Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Diamondback scopes?

Vortex Diamondback scopes?

Well, got a Leu Freedom 4-12 x 40, which Fedex has lost, apparently, and I'll have to chase after getting that dealt with.

I've always had Leu scopes. But I have had and have liked the Vortex Diamondback binoculars I've used. It got me to thinking - not the Razor line, but still - for a value scope and modest pricing, how do people like the Diamondback scopes, specifically to mount on a heavy hitter like a 338 WM, for rugged, mountain conditions?
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    I’ve got a 4X16 Diamondback on my .308. I’ve had it for 3 or 4 years and I’m satisfied with it. I use the moa designations on the reticle to occasionally shoot long range (up to 1000 yds but mostly no further than 600) and it works well. Glass quality is ok but not on par with the high end versions. I’d say for the money it’s a solid scope.

Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    I’ve got a 4X16 Diamondback on my .308. I’ve had it for 3 or 4 years and I’m satisfied with it. I use the moa designations on the reticle to occasionally shoot long range (up to 1000 yds but mostly no further than 600) and it works well. Glass quality is ok but not on par with the high end versions. I’d say for the money it’s a solid scope.
    Thanks much. Any thoughts on how it compares to the Leu Freedom line?

Edit: Actually I did just see something - the Diamondback has a 3.1" eye relief and the Leu has 3.7-4.9" eye relief. Important to me with the .338 WM, so I guess that answers the question for me.
    Last edited by huntinlever; 03-13-2023 at 02:39 PM.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one on my 40 cal inline muzzleloader
    it works real well
    I can't complain about it
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    I've got a half dozen vortex diamondbacks & crossfires. I love 'em.

How does the Vortex guarantee measure up to Leupold’s lifetime guarantee ?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Burris Fullfield II FTW. I have three of them on different rifles and they are awesome.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Shawlerbrook;5549191]How does the Vortex guarantee measure up to Leupold’s lifetime guarantee ?[/

I’ve still have 3 and sold one but I can’t tell you about the warranty because I’ve never had a reason to send one back.

Boolit Master
    I have a Diamondback (4-16x42) and a Viper PST (5-25x50) and I like both of them. Don't know about the warranty cause I have not needed it. FWIW, both track really well, even after thousands of rounds. But, I do not hunt, so they go from a solid gun case to the bench and back. Don't know what they'd do under a seat in a truck.

I consider them a good deal for low and moderate cost scopes.

I have only had one Leupold, a 4x on my Contender. It did well, but, it was a hunting scope. Banged around a lot. Didn't play with the turrets much. So, I can't compare it to the Vortex models.

Boolit Master
    I like my three Diamondback 4-12x40's - I specifically purchased the older Philippine-mfg ones, and have served me very well indeed.

I believe the new Diamondbacks are China-mfg; the portion of membership that complain about so many things being China-mfg don't seem to worry so much about the China scopes that they are buying, maybe ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    [...] I've always had Leu scopes. But I have had and have liked the Vortex Diamondback binoculars I've used. It got me to thinking - not the Razor line, but still - for a value scope and modest pricing, how do people like the Diamondback scopes, specifically to mount on a heavy hitter like a 338 WM, for rugged, mountain conditions?
    I hear you on the Leupold scopes; I certainly value mine for a number of reasons, one being that they continue to be US-mfg.

With regards to your Leupold binocs; my primary set has been Leupold Katmai semi-compacts, which I have been very pleased with over the past 15 years.

I recently added more modern Vortex Viper semi-compacts (again, Phillippine-mfg), which I really like.
    But again, I continue to have no interest with the newest China-mfg Vortex binocs.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 03-15-2023 at 09:22 AM.

Boolit Master
    My Diamondback was made in China. My other two (Viper HS and Viper HST) were made in the Philippines.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    I like my three Diamondback 4-12x40's - I specifically purchased the older Philippine-mfg ones, and have served me very well indeed.

I believe the new Diamondbacks are China-mfg; the portion of membership that complain about so many things being China-mfg don't seem to worry so much about the China scopes that they are buying, maybe ?
    +1

I've got one Vortex Diamondback and it was purchased recently. It's a 1.75-5 and the box and scope are both marked "Made in Phillipines". That's the only reason for buying it. Glass is fairly good and the clicks respond well but the eye relief is too short. I wouldn't want it on a hard kicker. It's no Leupold but it's not easy to find low power Leupolds in stock lately.

Thanks for the input guys. I'd completely forgotten the reason I switched off the Vortex years ago was exactly because I got a nice kiss from the scope with my hot-loaded 45-70. I liked the glass, but the eye relief wasn't up to it. I switched to a fixed 2.5 Leu. Now, with the .338 WM, the extra relief provided by the Leu is a go for me. I debated about moving from the 2-7 to the 4-12, but after all felt it's a good fit for the Ruger and I wouldn't mind the range. I may end up going back to the 2-7, but I'll be sticking with Leu.

I wasn't even aware until recently the the Diamondback line is now being made in China - though it sounds like maybe not all? That for me would also be a dealbreaker.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master

It depends on the type of Vortex scope. Vortex can be built in China, Philippines, Japan or the United States.

https://opticsforce.com/blogs/news/w...ex-scopes-made
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-15-2023 at 01:11 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Of the 4 I have owned Vortex replaced 3 outright with the same model, the fourth they sent an upgrade. I've gone to Burris for my less expensive scopes.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    I have lots of leupolds and never needed to utilize their warranty. I have about 5 vortex products and needed their warranty services 3 times.

I haven't remounted the last one because I went with a leupold in the interim.

I never had an issue where vortex balked or even took excessive time on the repair, but one of the reasons manufacturers offer such a warranty is to represent their trust in the quality of their product. In that regard leupold IMHO has been superior.

YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    It depends on the type of Vortex scope. Vortex can be built in China, Philippines, Japan or the United States.

https://opticsforce.com/blogs/news/w...ex-scopes-made
    Thanks.
    -Paul

huntinlever, I own a couple of Vortex Crossfires and they seeem to work fine but they are on range toy rifles. If I wanted to stake a hunting trip on my scope AND I was looking for a budget priced piece of glass, it would be a Burris Fullfield II. I have had their pistol scopes on some real connons and have a couple of the 3x9 FF II's on hunting rifles that generate substantial recoil and they have never balked. The one on my 280 Ackley has gone to Alaska 2 times and the baggage goons had their way with the aluminum case to the point that I had to replace it but the Burris held its zero ever since I set the zero 15 YRS AGO. I understand that their warranty is a very good one but I have never had to use it. All the warranties in the world are little comfort when your scope goes haywire 500 miles from home and you are sitting in a stand.
    Last edited by murf205; 03-15-2023 at 12:44 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    My Diamondback is made in the Philippines mine sits on top of a pretty heavy hitting muzzleloader, as stated previously
    can't compare to a Leopold these are on the lines of Weaver scopes kind of mid level scopes, imo
    the only higher end scopes I have are made by Swarovski and Ziess
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast