RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gunstock crack prevention?

If I had room, I think the mesh method would work nicely. After reading you responses, I think this might work. I’m also going to try soaking some epoxy from the back side into the hair ling crack I have on my double barrel foreend if for no other reason but to keep it from getting worse. Wish I had thought of this before the crack appeared.
    Thanks for all your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by johnksr View Post
    I never heard of using super glue to strengthen wood.

Ooraa porthos
    Model airplane builders use the technique quite a lot. Makes balsa much stronger without adding much weight, and keeps oil from soaking in.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Pen makers do it to helps prevent stress cracks and is a hard finish hat resists wear and scratches.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnksr View Post
    If I had room, I think the mesh method would work nicely. After reading you responses, I think this might work. I’m also going to try soaking some epoxy from the back side into the hair ling crack I have on my double barrel foreend if for no other reason but to keep it from getting worse. Wish I had thought of this before the crack appeared.
    Thanks for all your feedback.
    Please give a Follow Up as well...Owning a Ruger 96/44, I too have Stock Concerns..

Boolit Grand Master

USe an blow gun set at 30-50 psi apply epoxy over the crack and use the air pressure to push it into the crack a rubber tipped blow gun works well. Once the epxy is pushed in use rubber bands to pull it together.

Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    You could proactively install some stock repair pins in areas that would be prone to cracking. They are basically threaded brass pins that are coated with epoxy and screwed into pre-drilled holes. Once the epoxy has dried clip off any excess and dress down to flush.
    Attachment 311718 My FN Mauser had a hairline crack between the recoil lug and magazine well. I wedged a thin blade knife blade into the crack and worked a dab of Acraglas Gel into the crack but before I did this I pre drilled a small hole all the way through. Then I coated a #6 brass screw with acraglas and ran it all the way through to the other side. Same treatment behind the mag well. When everything set up, I filled the soft brass down flush and finished taking the hideous cheek piece off the otherwise decent stock. This old gun has digested a LOT of 200-220gr Noslers with 'nary a crack since.Attachment 311719
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy

My thoughts, are these Ruger 44 rifles are getting collectable, and I think you would hurt the value if you pro-actively made a repair that wasn't needed (such as pins, removing wood, epoxy).
    When making knives, I use a super thin CA glue and it soaks into the wood and without looking like you made a repair. It does add strength as well as keep moisture and oil out. There are many viscosities of CA glue, from super thin to thick. The thin stuff penetrates very well and looks like a coat of finish and nothing more. I am only talking about applying inside the stock in the barrel channel and action area, not the outside. Wipe the excess with a cotton t-shirt scrap so you don't have messy looking areas and it will dry quickly.
    That said, you can also use the Rot Doctor type stuff, there are different brands sold at the home improvement stores and it is thin.
    I also suggest practice with scrap wood so you can make your own mind up.
    Dan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oconeedan View Post
    My thoughts, are these Ruger 44 rifles are getting collectable, and I think you would hurt the value if you pro-actively made a repair that wasn't needed (such as pins, removing wood, epoxy).
    When making knives, I use a super thin CA glue and it soaks into the wood and without looking like you made a repair. It does add strength as well as keep moisture and oil out. There are many viscosities of CA glue, from super thin to thick. The thin stuff penetrates very well and looks like a coat of finish and nothing more. I am only talking about applying inside the stock in the barrel channel and action area, not the outside. Wipe the excess with a cotton t-shirt scrap so you don't have messy looking areas and it will dry quickly.
    That said, you can also use the Rot Doctor type stuff, there are different brands sold at the home improvement stores and it is thin.
    I also suggest practice with scrap wood so you can make your own mind up.
    Dan
    Probably best way for me in my situation.. Not needing repair.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12