Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    I assume this is hollow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is an SB-2.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grayone View Post
    That is an SB-2.
    Thanks. Have located various barrels on Fleebay. Seems the barrels cost more than what I paid for the whole gun lol.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Good work. So, if you can when you get time, see if you can see any light coming through between barrel and breech. Also let me know if you ever had problems with rifle unlocking after a shot? Thx
    No light between the barrel and the breech in the 45/70. I do have a .44 mag Handi Rifle and it unlocks about 75% of the time. Very disconcerting to say the least. There may be a fractional amount of light between the barrel and breech on it. I don't use the .44 very much. It is just in the safe. The 45/70 is the go to rifle for close in brush hunting. It has never unlocked on me. I have a other rifles for more open hunts.
    Last edited by JoseBob; 03-21-2023 at 10:42 AM. Reason: left out sentence

Boolit Master
    Too much lubrication on breech locking area (ramp lower barrel) can cause unlocking which usually indicates it is right on ragged edge of proper fitting. I had one that did this occasionally, a little fine compound on shelf and worked a couple times then torn down and cleaned all really well and fixed. I believe a search over on Greybeards there are several discussions on this topic/process. It is a low and slow attempt, file or grind too difficult to control quality of fit, compound perfectly mates the two but too much bad, so sad!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Too much lubrication on breech locking area (ramp lower barrel) can cause unlocking which usually indicates it is right on ragged edge of proper fitting. I had one that did this occasionally, a little fine compound on shelf and worked a couple times then torn down and cleaned all really well and fixed. I believe a search over on Greybeards there are several discussions on this topic/process. It is a low and slow attempt, file or grind too difficult to control quality of fit, compound perfectly mates the two but too much bad, so sad!
    Makes sense. I am leaning towards this rifle not being shot a whole and needs some breaking in. If I slam it shut firmly, I don't get any "light" creeping through! Will clean thoroughly and check out Greybeards. I used to have an old Topper model .410 that upon closing the action I would hear a distinct "click".

Boolit Master
    Graybeards forum has all the info, tips etc. you could ever need on these rifles. The fit of barrel to receiver is the key to fixing the opening after firing problem.
    Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master

HR Handi R 45-70

Deleted
    Last edited by Dieselhorses; 03-23-2023 at 09:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    The Handi was sold in 500 S&W. I have one I bought brand new years ago. The 500 has a larger base area and was designed with a 65000 operating pressure. Loading to Ruger pressure is acceptable. I know guys who love recoil . You can get it with a Handi.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Ya know...
    I hate to urinate in the punch bowl but my HR hasn't been out of the safe in close to fifteen years. It's too light for anything more than target loads, for one thing. Fun to shoot, I guess but that's about it.
    And I was Not impressed by the way the breech used to pop open when firing - even with light loads - unless I slammed it shut before pulling the trigger. I know, there's a simple fix but a Brand New rifle shouldn't behave that way, the owner shouldn't have to fix it, and The Manufacturer Should Never Let It Leave The Shop In That Condition.
    If mine was unique I'd call it a fluke but mine was one of many with that same problem. I'll never own another.
    Sorry. Rant Off.
    Removing all oil from the locking surfaces will usually fix this. It's a common problem.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    The Handi was sold in 500 S&W. I have one I bought brand new years ago. The 500 has a larger base area and was designed with a 65000 operating pressure. Loading to Ruger pressure is acceptable. I know guys who love recoil . You can get it with a Handi.
    I just scanned over the .500's pressures in the Lyman 4th and didn't see anything over 44000. I wonder (with some fitting) will a .500 barrel mate up to my frame? There are quite a few barrels for the H&R on eBay.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    Removing all oil from the locking surfaces will usually fix this. It's a common problem.
    It sure did! Locks up snug as a bug now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123