WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Lead

Boolit Man

Shipping Lead

I would like to sell off some lead. I am looking for some shipping options. Small flatrate boxes seems about right. What do other people do?

Boolit Master

At the USPO you are limited to:
    Weight less than 70 lbs and dimensions smaller than 13-5/8" x 12" x 5-1/2"

A SFRB (inside dims: 8 ⅝” x 5 ⅜” x 1 ⅝”) poured solid as lead (0.41 lb. per cubic inch) will not exceed the USPO 70lb. upper limit in weight.

The inside SFRB Volume is 75.334 cubic inches,
    times 0.41 pounds per cubic inch,
    equals 30.887 pounds.

The MFRB Volume (inside: 11” x 8 ½” x 5 ½”) is 514.25 cubic inches
    will hold 210.84 pounds of solid lead
    which exceeds the 70-pound upper limit by a factor of three (3).

Your options for shipping "large" quantities of lead through the USPO are limited.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

With 1# ingots, sfrb gets about 20. Taped well, not an issue getting there. Going mfrb, i use the small boxes, then put them in the medium, use empty boxes to fill the voids, about 40#.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    With 1# ingots, sfrb gets about 20. Taped well, not an issue getting there. Going mfrb, i use the small boxes, then put them in the medium, use empty boxes to fill the voids, about 40#.
    Yes! If you are going to ship in the Medium or Large Flat Rate Boxes then the "boxes within the box" method is the way to go. Wrap those boxes (all of them) with fiberglass-reinforced tape, NEVER trust the USPS "sticky-stuff" on the boxes to hold the box together. They will throw and drop those heavy boxes with no concern for the contents, wrap them like you know they will want to destroy them, 'cuz they do!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dipper View Post
    I would like to sell off some lead. I am looking for some shipping options. Small flatrate boxes seems about right. What do other people do?
    Thanks for the replys. I assume when adding taped ingots to the casting pot the tape will act as flux. How about building an ingot mold to fill the inside of the SFRB?

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the replys. I assume when adding taped ingots to the casting pot the tape will act as flux. How about building an ingot mold to fill the inside of the SFRB?
    Lakehouse is selling Cast Boolit ingot molds that fit the USPS flat rate boxes. I have used the small size boxes quite a bit. The post office hate the medium boxes! The 70# limit rule was their doing but they still hate it!

If packing 1# ingots, they fit tightly in a sfrb, no taping of ingots. The issue with large ingots, they dont fit smaller pots. I did a trade & a guy sent me an 8” dia frypan ingot? WTH am i supposed to do with that? Ingots should be 1-3# max & a shape/size that fits a lee 20# pot.
    Last edited by fredj338; 03-20-2023 at 04:27 PM.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Lake house’s molds throw ingots that weigh two to two and a half pounds (depends on how full you fill the mold and what alloy is being cast) and are a great shape for sfrb mailing as well as fitting into a 20# pot. They also bridge the top of the pot for secure preheating.

I haven’t done it, but I think the small flat rate priority mail boxes fit inside a medium, so that you can box Lakehouse ingots in the small boxes and fit them snugly in the medium for shipping without shifting in the box, which I think makes damage in handling more likely.

If the tape has any plastic or real fiberglas in it, it might not burn well and may make a mess in a pot.

Boolit Master
    I've shipped lead using the MFRB lined with 1" foam board to strengthen the sides, top and bottom. Tightly packed and keeping the weight to 68-69 pounds, with the box completely taped with packing tape all made it safely to their destination. I would print the shipping label and schedule the pickup using the USPS app. Simple to do and made sure I was present at pick-up in case the mail person needed help.

Boolit Master

I've been shipping lead in MFRB with no more than 50 lbs(actually 52 or 53). Difficult to lift and move without handles. Or, maybe its because I'm 80 years old. I tried one with 60+ lbs and could barely get it over the counter to the scale. The lady at the window sure wouldn't have been able to handle it.
    John
    W.TN

When I knew that I had heavy boxes of lead being delivered, I would put my handcart at the end of the driveway for my mail lady. Then, one day somebody stole it. Can’t have nothing!
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Leaving stuff at the curb is the signal that it is free for the taking in my area. I leave the hand truck by the fence gate where the mailman knows where it is if needed. Sorry you lost the hand truck.

If I had the idea to take something from another’s property, I would at least ask.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

Anything that I want to get rid of goes out to the curb and it is gone in no time!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Anything that I want to get rid of goes out to the curb and it is gone in no time!
    If you really want it gone in a hurry, put it out with a $50 price tag on it.

Boolit Master

Stopped to ask about some wood furniture out at the road. Guy said it was free. He even went out and helped me load it. When we got back out there I saw the "FREE" sign that had fallen down out of sight.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Man
    I made some molds to fit the SFRB. 4 ingots ~7.5lbs each. I shipped a lot of lead that way when I was in the business.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ingot.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	312094

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Soon the powers that be may classify them as HazMat. Imagine how that will effect shipping costs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truckload.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	312112 Back in the day.. No telling how many PO Workers I put on Workman's Comp.
    Over the year have only lost a few to damage. I cut out of cardboard a second and third layer inside the MFRB. Use fiber taper and let her rip. At one time the PO paid on my insurance claim more than I sold them for, I made more money if they lost them. I had a Customer in FL, the PO would not deliver, The PO just put them in there storage room and paid the insurance claim. One day he when to mail something and they said they were holding something for him, Open the room and there was 8 Boxes of lead. As for ingot size. REDNECKGOLD ingots. Movement in the box is what cause them to bust open. I try and never use SFRB because this is small enough for the PO to toss around. Heavy weighs they have to set down.... I ship NC to AK and HI $ 14 what a deal.. As for it being HazMat, that hasn't stopped the WeedMan.
    I would rather fish. Can you shoot fish ?
    ><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>`• .¸¸.•´¯[_____]””””””

Boolit Master
    I have not sold any of my lead in a while. But when I do, they are shipped with a wood crate built inside the medium flat rate box. Not one has been broken open. It does add to the total cost of the lead, but the people I sell to........... get that box intact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast