Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Powders ?

New Powders ?

So , powders coming back really well two hours from the house. Wanted to get some for loading cast ( rifle) but honestly all the "Classic Cast Powders " are costing an arm and a leg . Like 1lbs of 4227 was a raging like $55 a can 5744 was $61 a pound ect. Just too rich for my blood. However stuff like shooters world brand or ram shot where all still about the same at $35-45 a pound. That a long with the fact theres been a good may powders made since 2010 wanted to know if anyone has experimented with any of the newer stuff for rifle cast ? Was thinking about looking into the stuff most suppressed guys use but idk.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

if you got good selection now, buy all that you can afford now, it could disappear very soon.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Wolf dog, where is that located?
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    Well at least they're in stock, unlike in my AO.

In General, I am seeing same: new powders & Shooters World / Accurate are cheaper that IMR extruded, and 5744 is priced very high (I am seeing $60/lb on 5744).
    Do note that SW Buffalo Rifle has been reported to BE SAME AS 5744.

I think this is a general fallout of what the producers want to sell: higher prices on products they really don't want to emphasize.
    Manufacturers make New products & processes not just to satisfy customers, but also reduce internal costs. It's called productivity gain. Applies to more that labor hours.

Also note that the whole reason for development of ball powder to begin with was reduced manufacturing costs. So, of course the extruded "should" be higher.

Probably also still sorting out w/ supply & demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    Wolf dog, where is that located?
    First picture is Mobile Shooters Center in mobile Alabama the other is Bullseye outdoors in Lucedale Mississippi.
    Well worth the 3.5hr drive imo
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    if you got good selection now, buy all that you can afford now, it could disappear very soon.
    Sorry but not at these prices. Bought 1k primers for $120 which honestly isn't that bad for me. But I simply could not justify $61 bones for alot of these classic powders. Especially for what I'd be doing with it. If I was buy for my jacketed precision stuff then yeah but not for cast
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Thanks, Wolfdog.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

I used a pound of Shooters World Match to load a bunch of jacketed bullet .223 ammunition. I bought it at Scheels for $40/#.
    I have also tried(and like) AA2015 for cast loads. It was $50/# at a high priced LGS- but I had a gift card!
    I didn’t have a gift card for IMR 4227 or IMR 3031; so I clenched somewhat when buying them…..$20 per pound higher than 3 years ago- but what isn’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

"That a long with the fact theres been a good may powders made since 2010 wanted to know if anyone has experimented with any of the newer stuff for rifle cast ?"

I too, wish there were more posts with results using newer powders.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Winchester 244 has been around for a few years, but it is new to me. I've loaded up some .45 acp with it. It works, but seems kind of weak at the recommended starting load. I loaded some more at closer to the MAX grains, but the weather has not been conducive to getting out and testing. I've also loaded some .45 Colt, but again have not had the opportunity to test them.

I bought the 244 to replace the Unique powder which I really like but seems to be currently unavailable.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TurnipEaterDown View Post
    In General, I am seeing same: new powders & Shooters World / Accurate are cheaper that IMR extruded, and 5744 is priced very high (I am seeing $60/lb on 5744).
    Do note that SW Buffalo Rifle has been reported to BE SAME AS 5744.

I think this is a general fallout of what the producers want to sell: higher prices on products they really don't want to emphasize.
    Manufacturers make New products & processes not just to satisfy customers, but also reduce internal costs. It's called productivity gain. Applies to more that labor hours.

Also note that the whole reason for development of ball powder to begin with was reduced manufacturing costs. So, of course the extruded "should" be higher.

Probably also still sorting out w/ supply & demand.
    I have read the same about Buffalo Rifle, on their website (https://shootersworldpowder.com/ ), but have not been able to locate it locally. Have some of their powders for pistol have not been able to try it out yet. New German Shepard puppy, three months old today!

Boolit Master
    I have Shooter's World Buffalo Rifle from before the panic, works like 5744 and is less expensive. I've used HP38 for light rifle loads, works much like Red Dot.

Boolit Grand Master

I can tell you that the Shooters World (Lovex) powder is good stuff.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

My LGS has a very poor selection and is more focused on profits than customer service. I just bought a one pound can of Varget for $67.95. Small Rifle Primers are $169.00 a brick.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    SW precision is just about grain for grain with Varget, at least in my 6mm Br and a few others.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, those prices are probably why they have them. No other stores were willing to pay that. My local shop is about $20 less than your quoted prices, and that's still too high.

To answer your question, some of the clone powders can work fine. Accurate is now owned by Hodgdon so we will see if their consistency improves. Accurate powders were not bad, but they varied a lot. Accurate's version of 5744 should be a decent cast bullet powder. I used to shoot their XMP 5744, and it worked well enough. It was not as good as IMR 3031 or IMR 4895 though. I don't have a ton of experience with Ramshot, but I just have not got the accuracy I want with it. I think I have some shooters world, but I don't know if I've ever used it.

I use plenty of IMR 3031 and IMR 4895 when I'm trying to push the limits of 30 caliber cartridges. The great majority of my cast bullet shooting is with fast powders. My 308 loads with bluedot are no slouch, and it's half the powder per shot than slow powders, plus it's cheaper per pound.

Boolit Grand Master

I just checked some prices, and those stores are way out of line. You can right now go onto Precision Reloading, order a 8 pound jug of IMR 4227 for $324. Even with shipping and hazmat fee you would be saving almost $100 having it sent right to your door. That's besides the gas and time you spent driving to those stores hours away.

I am a fan of the Ramshot powders. They meter very well and I have not had any known accuracy issues. (BUT I have not specifically tested them for accuracy either.)
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    I'm using Shooter's World Buffalo for everything that 5744 would work in, and Tactical Rifle for 223. I decided years ago that whenever possible I'd buy powder in the 8 pound jug instead of the 1 pound cans. As other's have advised, check prices & availability online at places like Powder Valley and Graf & Sons before you buy local. If they have what you want in stock it could save you some money to buy online. (Avoid the scammer sites: if you've never heard of them and they have infinite amounts of everything in stock at pre-pandemic prices, it's probably a scam.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast