Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Looking into new stillhunting outwear, replacing old wool shirtjacs, etc.

Looking into new stillhunting outwear, replacing old wool shirtjacs, etc.

Doing the unthinkable and looking into using something other than our old Johnson Mills checkered woolen shirt jacs, pants, etc. A motley collection of pure wool, whether newer or vintage off of fleabay.

Don't know much about modern stuff. We don't really stand hunt, almost all of our deer hunting is stalking and tracking in the Upper Midwest big woods, lots of miles daily. Rain and inclement weather can be an issue with the wool, though we've always just sucked it up. So, recommendations for a new setup.

Same goes for boots while we're here. Have always just used uninsulated La Crosse with poly liners and good thick wool socks. Quiet, but traction is never good. In an ideal world, silent as moccasins yet good support and gripping for steep rock/shale climbs, tall order.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Cabelas waterproof work boots do it for me, decent traction and not ungodly heavy. If it's cold Danner Pronghorn insulated do good too

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Cabelas waterproof work boots do it for me, decent traction and not ungodly heavy. If it's cold Danner Pronghorn insulated do good too
    Thanks much. I'll look into them.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Stick with the wool, Best for sneaking. Danner makes good boots with lug soles. A fairly new product is called hush hide, soft, quiet,
    has a breathable liner, so some what water resident, parka and pants, warm for stump sitting, wind proof... Have used both in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Stick with the wool, Best for sneaking. Danner makes good boots with lug soles. A fairly new product is called hush hide, soft, quiet,
    has a breathable liner, so some what water resident, parka and pants, warm for stump sitting, wind proof... Have used both in the past.
    I like wool, love it in fact. The biggest thing I have to work out is good layering, and packing right for a remote mountain hunt, including bivy camping in the wilderness, so being able to shed and wear what's needed on the move with everything in the hunting backpack. Easier in our northwoods to do, because even in our larger tracts of national forest, we primitive camp in, but we're lucky to be even a few miles out from any drivable road. So knowing what to wear is easy. I know the Danners and from what I can tell, they're a great option, thanks. Didn't know about the hush hide. I'll check it out.

An irony - I've lost something like 70 pounds, and my little fireplug from Estonian farmer stock is massive across the shoulders - 5' 5, whereas I'm 6' 2" (222), but the kid is about 3X stronger than me from rugby and training, and easily fills out my old 3X tall Johnson Mills Jac Shirt. A bit comical as my side has ridiculously long torsos and arms, comparably shorter legs. So needed the 3X tall when I was approaching 290. Too long for him but it works. I'm a bit too big for his old L Shirt Jac, so I'll probably be buying an XL Tall from Johnson Mills.

I'll be re-listing the Large Shirt Jac at some point, likely. This clothing has stood the test of time for me.

Thanks again all. Good stuff.
    -Paul