Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Umarex Notos

Boolit Grand Master
    https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inf...1965?amount=60

If you bought that springer in 1965 for $60 that is equivalent to over $550 today. I bet your new gun and scope for $410 are far superior to that Crosman springer...just saying.

BTW, it is one reason I decided guns were not as good an investment as most people want to believe.

Actually, $60 invested in the stock market in 1965 would be worth nearly $15,000 today.

https://www.officialdata.org/us/stoc...0&endYear=2023

I think about the guys patting themselves on the back for buying old surplus rifles back in the day for $15-80. Just not very savvy but it does make them feel good. Guns are to shoot and have fun with...and might be needed to hunt and defend your life with.

Love my guns and will keep the "toys" I want until I die; even if the politicians try to restrict my rights. There is Second Amendment for a reason.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

RANGE REPORT: Well, I've had my Notos for a few days, and finally made/spent an afternoon shooting it. From this, I have a few comments I shall wish to voice:
    1/ The carbine comes unassembled, and one needs screw on the back half -- OR, pistol grips which do NOT come with it, and are an optional accessory -- to use it.
    a) The holes in back half are a smidgeon too small, and needed reaming enlargement by yours truly for assembly.
    b/ NOW the stupidity of the supplied box is clearly revealed, as one must again disassemble it -- four small-headed easily dropped/lost screws -- to put it back into the box.
    1> My "solution" was to purchase an Uncle Mike's take-down shotgun case, which now carries assembled Notos.
    2/ Per another member's suggest, I bought and put on the Bug Buster 3x-9x 'scope (Pyramid Air), and have no comments/thoughts other than GOOD ones. It fits, works, and using the QD mounts is most repeatable.
    3/ I used my Nomad compressor to fill, and this was problem-free. I got an average of 23.5 regulated shots from each fill.
    4/ Albeit "designed for" break-barrel air rifles, I found the Air Venturi .22 Pellet Pen "the cat's meow" for field loading the magazine. No fumbling, dropped pellets, etc..
    5/ Re noise level I was a tad disappointed. While I own no sound level meters, mine sure seems louder than any of my four Benjamin Marauders; or, the AirArms T100 or S100.
    6/ Re accuracy, I took only one pellet to the range: The RWS Superdome 14.5 grain field line pellets. It took me pretty much one magazine to get it sighted in -- I was shooting to target at 37 feet, as measured with a 50' measure tape. Subsequent magazines provided one hole, about the size of a U S quarter-dollar coin. I was most pleased to NOT have/see either a first- or, "last"-shot flyer. Pretty much all my shots were consistant with the goodness (or badness?) of my shooting ability. I was seated at a bench with one huge sand-bag rest between my left hand and and the carbine.
    Would I buy it again? You betcha!
    I did purchase the sight-set from Umarex, too, to put this carbine through its paces as a "pistol". I was having soooo much fun doing the testing/set-up as a carbine I kind of ran out of time.... Maybe (God willing) next time...
    geo

Glad you like it Geo. Mine took a little finageling to get them tiny screw holes lined up too. Wish they'd gone with larger screws.
    Never had any intention of trying to use mine as anything but a carbine. Seems a bit long/heavy to shoot as a pistol to me.
    Try different pellets. I'm sure you can shrink those groups a good bit.
    On those 1st shot flyers.... That may be what really got me loving this thing. Pick it up by the moderator, lean it against a tree,
    lay it down, I don't have to baby it and it holds zero.
    Had mine out yesterday shooting at 40 yards off the bench. Started really close to needing a fill and 1st 5 shots were pretty uniform left to right but near 4 inch vertical spread, guessing it dropped off the regulator. Easy 50 strokes on the hand pump and its full again.
    Gave myself a little time to rest from pumping and did couple chores. When I got back to it, was able to put 15 JSB 14.3 into a group
    I could near cover with a quarter. Just the edges of holes sticking out under the coin. Now I can only do that from a comfortable steady
    shooting position like bags on a bench, but for such a short light carbine, I think it's pretty impressive.
    I'd like to complain about the trigger but honestly, having it this long now and haven't taken it apart to slick up the parts, Guess
    it just doesn't bother me that much.
    Yeah, I would buy it again too

Geo: Did you clean the barrel? You will be surprised how dirty they are from the factory.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    I had been thinking a lot on this notos since I read these posts.
    I had almost “pull the trigger” to buy it a few times. I don’t know yet what is stopping me.
    Great topic!
    Camba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

chutesnreloads I only read though the first page of comments what is the standard used for maximum power in the U.K. is it foot pounds or something else?

I do see that Amazon has five .22 caliber guns in stock I was not to impressed with the pellet weight and velocity. I have a barrel cocking Benjamin .25 caliber that shoots pellets between 34 & 37 foot pounds . It is quite hard to cock and the recoil is heck on scope mounts ! I got the gun when we were looking at homes in Florida were it would be needed for pests . Here I have no restrictions on what I can use so I am using it less and less . Since I bought the gun Michigan also removed air guns from the law so they are no longer considered firearms .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

I believe the maximum without a special permit in the U.K. is 12 ft.lbs.
    I think you'll find the Notos in reality to be equal in power or even better than your break barrel.
    I have a Benjamin break barrel with the "Nitro Piston". Shot over a chronograph, the Notos
    is a little faster with the lighter pellets and considerably better with heavy ones. And it doesn't break scopes.

One thing I've discovered in my limited experience is that the PCPs generally are more efficient with the heavier pellets
    than springers. All three of springers I've owned lose Muzzle energy as pellet weight increases due to less velocity.
    Now that equals out down range with the heavy pellet's higher B.C. but you're 50 or more yards down range before that happens.

For me that is no help in the real world. Pellets do weird things beyond 50 yards especially if there's ANY wind.
    The PCPs on the other hand increase M.E. right from the start as pellet weight goes up. More efficient

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve got one on its way from PyramidAir.
    I think it will be a good hunting air gun for me. Less weight to carry and good enough for squirrels and rabbits under 50 yards.

For reliable headshots, I'd keep it under 35 but,,,,yeah, think you'll be happy with it

Boolit Buddy
    This video helped me to “pull the trigger” and get one.
    It can definitely be a lot of fun.
    And yes. 35 yards for head shots is more likely. Which it is the distance I can see the squirrels when hunting them anyway.

https://youtu.be/5dfL2NYXazU?si=s0orOJb7ys2PrJwa

Camba

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I did receive my Notos this afternoon. I fill up the air tank to 250 bar after I put it together. I used the single shot tray for one shot and then proceeded to load the magazine.
    I noticed mounting the magazine felt kind of tricky but It worked. After emptying the 7-shot magazine I tried to take it out and I was not able to.

Is there any trick to do that?
    Did you have the same issue as I am having?
    Camba

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Camba View Post
    Well, I did receive my Notos this afternoon. I fill up the air tank to 250 bar after I put it together. I used the single shot tray for one shot and then proceeded to load the magazine.
    I noticed mounting the magazine felt kind of tricky but It worked. After emptying the 7-shot magazine I tried to take it out and I was not able to.

Is there any trick to do that?
    Did you have the same issue as I am having?
    Camba

I have had my Notos for a few months and the only "problem" I have had had been, well, putting air into it. For some reason, albeit it works well with a half dozen or so other PCP arms in my stable, I could not get a sufficient seal all the time from Nomad II compressor to the Notos. (My "guess" is their fill tube is slightly out of specs). Anyhoos, I put a 2nd air dryer in line of fill up hose, and this challenge has been met. On the Pyramid Air back-order list, the very day extra magazines came in I ordered (and subsequently received) three extra magazines -- so I now have four. All enter and are removed with zero difficulties! Just as my air-fill tube may be a tad out of whack, this may be the case with your magazine? One really, really great thing is the customer support they offer is a tad better than top-shelf. Ring them -- (479) 646-4210 -- and the odds are more than quite high you will get to speak with a very knowledgeable and helpful person, and if needed, (s)he will eMail you a pre-paid return label for their examination and replacement/repair -- gratis all, under warranty.
    BEST!
    geo

I have a Beeman underlever and occasionally cannot remove the magazine, then I recall, Oh yes, I must cock it first.
    Don't know if it is the same for the Notos, but sometimes the simplest things are the solution.
    Occam's Razor

Boolit Buddy
    I think I figure it out. The magazine goes in a little too much from left to right and it gets misaligned. It gets worst when you close the lever, as it pushes partially the pellet an jams. If I pull it back just a hear, I may be able to chamber the deformed pellet and fire it.
    It does that more often than not.

Boolit Buddy
    Georgerkahn,
    Thank you for the info.
    I called the (479) 640-4210 number and the guy that answered the call basically said they have no issues with the Notos magazine. He said I am welcomed to send my magazine to be tested with their Notos carabine. If it works on theirs, they send the same back. He went on to say that I may not know how to load the magazine. I said to him that I have 4 other PCP rifles and definitely know how to load them.
    Then he said he was responding me with the line he is been given to respond.
    That number is from Umarex.
    I may call again at a different date and maybe I get a better response from a different service person.
    Camba

Yes you definitely need to have the gun cocked to remove the mag cuz of that probe that pushes the pellet into the chamber.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    I kept on playing with it and the key seems to be just to guide the magazine and let the magnet activate. I was pushing it in until stops and that is where it begins to slightly pass the chamber by a little (1/3 past the pellet diameter?).
    Everything else seem to work fine so far.
    I am going to pressurize it and leave it over the weekend to check for air leaks.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes. I did have the gun cocked to pull the magazine out. It did not wanted to come out because it was jammed with a deformed pellet. I had to use a dowel and a rubber mallet (small) and tap tap a couple of times to release it. Basically, the pellet was jammed inside the magazine and the chamber. The bolt would not push it in and I did not force it because it could have been the last shot plastic.
    Anyway, I believe I know now not to push the magazine beyond the magnet stop.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Camba View Post
    Yes. I did have the gun cocked to pull the magazine out. It did not wanted to come out because it was jammed with a deformed pellet. I had to use a dowel and a rubber mallet (small) and tap tap a couple of times to release it. Basically, the pellet was jammed inside the magazine and the chamber. The bolt would not push it in and I did not force it because it could have been the last shot plastic.
    Anyway, I believe I know now not to push the magazine beyond the magnet stop.

Camba -- happy your education was an easy one -- not to push mag beyond mag stop. My first "I should've known" was with a costly air rifle where I elected to clean the barrel -- a patch with Ballistol -- before 1st shooting. OOPS! I did not have the requisite soda straw they do not tell one that should be inserted from muzzle to keep patch forever caught in baffles -- and it was a painful removal! (A trip to gunsmith + $35.00 USD bill!).
    Happy shooting!
    geo

Glad you got it figured out.
    Sometimes I spend an hour looking for a tool only to discover it was in my back pocket.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast