RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: 460 S&W 500gr cast Boolit Load development

460 S&W 500gr cast Boolit Load development

Hello all, so I dove in with my S&W 460 and ordered the Accurate mould 45-500S. I received it and she’s beautiful. Last weekend just got my first casting session done and they turned out pretty good. I’m getting 509gr with a gas check and WW lead. I will keep this post updated as I continue my journey for anyone who’s interested.

Please note that any load data in here is from GRT and NOT published load data. My starting load with this bullet is 25grians of Lil gun. As always do your own research. I’m not responsible for you blowing up your gun/self.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	312612AE-4E65-4901-B4E5-218375B82BA2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	311655Click image for larger version. 

Name:	312612AE-4E65-4901-B4E5-218375B82BA2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	311655
    Here is the mold, once I figure out how to upload my other picture I’ll post the bullet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18F02D48-BB23-44B0-8CDE-7D50078E9ACB.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	311656
    Ok I think I got it now. The case isn’t crimped yet in the photo but she’s a big boolit.

Boolit Master
    This reminds me of an article I read where a gentleman wanted a heavy, lower pressure hunting load for his .454 revolver. Seems he didn't like the blast with standard loads, and wasn't thrilled with the potential hearing damage from even one shot of standard ammo. Apparently, he had a bullet like that designed, swapped barrels on the revolver for a faster rifling twist, and worked out a subsonic, or barely supersonic load, and found it would almost go end to end through the average elk. Interesting story, and demonstrates the insane penetration of these bullets!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Penetration: Forces on the bullet are related to the resistance potential of the objects being disrupted, the means of disruption (simplistic considerations: broken, deformed, or pushed aside), frontal area of the object doing the penetrating, and speed (the forces scale in a nonlinear with speed). F always =MA.
    Acceleration is the derivitive of speed (rate of change in speed). So F = M * rate of change of speed.
    If the forces are less because the penetration path begins at lower speed, and remains so, along with the mass being higher, the rate of change of speed will be less. Less proportion of speed is lost along a given penetration distance.

The result is: as the object obtains proportionally more of its energy from mass rather that speed, the penetration potential will increase.

The tradeoff is always trajectory and recoil impulse.

Many folks get amazed by high velocity (written about a lot). Plenty to admire w/ high momentum projectiles too.

i,ll bet that bullet would be a doozy in my ruger #1 in .460 S&W.

Boolit Buddy

I am curious how the bullets will group. Our 460 can group under 2" at 100 yards with 200 grainers but even going to 240 the groups open up to about 3". We shoot 2 cast; a 265 and a 310. With the cast, the 265 seems to be the more consistent but this sample is so small I don't draw any conclusions. I hope the 500 is a winner for you.

Ok got out this weekend and shot my first 5 509gr bullets. Tested for pressure and reliability. Loads were extremely stout but manageable. Didn’t test for groups but out of 5 I hit The 6” steel 2 times. I’ll keep updating this as I progress. Fun fact! A Bushnell TR25 will NOT hold up to this load. It self destructed after the 3rd round.