MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: 348 Winchester jacketed loads?

Boolit Master

348 Winchester jacketed loads?

Hello all!
    I am the proud relatively new owner of a Browning model 71. I have cast bullets, and will load some. I also have some 200 grain jacketed bullets. Does anyone have a pet load with jacketed for somewhere in the mid-teens velocity wise? I'm a recoil sissy and want to keep it mild.
    Thanks for any help and advice,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    Hello all!
    I am the proud relatively new owner of a Browning model 71. I have cast bullets, and will load some. I also have some 200 grain jacketed bullets. Does anyone have a pet load with jacketed for somewhere in the mid-teens velocity wise? I'm a recoil sissy and want to keep it mild.
    Thanks for any help and advice,
    Rick
    58 grains of W760 for the 200 gr jacketed
    56 grains of W760 for the 225 grain CBE gascheck = 2350 fps on my chrony

dont waste your jacketed bullets on sissy loads.!!!

put a pad on it, they dont boot that bad......really they dont!

Boolit Master
    I too like W760/H414 in the .348 with 200 grain jacketed. I have not fooled with 'lighter' loads using jacketed bullets. I have used 225 cast with 26 gr IMR4198 with good accuracy, but impact was 23" below full power jacketed. The sights need changing for proper sight-in on my long-tang Winchester 71. The Browning 71 is drilled/tapped for a receiver sight so that would help for zero. Williams lists a a Foolproof sight for the 71, might be some others on the used market.

Boolit Buddy
    Check Lyman’s cast bullet handbook for a variety of reduced loads. There’s probably an old version in the Castpics section.

One thing I found with B71 is the stock shape didn’t suit me. The long comb and short tang placed my thumb uncomfortably close to my nose. Factory level loads were uncomfortable. In the end I took my rifle to a stock maker who reshaped the comb, pushing the point of the comb back until my grip was no longer compromised. The resulting stock is much more comfortable to shoot now. The comb shape now is more like that found on the early long tang Win M-71’s.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I too like W760/H414 in the .348 with 200 grain jacketed. I have not fooled with 'lighter' loads using jacketed bullets. I have used 225 cast with 26 gr IMR4198 with good accuracy, but impact was 23" below full power jacketed. The sights need changing for proper sight-in on my long-tang Winchester 71. The Browning 71 is drilled/tapped for a receiver sight so that would help for zero. Williams lists a a Foolproof sight for the 71, might be some others on the used market.
    my B71 wears a plain williams 5D sight -- same thing they would sell you for a '94 - it fits fine - no problems with adjustment.

Boolit Buddy
    Suggest you read some about cast boolits in Browning 71's.Discussion about the throat being short. compared to Winchester 71 rifles/ I load a 250 gr cast boolit for my original Winchester 71. It is a full power load (I use my 71 as my woods loafing rifles and there are both black and grizzly bears in my neighborhood). The load gives me 2" groups, iron sights at 100yds.Never had any luck with cast in my Browning71s early on, so I quit trying.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Suggest you read some about cast boolits in Browning 71's.Discussion about the throat being short. compared to Winchester 71 rifles/ I load a 250 gr cast boolit for my original Winchester 71. It is a full power load (I use my 71 as my woods loafing rifles and there are both black and grizzly bears in my neighborhood). The load gives me 2" groups, iron sights at 100yds.Never had any luck with cast in my Browning71s early on, so I quit trying.
    never had a problem with cast (gas checked) in mine - almost full power load

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    never had a problem with cast (gas checked) in mine - almost full power load
    Me neither.

Yes, it has no throat and some designs foul on the throat when crimped into the crimp groove but get yourself a Lee FCD, then crimp in place where it clears the throat.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't waste your JSP's on midrange loads. Like others, I have used 760/H414 with Hornady 200 grainers, but they aren't available these days. You shoot them up for play and you won't have any when you go hunting, because you won't find any to replace them.

For cast, I load 25 grains of 2400 with a Accurate 35-220 B or an RCBS 348-200. For a fun plinker, I size 358-429's to .350 and load them over 13 grains of Red Dot. Light recoil and very accurate at 50 yards.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.