Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Umarex Notos

Boolit Buddy

Have .177's, 22's, and 25 cal air guns. The 25 cal PCP,s (pre charged pneumatics) that are charged with a scuba bottle are very powerful. The German 31gr lead pellets are coming out almost 900fps. I have taken out big boar raccoons with the H&N .25 cal pellets. Lots to consider when making an air gun purchase. I like the fact that they take no primers at $ .10 each and powder at $30/ lb to have fun shooting. Pellets both .177 and .22 are cheap at the Wally Mart! Another consideration!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Have .177's, 22's, and 25 cal air guns. The 25 cal PCP,s (pre charged pneumatics) that are charged with a scuba bottle are very powerful. The German 31gr lead pellets are coming out almost 900fps. I have taken out big boar raccoons with the H&N .25 cal pellets. Lots to consider when making an air gun purchase. I like the fact that they take no primers at $ .10 each and powder at $30/ lb to have fun shooting. Pellets both .177 and .22 are cheap at the Wally Mart! Another consideration!
    You got that right. Not wasting primers to plink with. I am a convert too.

I have been looking at getting a .25. Just too cheap to spend $7-10/100 when I am getting good accuracy with $1.25/100 Crosman .22's. I fhad to eradicate varmints in around neighbors, a .25 would be a great choice.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    I picked up a Notos last month and promptly chopped off the fake bag rider for greater comfort on my wrist. I have also been working with a couple good men that designed and printed several moderator inserts for me.

Does it NEED a different insert? No, it sounds fine BUT if I can drop the dB by 6, I can hit Starlings and HOSP's without the whole flock leaving the area.

I did have to remove the barrel and really scrub the barrel, it was filthy! I ran JB Bore Paste then metal polish, heated the bore and waxed it to help with leading. Shoots nicely at 30y, I will not go further with it, too much chance of a wounded bird not a DRT.
    Attachment 312487
    Attachment 312488
    Yep, All kind of gunk in the barrel but was easy to clean with a few patches. 30 yards is a respectable distance for these short little carbines.
    Quite accurate until about 30 yards and then I'm struggling to hold really nice groups. Some of that may be the cheap scope and my trigger is still stock from the factory. Think biggest trouble for longer range accuracy is just finding a steady hold. Not used to such a short gun.
    But then 30 yards was it's farthest intended range when I got it anyway.

Moderator Emeritus

I picked up a Notos last month and promptly chopped off the fake bag rider for greater comfort on my wrist. I have also been working with a couple good men that designed and printed several moderator inserts for me.

Does it NEED a different insert? No, it sounds fine BUT if I can drop the dB by 6, I can hit Starlings and HOSP's without the whole flock leaving the area.

I did have to remove the barrel and really scrub the barrel, it was filthy! I ran JB Bore Paste then metal polish, heated the bore and waxed it to help with leading. Shoots nicely at 30y, I will not go further with it, too much chance of a wounded bird not a DRT.
    Attachment 312487
    Attachment 312488
    I received an eMail from MidwayUSA indicating MY NOTOS is still on back-order, but with the price (birthday pricing) I got it for, I can wait a bit... QUESTION: Might you share the brand, model, and height of the rings you put on yours? 'Tis a MOST pleasing the eye outfit!
    Thanks!
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I received an eMail from MidwayUSA indicating MY NOTOS is still on back-order, but with the price (birthday pricing) I got it for, I can wait a bit... QUESTION: Might you share the brand, model, and height of the rings you put on yours? 'Tis a MOST pleasing the eye outfit!
    Thanks!
    geo
    It's a 3X12 Bug Buster, they come with rings!

Boolit Master
    Sure some good threads on these at AG Nation.

Yupper, I started the aftermarket printed moderator thing over there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230403_175903.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	312807

Been following all the Notos threads over there. Doubt I'll modify mine other than trigger work but it's good to read what others are doing.
    BTW, try the JSB Exact 14.35 gr. They are a little pricier but so far the absolute most accurate in mine

Quote Originally Posted by chutesnreloads View Post
    Been following all the Notos threads over there. Doubt I'll modify mine other than trigger work but it's good to read what others are doing.
    BTW, try the JSB Exact 14.35 gr. They are a little pricier but so far the absolute most accurate in mine
    True that but I keep the Notos to 30y or so, the JSB's are better suited for a longer range gun IMHO.

Agree with the 30 yard limit. Been doing that with several AGs for a long while. Range guesstimation farther is just too critical for anything besides just fun shooting. I'm finding the JSBs enough better at 25-30 yards they may warrant using.
    Interestingly, I'm finding the CPHPs and JSBs look like they can use the same zero interchangeably out to 30 yards. Still need more testing to prove that but if so could keep a couple JSBs handy for longer critical shots.

Boolit Buddy
    Here's my Notos haven't gotten to shoot it much yet had a shoulder replacement, I did a lite trigger mod that helped will work on that more when I get healed up, accuracy was good for me to 25 yards farthest I've shot it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230312_153636.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	313699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230312_153708.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	313700

I've had time to do more testing since my last post. The JSBs and CPHPs do NOT share the same zero but they are close.
    The cheaper pellets are good enough out to 30 yards but groups open up with small unexplained flyers. My tin of JSBs
    is kind of old and been bouncing around in the range bag so has quite a few pellets with deformed skirts.
    I shot four 5 shot groups with randomly pulled from the tin CPHPs then just for fun picked out JSBs that had buggered
    skirts and shot four 5 shot groups with them all at 30 yards. The JSBs were all better groups. Guess they're soft enough
    the pressure straightens them out in the barrel. Still not convinced they're worth the extra $ over the Crosmans but thought
    I'd share

Moderator Emeritus

NOTOS headed my way!!! To celebrate my (22 March) birthday, I used MidwayUSA "Birthday Bucks" gift from them to order a NOTOS -- this on 13 March 2023. The price? $219.30 USD!, but the sad fact is their stock sold out, and I'd need wait for one...
    Well (drum roll here?)... I got an eMail from Midwayusa this morn that the NOTOS is in fact back in stock! I 'had' to ring them, and associate advised I spend one U S dollar more to upgrade shipping to UPS -- and (MidwayUSA advised it was shipped, even providing a tracking number) I am scheduled to receive it on Wednesday. Wowsers! Day after tomorrow!!! (An added 'thank you' to Don (Dverna) for his heads-up re really inexpensive .22 pellets on Amazon!) So... God willing -- I'll be having fun with it at camp on Thursday.
    Assuming others may have also been in want of a NOTOS -- I reckoned I'd post MidwayUSA having them back in stock!
    geo

Congrats, Been really enjoying mine. The cheap Crosman pellets at WallyWorld are the second best performers in it so far.

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats, Been really enjoying mine. The cheap Crosman pellets at WallyWorld are the second best performers in it so far.
    Being "Curious Geo" here -- what have you found to be the best performers in your Notos? (Bion, w/ my bad/bum leg, I have set up several fixed targets which are spinners and the like -- my favourite being the Action Armour Quadrant Target Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Action Armor Quadrant.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	314309 which I have about 11 meters from my bench -- e.g., close to 10-meter if I were standing. Hence, I do not require either an arm or pellets which might regularly hit a gnat in the butt at this range .)
    BUT, again, I am curious re your "top" pellets?
    [PS -- Airguns of Arizona is only vendor I'm aware of who sells Quadrant target -- "BEST!!!" I've ever had/used!]
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 05-23-2023 at 09:34 AM.

For that set up at 10 meters, I wouldn't look any further than the Crosmans. For mine, the JSB 14.35 grain are best so far and I
    can't see anything being able to top them. They cost about double the Crosman pellet and you need to stretch the range out beyond 25 yards
    and shoot from a very sturdy shooting position like a bench and sand bags to really appreciate just how much better they are. Out there my JSB groups are near half the size of the Crosman and mind the Crosman are pretty good. I find the Notos with its short lightweight compactness and less than ideal trigger a challenge to shoot really accurately ( by my standards ) without something solid to rest it on be it a door frame, fence post, or bags on a bench. I got mine mainly for back yard squirrel control and it has performed as well as I'd hoped
    it would maybe even better than I thought it could with pellets it likes from the bench. Oh yeah, and it's just fun to shoot

Moderator Emeritus

For that set up at 10 meters, I wouldn't look any further than the Crosmans. For mine, the JSB 14.35 grain are best so far and I
    can't see anything being able to top them. They cost about double the Crosman pellet and you need to stretch the range out beyond 25 yards
    and shoot from a very sturdy shooting position like a bench and sand bags to really appreciate just how much better they are. Out there my JSB groups are near half the size of the Crosman and mind the Crosman are pretty good. I find the Notos with its short lightweight compactness and less than ideal trigger a challenge to shoot really accurately ( by my standards ) without something solid to rest it on be it a door frame, fence post, or bags on a bench. I got mine mainly for back yard squirrel control and it has performed as well as I'd hoped
    it would maybe even better than I thought it could with pellets it likes from the bench. Oh yeah, and it's just fun to shoot
    Thanks -- I have better "luck" with JSB pellets in most of my air-X stuff -- primarily in Beeman/Weihrauch pistols! I should have added vis my 10-meter range, albeit I am sitting it is free-hand/off-hand shooting: no rests. I also have targets (actually pipes driven in ground on which to place targets) at 25 yards, 40 yards, and fifty yards. I use the latter primarily for air-rifle target shooting and yes -- often from a rest.
    BUT -- for a short-range "squirrel-getter" like the NOTOS -- which is scheduled for delivery to me, today -- I reckon I'll make its acquaintance -- off hand at 10-meters. I bought, from Umarex web-site -- their sight-set, and plan on first shooting with that. Too, I'll take a couple of 'scopes with me and perhaps try them as well... LOTS of fun (for me) getting to make friends with most any firearm -- including (I'm hoping!) this one!
    geo

Moderator Emeritus

It's a 3X12 Bug Buster, they come with rings!
    Dapaki -- From your suggested 'scope I ordered one last night. Sadly (???) Pyramid has three different listings for the "Bug Buster", and this is the one I have coming:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bug Buster.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	314351 I do like the AO feature! I hope/trust it will do all I want/"need" it for . Total ante came to $166.28 USD for the 'scope plus a $4.00 tube of Pell-gun Oil. (I needed add an item to increase purchase to >$150.00 to get free shipping ).
    Thinking on it this morn, with the Notos in the $250.00 range PLUS this (relatively inexpensive, as far as 'scopes go) $160.00 Bug Buster comes to $410.00. Add the optional plastic pistol grips and Umarex's sight-set raises costs still another sixty dollars.
    Wowsers! This air-carbine is NOT a "cheapie"! BUT -- I can't wait to get the 'scope and see what it (me???) will do!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    George, look at the cost to shoot. While most people plink with .22's costing over $.06 a shot or cast bullets that need a $.10 primer, plus another few pennies of power, you are plinking with $.02 pellets. And in my case, my air guns are more accurate than bargain .22's or cast loads out to 50 yards.

I used to do most of my plinking with .38's and 9mm when primers were less than $25/k. Now I shoot air guns. I do not miss picking up brass, cleaning brass, casting bullets, lubing bullets, or reloading. And I do not need to wear muffs!

Enjoy your new gun and let us know how it performs.

BTW, all my air guns were "free". I sold guns I was not using. Since getting such good results, I decided to sell more of my "plinking" guns that are too expensive or labor intensive to feed. That will not "work" for everyone, but it works for this old man.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    George, look at the cost to shoot. While most people plink with .22's costing over $.06 a shot or cast bullets that need a $.10 primer, plus another few pennies of power, you are plinking with $.02 pellets. And in my case, my air guns are more accurate than bargain .22's or cast loads out to 50 yards.

I used to do most of my plinking with .38's and 9mm when primers were less than $25/k. Now I shoot air guns. I do not miss picking up brass, cleaning brass, casting bullets, lubing bullets, or reloading. And I do not need to wear muffs!

Enjoy your new gun and let us know how it performs.

BTW, all my air guns were "free". I sold guns I was not using. Since getting such good results, I decided to sell more of my "plinking" guns that are too expensive or labor intensive to feed. That will not "work" for everyone, but it works for this old man.
    Sir (dverna) -- I sooo concur with you re just about all you wrote! Getting me "into" airguns were primarily my desire to shoot at camp where powder-powered arms are (technically) legal -- e.g., distance from dwellings, etc. -- but to be truthful when "neighbors" target shoot I, frankly, on occasion find it annoying -- specially when guests are present and the gunshots get them nervous -- so I do not wish to be the one to annoy other good neighbors; and, too, my knee/leg progressing from bad to worse which has really put a damper on, say, 75-yard target posting/retrieval.
    My first air arm was a Smith & Wesson CO2 pistol I bought for less than fifty U S dollars! When my boys were young, I got Crosman springer rifles at maybe ten dollars more. I was expressing the difference vis those, say, Crosman sixty dollar springers versus the ~$460.00 for this Notos! While I do not have any of the several-thousand dollar PCPs out there, I do have a few "expensive" (to my budget) ones, including springer pistols by Beeman and Weihrauch; PCP's by Alpha Proj and Benjamin.
    Thanks to YOU -- your notes re Amazon pellets pricing -- I bought, well, perhaps more than I will ever shoot (albeit I'll be trying ) -- so the money is already spent. My sister regularly reminds me that I am now, "three-quarters of a century old" -- so I do reluctantly need admit I may be past my prime...
    I viewed a couple of YouTubes on the Notos, and if mine will shoot as well as those -- I will, indeed, be ecstatic! For both YouTubes, pellets in the 15 to 18 grain range seemed to perform the best. A starting point for me .
    geo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast