MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Umarex Notos

Umarex Notos

Been looking for a PCP that serves my needs better than the Origin I already posted about.
    Criteria is :
    1) Substantially more compact
    2) Head shot on squirrel accurate to 30 yards
    3) No wandering POI
    4) Substantially less powerful than the Origin
    5) If it will shoot cheap pellets accurately that's a plus

The Notos seems to do all that. Only had it for the weekend so far but I'm impressed.
    It will need some trigger work but from what I've read and seen that should be simple.
    Even stock from the factory it meets all the criteria. Should be a perfect back yard pest
    eliminator.
    Ask me in a year or so if I'm still pleased with the purchase. That'll be the real test

Moderator Emeritus

chutesnreloads -- this airgun is a new offering to me; thank you for posting re it. I note Pyramid has it unavailable for about six weeks which has attenuated a bit my making an impulse purchase of one! Sooo much I LIKE: .22 calibre; 21 regulated shots per fill; the shrouds making it quiet; the stock arrangement in itself. They do not list its weight -- do you have a rough idea? Also -- do you have a 'scope on yours?
    Hey -- I'm almost a cripple and need another airgun like the proverbial hole-in-the-head. BUT you have me intrigued... Thanks for sharing!
    geoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Notos.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	311599

Why would you want less power?

Moderator Emeritus

I don't know to whom you directed your "want less power?" query -- but I'll provide "my" answer. To wit, the magic power number in the UK is "12" for any air arm, unless one has a special license/permit (the way I understand it) for an arm with higher power. This arm boasts "14" -- more than ample -- 'specially considering the tons of rabbit meat consumed in the UK harvested with <12 arms. For me, a 2nd reason is that generally power and sound level run on a parallel course: With more power comes in more noise. For back-yard critter abatement, lower noise is a gigantic plus! And 3rd, the lower the power, too, the lower the recoil. We'd have to check with OP, but my guess this is negligible -- if even a factor -- with this arm.
    Hey -- if one can be most happy with their, say, Ford Focus (as is my wife) -- why would one need a NASCAR car?
    One definition of life is compromises. Perhaps this arm is an array of them -- and, part of the equation ends in a lower than max power level. So be it... The more I think on it, I am planning on adding one to my stable.
    geo

Yes it is scoped with a UTG 3x9. I seen others with red dots. It comes with no sights but a substantial picatinny rail.
    Seen one mounted with AR style flip up iron sights. One thing I didn't mention is you may want to go with taller rings
    or it may be difficult to get your cheek low enough to see through the sight.
    I'm sure its weight is listed somewhere but I'd guess around 4 pounds. Really short and light.

Reason for less power? All George said and more. It is quiet but SEEMS a bit louder than my Origin, maybe
    because the muzzle is so much closer to my ears. Main reason is where I use it. Backyard squirrels.
    It doesn't take a lot of power to take a squirrel at 30 yards or less. The over powered PCPs over
    penetrate and it's impossible to predict where the pellet will go after leaving the squirrel. I've heard pellets hit
    the fence I know were moving fast enough to break a window. Less power means the pellet stays in the squirrel
    or if it exits, it is going slow enough not to damage anything. Too many windows in the neighborhood.
    Of course I'm very selective and have to be patient to make only shots that can't harm or even bother the neighbors.

I always make sure of my backstop, so over penetration of a squirrel isn't an issue, also sometimes I miss the squirrel, so making sure of what is behind it is an issue.
    Hey, I get it and understand.
    I have guns that hardly make it thru one side of a pop can, but they are still fun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I always make sure of my backstop, so over penetration of a squirrel isn't an issue, also sometimes I miss the squirrel, so making sure of what is behind it is an issue.
    Hey, I get it and understand.
    I have guns that hardly make it thru one side of a pop can, but they are still fun.
    Yep. You can shoot cans with a .357 Magnum, or even a 12ga. shotgun. Once or twice. But you can shoot them all day with .22 shorts or CB or BB caps. I've got a couple of .177 air rifles my brother gave me. Have used them to kill rats in the house and the back yard. I'd LIKE to have something about .50 cal in an air rifle, but so far, the .177's have been adequate for what I NEED!

Bill

Moderator Emeritus

Lucky me will (God willing) be adding one more candle to my (birthday) cake next week, and I received a "Birthday Pricing Special" from the good folks at Midway USA dot com... Soooo.... happy birthday to me: I ordered one. Birthday pricing? $219.30 USD. Now the bad news -- it is presently out of stock, but it is due in... tomorrow! (St. Patrick's Day/ 3/17) Thanks again, chutesnreloads -- God willing, I have another toy headed my way! (The fingers and toes are all crossed in hopes MidwayUSA will in fact get at least one in tomorrow...)
    geo

Hope you get it by your birthday.
    Looks cool, Sci-Fi blaster like.
    You will be able to ward off an alien invasion.

Do hope you enjoy it George.
    Got a chance to shoot mine at 50 yards yesterday...
    winds a little swirly, didn't expect much. shot a couple at 15 yards to confirm zero...
    last 5 out of the 7 shot mag at 50 yards. I know, one 5 shot group means nothing, BUT
    all 5 landed inside a one inch square with 4 I was able to completely cover with a nickle.
    This with the cheap Crosman pellets from WalMart
    Now I'm reading it will shoot slugs accurately. Don't have a need for that but hey...

Moderator Emeritus

chutesnreloads -- Sadly, MidwayUSA site indicates it is still on "backorder"; the anniversary of my birth is Wednesday (22nd) so maybe (I hope) I'll get lucky. In anticipation I did quite an extensive search to learn that no-one that I inquired to has 7-round magazines... So I'll need be patient -- assuming these will eventually appear.
    BUT -- I did find -- on the Umarex site -- the plastic grips ($9.99) to convert the carbine into a pistol; and, their fibre-optic site set ($9.99) -- and have these coming. (Umararex is out of stock vis magazines, too.)
    dverna -- Don -- posted the value of "el cheapo" pellets (he bought (as I did from his advice) from Amazon) and -- for recreational "can/rock shooting" at camp (w/ Benjamin Marauder .22 Pistol) they can't be beat!

Know how you feel.... When I decided to pull the trigger, Pyramid Air had just sold out so I just ordered off Amazon.
    Will be wanting a spare mag or two. The single shot tray that it comes with is pretty decent. Don't remember where
    but seems like I remember reading about some higher capacity mags available after market.

Boolit Master
    George, what's this about a Midway birthday discount? Mine is Thursday the 23rd.

Geo< Have a look at this one before you jump in.https://www.pyramydair.com/product/hatsan-jet-i?m=5737 There is also another one like it with 2 Air tanks on board.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Yes that Jet has generated quite a bit of interest lately too

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    George, what's this about a Midway birthday discount? Mine is Thursday the 23rd.
    Albert Rim -- one of the really super great perk's of being a MidwayUSA customer is their birthday discount. You might go to their sight and read about it.... Here's a paste of this year's eMail from them -- which saved me about sixty U S dollars on the Notos and one other item "I had to have"! Happy birthday to me!!!

"Dear GEORGE,

Your birthday is coming soon, and to help you celebrate, MidwayUSA is giving you access to special Birthday Pricing on thousands of products throughout our website. There are some restrictions on products available for Birthday pricing, such as items on sale or clearance, quantity limited products, and those whose prices are set by our Suppliers, but the good news is there are still thousands of products to choose from at a great discount - just for your birthday!
    Here's how it works:

To access your birthday pricing, you must sign-in to the same account to which we sent the Birthday announcement (xxxxxx@xxxx.xxx). Once you're signed in, Birthday pricing will be automatically applied, and you will see a banner wishing you Happy Birthday.

Your birthday pricing is available on one order only and is good starting 7 days prior to your birthday and 7 days after your birthday."

Boolit Master
    Well I'll be darned. I have been a loyal customer with them for years, spent thousands. I wonder if their email went to my spam folder ...

Boolit Master
    By the way, I happened to see this review of the Notos in Outdoor Life.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/gear/umarex-notos-review/

I picked up a Notos last month and promptly chopped off the fake bag rider for greater comfort on my wrist. I have also been working with a couple good men that designed and printed several moderator inserts for me.

Does it NEED a different insert? No, it sounds fine BUT if I can drop the dB by 6, I can hit Starlings and HOSP's without the whole flock leaving the area.

I did have to remove the barrel and really scrub the barrel, it was filthy! I ran JB Bore Paste then metal polish, heated the bore and waxed it to help with leading. Shoots nicely at 30y, I will not go further with it, too much chance of a wounded bird not a DRT.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230318_140222.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	312487
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Notos Baffle.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	312488

Boolit Grand Master
    Air gun barrels are relatively "soft". I would be leery of doing what Dapaki did. He right about barrels being filthy. I had terrible accuracy until I cleaned them. I was lucky with my PCP's and was able to clean the barrels using Ballistol.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast