09:30 AM.

You can make a powder scoop from a .45 ACP case and a handle that holds……..24 grs of 4198.
    I use one for my 38-55 deer hunting loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you pour powder in a powder throw, always throw the first charge into the scale pan, then slowly pour the pan contents down the inside of the tube wall back into the powder throw. Plus make your powder throw action on the powder throw handle, always the same, uniform.
    If you use a dipper, dip out of an open bowl with an overage, cut the overage off using using the card's edge like a knife.
    Try to make every loaded cartridge as uniform as you can, bullet shape, size, powder, primer, case length and head-stamp. A consistent crimp with a straight wall case is very depended on the case length
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

@Rapier
    I thought some more and it couldn’t have been the Chargemaster Pro; I didn’t number each cartridge, so it would be hard to believe I chose the first cartridge thrown on a string of 5 different loads.

I’m still perplexed about this……

I’m moving forward with a 23.0 gr charge and will monitor next shots.

rl-7 has been a good powder for me in a 38-55 marlin cowboy and 250 gr hard cast bullets.

7” Target at 25yds Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A07E7DDA-9894-44A5-90BC-D36266DB0C36.jpeg 
Views:	157 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	313062

As I was researching loads for the 38-55 using the powders I chose, I had a hard time finding any solid numbers. For that reason, I’m sharing my data for IMR4198 powder and Lee 250gr RF boolit.

My new Winchester 94 Sporter has demonstrated faster velocities, so I did take that into account. I was searching for a load around 1400 - 1600 fps; nothing hot, but still capable.

Note that using the Lyman #4 Casting book, yields 24.0 as min and 25.8 max. Reduced loads were arrived at using first hand knowledge of you folks, as well as a phone call to Hodgdon.

38-55 Winchester
    24” bbl ; 1:15 twist
    Lee 379-250-RF ; Powder Coated
    CCI 200 primers
    Starline std. length brass - New
    IMR4198 powder

22.0 @ 1489 fps
    22.5 @ 1529 fps
    23.0 @ 1577 fps
    23.5 @ 1606 fps
    24.0 @ 1659 fps

NOTE; These loads were safe in my firearm. Work up any load and research your intentions until you feel convinced safety can be met.
    Last edited by Cast10; 04-17-2023 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Added Powder Coated

Boolit Master

random data I shoot 21 grns over a Hoch 310grn. It holds 1 MOA out to 600yd; C Sharps business rifle. I never checked the velocity, but no indications of high pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    @sparky45 you were right!

I began at 22.0 and worked up in .5 increments to 24.0

I have seen in my rifle 22.5 and 23.0 were the most accurate. They were 1557fps and 1602fps.

I did see a pattern; Every first shot was much higher than remaining shots in each string. The rifle was not cleaned until all strings were fired. I have never seen this before.

With the first shot removed from the string, the velocities went to 1530fps and 1577fps.

After thought, I wonder if the Chargemaster Pro caused this on each first shot as it was ‘learning’ the adjustments of each changed load, as well as kernels. As it learned the first load, it fine tuned subsequent drops for each string.
    Your chargemaster may have been learning each load but what did the scale say? Were all charges the same weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Your chargemaster may have been learning each load but what did the scale say? Were all charges the same weight?
    Don’t think it could have been chargemaster. I did not label loads per string, so it highly unlikely I picked the very first load of each string 5 times in a row.

I don’t check my loads with scale very often. I did when I got it and they were dead-on. I loaded 50 rounds a few days ago and checked them; dead-on to bouncing at +/- .1 gr.

I did some reading and did find someone else experience this. It had to to with outside temp and cadence of firing. I can see where I fit that profile during that session.