Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So how bad did I do ?

It's not a deal that I would be clicking my heels all the way home unless there was something in there that I needed & couldn't find. Overall it is a fair price IMO. Now the question is whether you now buy guns for the molds.

Boolit Master

I think both of you did ok. You got a good deal and he got a fair price. Win win.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

The value to a person is completely dependent on the purpose / goal in mind.

Flipping items to generate revenue? Better buy them less than 1/2 value, better at 1/5 or less.

Buying things you have immediate use for? If condition is perfectly useful, and no hidden wear aspects like fatigue come into play, I suppose up to at your door retail is OK.

Buying things you might use? Personal judgement, but while I used to do that I got stuck too many times, so now I avoid the purchase if I can't use it or flip it.

Boolit Buddy

i usually am cheap as others have mentioned! When I get home I goggle the items I bought. There are deals out there and there are DEALS out there. Go for it. GW

Got about 40 very detailed pictures of everything I'm going to uploading for y'all soon
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Like above, I'd keep anything I even think I might use for now. Maybe in a few years start selling off what I don't need anymore.

I've slimmed down several times in the last 40 years and each time I've let something go I should have held on to.

Boolit Master
    Gun show prices I’m willing to entertain (depending), or at least see disappearing from tables:

Boolit sizers $10-15/ea

Boolit moulds $30-35/cavity

Lubrisizer maybe $60-90, if used

All depending on what I “need” at the moment.

But there are “lab fees” involved in the training of the journeyman bargain hunter, (particularly in putting the brakes on the “impulse buying” excitement), and if the moulds and lubrisizer are in “as new” condition, you probably got everything for no more than new stuff from a gun store nowadays. People are glomming onto loading equipment, and to a lesser extent, casting equipment, more these days than they used to.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Soooo I done goofed today big time. Not the end of the world but been beating myself up for a little bit for not paying attention and letting my excitement get the better of me. Anyhow went on a 4hr drive for medical appointment and decided to make it into kinda a road trip ,hitting up a bunch of guns stores on the way back home looking for reloading supplies . Found alot of good deals and was riding that shoppers high like a bull when I saw this box at one place as I was walking out. Was being sold as one lot. Asked the price and they said whatever was on the lube sizer plus 25% off. Thought I saw one price that would have made this the mother load of my life soooo I just told them take my money basically and didn't even look at the receipt.....until I was two hours away.... Aaannnd all sales are final. Not gonna make a big huff about it was my fault not theirs. I know I know I'm an idiot , just trying to laugh this off and that it as a lesson learned honestly,it's fine though bills are paid freezers stocked and my work boots have another month or two in them lol ! Anyhow wanted to know what everyone though all this would be worth. Most of these molds are actually still int he plastic and look like they where never used ! All steel. And the lubsizer looks pretty dang mint ! Thinking about keeping the 30 cal stuff and selling off the rest to recover something from my blunder here . Anyhow what's the total for a set up like this looking like in today market?
    Man, that's hard to say on value... As what I value something at isn't necessarily what the market values it at. But I'll give it a shot...

Lyman 450 - Gonna say no more than $100. You can buy a Heated 4500 for $250 new, or a used one for $150.
    7x Molds - Generally I consider most used 2-Cav molds in usable condition to be worth around $60-70 unless they're collectible. So maybe $420-490 for the lot.
    6x Sizer Dies - New they're about $30/pc. For used, I'd probably give $20 if they're in good condition. Less if they're heavily worn or damaged - this is unlikely. So $120ish...

All together I'd say you've got about $640 to $710 for the lot. That is making a guess as to what others might pay in this market.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master
    I disagree with the advice to hold one to stuff you do not have a need for in the next year or so. It is "useless junk" that has cash tied up. Waiting for the market to increase is not a smart move. You are not talking months but years.

When you have "junk", you will be tempted to buy "useless guns" to use the "junk" you do not need. You can tell I am not an enabler.

it is easy to justify having lots of stuff when you have family to leave it to, but you are not at that point in life. BTW, I thought I was doing that until my son married a woke "princess". Now, none of my stuff has a home when I pass. I have not accumulated "junk" and luckily most of it is selling quickly. In the last few months, I have sold over $30k of guns and there are more going down the road.

Look at the stuff and be brutally honest. If it has a place in your plans for what you want to do in the next year or two keep it; otherwise sell it to guys here who think differently and love accumulating stuff. If they believe their own BS they can buy it, hold on to it for years, and "make a killing"...LOL.

When you make a mistake, learn from it. You are an adult and practical man. Good luck.
    Last edited by dverna; 03-14-2023 at 03:37 PM.
    Don Verna

I did something similar, although not as much money involved. If you broke even on this deal, it would still be worthwhile. If you really want to maximize your return you should probably look into the auction type sites, rather than sell at a set price. I think you did all right.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Btw I'm not posting these to try and sell them. Just seeing if they been properly taken care of. I know Jack about steel molds

MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Actually a little weird about these two, they look kinda dinged up on the inside which I hope there not be j really wanna keep all the 30cals

MS Army Guard 2016-2021

MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Moderator Emeritus

I think that is mostly grease on the 30's. I also think you paid very close to 2023 used values. Many of us would like to pick up something for less but the RCBS molds sell for $80 used and move quickly on S&S, The RN 358 is a great 380 mold and the 357 is useful. The sizing dies move for $20-25 and you have duplicates. No need to keep those.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    All of those molds look quite serviceable. I wouldn't have any problems using any of them from what I can see here. But obviously how they cast is yet to be seen.

As for experience with iron molds, you'll find they are superb. Iron, once it gets up to casting temp, is better in my opinion than aluminum or brass. Although brass is a VERY close second castability, but lacks a little in durability. If you haven't cast anything with iron mold before I highly suggest giving them a try before deciding to let them go. At least the ones that are in calibers you load for....
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

not bad molds about 75 each so thats 375
    sizers at 20 each thats 120
    lube sizer maybe 150
    so maybe 650 or so you can sell off the molds and get some back not a bad deal not good but you will live

also new molds should sell well on flebay

Boolit Master
    Just doing a quick look at what you got there and throwing new prices at it, I'd say you would spend at least $900 plus tax and shipping to get the same items. It all boils down to how many of the items you need/want vs how many you don't. I am of a mind set to go out and buy a new gun to justify a mold or set of dies that I got a deal on so I'm very liberal on labeling something a bargain. I can understand you being irritated since you thought you were paying way less but you still got a fair price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast