WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vortex Diamondback scopes?

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    huntinlever, I own a couple of Vortex Crossfires and they seeem to work fine but they are on range toy rifles. If I wanted to stake a hunting trip on my scope AND I was looking for a budget priced piece of glass, it would be a Burris Fullfield II. I have had their pistol scopes on some real connons and have a couple of the 3x9 FF II's on hunting rifles that generate substantial recoil and they have never balked. The one on my 280 Ackley has gone to Alaska 2 times and the baggage goons had their way with the aluminum case to the point that I had to replace it but the Burris held its zero ever since I set the zero 15 YRS AGO. I understand that their warranty is a very good one but I have never had to use it. All the warranties in the world are little comfort when your scope goes haywire 500 miles from home and you are sitting in a stand.
    Yeah, I've heard really, really good things about the FFII. The Leu arrived and I mounted it but if I don't like it, I'll return it and the FF is the one I'm trying.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    My Diamondback is made in the Philippines mine sits on top of a pretty heavy hitting muzzleloader, as stated previously
    can't compare to a Leopold these are on the lines of Weaver scopes kind of mid level scopes, imo
    the only higher end scopes I have are made by Swarovski and Ziess
    Wish I could afford a higher end scope. Those brands are stellar. Down the road, maybe!
    -Paul

Let us know how you like it once you get it mounted and shoot it.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    huntinlever where are you located?
    I am in Sun Prairie
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    Less expensive scopes work until they don’t.

More expensive scopes can fail too, but may be less likely to fail.

I have fired a .338 WM, and it has a lot of recoil. On an important hunt, a better quality scope would be prudent.

One option is to purchase a used scope if funds are limited.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

I have fired a .338 WM, and it has a lot of recoil. On an important hunt, a better quality scope would be prudent.

Good caution Don. Anything in particular come to mind? Steve Rinella, whom I generally like, loves his Razors. I only know Vortex and Leu's, and have not had anything more than their lower end on either.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    When my Nikon failed after being dropped, I purchased a Vortex Viper I got on sale. I would not put a less expensive scope on a hunting rifle. It has good clarity and tracks accurately.

I do not have any experience with other decent scopes to give you direction. I would PM Larry Gibson and tap his experience. He has decades of experience and has done “serious work”.

Good luck.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

I’ve used Leupold scopes since the early 70’s and only had one problem and that was with one thatI bought used from my buddy that owns a pawn shop. He had a 3 X9 VarX II that was mounted on a 10/22 he had for sale. After winning our normal coin flip price negation processI bought it for $100. I had just swapped for a new Winchester Model 70 featherweight that needed a good scope so I installed the VarX II. As it turned out the gun didn’t want to hold zero. I blamed the rifle and foolishly traded it off. I just knew it couldn’t be a problem with a Leupold. Unfortunately when I put the scope on old reliable 7 mag it was obvious that the scope was the problem. I sent it to Leupold and they fixed whatever was wrong and the scope’s been flawless ever since. However I probably sent a fine rifle “down the line” for no reason. My fault for assuming.

Leupold scopes, like the .30/06 are never a mistake.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Good caution Don. Anything in particular come to mind? Steve Rinella, whom I generally like, loves his Razors. I only know Vortex and Leu's, and have not had anything more than their lower end on either.
    I would second Don's caution. The 'rule' is to spend as much or more on the scope as you do the rifle. I might add in that the more you are spending on the hunt the more you should spend on the rifle/scope. Then the recoil factor and you should probably spend as much as you can afford on the scope, or, as Dan suggested, look for a good used one.

When I hunted I never had the money for good rifles or scopes, but, I wasn't going far to hunt and if the gun failed I just went home. Given that, I never had a gun or scope fail. My most used scope was a Tasco, bought at a Kmart for $25 (early 1980's). That scope survived two rifles and two inline muzzle loaders and never missed a beat. A relative still has it on his muzzle loader.

Would I recommend a cheap scope on a heavy recoil rifle on an expensive cross-country or other country hunting trip? Not. Might have one like it as a backup though. But, I'd probably have a second rifle on the trip with me as well.

Apologies for the late reply all. Thanks for the posts. I hear you. I can just see finally heading out to MT or CO, and find my scope has tanked in the field. We do have a few years out so given finances, we'll have to plan accordingly. Until then we track in our northern bigger woods, and my gg is all I use. Though we will also have the chance to do an antlerless hunt in more open terrain and for that I would like to break out the .338 WM.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    And if you can't afford a second rifle then carry a second scope. Pic rails are good for that.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    And if you can't afford a second rifle then carry a second scope. Pic rails are good for that.
    Just confirming you mean, a cheaper backup scope, right? I'll be carrying the 45-70, likely with its Leu FX II 2.5 x 20, and then this 338. I have time so it makes sense to save for the better scope on the 338. My instinct says go with the good optics and if for some reason the scope on one is iffy, I have the other rifle (though each is better suited to its terrain).
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    That is a good choice.

And, yes, I meant a cheaper scope. But, if you are taking two rifles all the better. Spend all the money on the one scope.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12