Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CVA Scout 300 Blackout as a Rook Rifle ?

Quote Originally Posted by vonfilm View Post
    I ordered a Scout V2 Takedown in 300 Blackout from my local gun shop at a better price than is currently being offered on Gunbroker. No ETA, but they said they will fill the order when their CVA distributor receives another batch.

Now I need to get some brass and reloading dies. I see that Boyd’s Gunstocks offers walnut replacement stocks and forends if I want a more traditional look.
    Wow, never knew about Boyd's making stocks. Hope ya get your rifle soon .
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

I got the Boyd's thumbhole stock for mine and left the stock foreend. Increases the weight a tad. Also got a different (steel) rail for scope as it comes with a weaver style so mounts with a lug won't work.
    Whatever!

Boolit Man
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3310.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	316364

Today I finally received my Scout 300 Blackout. I had almost given up on it. My first thought is to install a B&L Elite 3200 2.5-10 scope that I have on hand. Then get some factory loads and see how well it shoots. I thought they were supposed to come with a little case to hold the taken down carbine, but alas not. The trigger seems very nice out of the box.
    I look forward to getting some reloading dies and see how well it does with 32-20 power loads with 90-115 grain boolits. I think I have a box of Speer 100 grain j word plinkers to try.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looking forward to your range report.

If you can, would you measure the trigger pull? Thanks.
    Don Verna

The rail is weaver, not pictinny. Nope, just cardboard box. Mine shoots very well. Was at the LGS, nope, no 110 vmax or any decent bullets in stock. I typically run 145gr cast @ ~1700 fps in mine.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Great to see folks are so happy with these. I was tickled when I saw they were available, they seemed to be the perfect all purpose do anything rifle for the discerning tinkerer who values their hearing.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

I don’t understand the reasoning for this one. For nearly $400 an decent upper receiver for the ar15 can be bought/built and MUCH more versatile. Plus it’s much scarier.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron369 View Post
    I don’t understand the reasoning for this one. For nearly $400 an decent upper receiver for the ar15 can be bought/built and MUCH more versatile. Plus it’s much scarier.
    I think this is one of those things where the folks who want one of these actively don't want some qualities of an AR. The strengths of this type of gun lie in a different direction.
    Folks like this kind of gun for its simplicity, reliability, flexibility, and the aesthetic experience.
    This gun doesn't make any noise or move after the shot.
    This gun doesn't care if you violate cartridge overall length limits.
    This gun doesn't care about bullet profile or feeding.
    This gun doesn't spit out brass or require a catcher.
    This gun doesn't stop working right if you change the power of a load.
    It's easy to see the condition of the chamber
    This gun suppresses extremely well without having to worry about gas settings.
    This gun is shorter for a given barrel length.
    ... I could go on, but I think you probably get the point. If you're only going to have one gun for every job or if you're kicking doors, well yeah, the AR is probably a better choice. If you're lucky enough to have other guns to cover defense applications, though, there is a lot to be said for something simple like this. I have a Henry rifle that is really similar, and I would rather spend an afternoon with it than any semi-auto centerfire rifle I have ever used.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Man
    Daekar, I think you pretty well covered the reasons for a single shot. I have always loved single shot air rifles and I don’t think I’ve ever taken a second shot on wild game. My plan is to use this for a wide variety of loadings, especially reduced loads that wouldn’t cycle an AR action.

Today I drove to my closest public range, only to find it padlocked and permanently closed. I had purchased a prewar H&R folding .410 shotgun there a couple of months ago. I think it has been there for over 50 years. New owners have been operating it for awhile.

I am thinking about a 300 BO AR in the future. I keep thinking about a Fostech Magnesium receiver combo with a Faxon pencil barrel, carbon fiber stock and hand guard, lightweight bolt carrier group, adjustable gas system, and titanium small bits. Some are getting under 4 pounds with sights.

Single shots are great rifles. I have a scout in 44 mag. It shoots good, trigger is nice and it fits my shoulder a lot better than my H&R single shot I use it a lot for a test rifle. Shot one deer with it. A 44 mag is still big enough to kill a deer. I have a Ruger American in 300 Black Out and it has a 1/7 twist it is a tack driver with 14 gr 2400 with a Lee 170 gr FN GC. Even with the fast twist it shoots cast boolits really good which surprised me.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master

I do really like to shoot my Handy rifle. It is a 30/30 and I have loaded it with cast and have a red dot on it and it just works. It is the first rifle I ever loaded cast for back when there was only the lyman manual for information and I didn't even have a computer. It was " I wonder if this will even work ? " every time. I had a single cavity 160 gr mold that was about $15 new and was in a brave new world using it. Those were the days. AR rifles are a lot more fussing around, oddly I have only one Handy, and multiple AR platform guns. I got the first one back when Obama was going to ban them. It was kind of a knee jerk reaction.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Put an IR scope on my AR BO for night hogs. CVA is fun for testing loads, don't burn nearly as much ammo (primers are expensive now). Can't walk far so is a good rifle on the ATV at the ranch. Got a fixed 4x scope on it.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I'm just putting my own rook/stalking NEF .30-30 rifle together. I got it two weeks ago from a fellow shooter who bought the rifle with its pre-Marlin standard rifling to use it as a cast boolit gun. He never put a round through it and decided to pass it on for what he had in it. I just put a Skinner aperture sight on it and I'm going to see what I can get it to shoot well before this fall's deer and hog hunting. Unfortunately, my closest range is 90 minutes away in good traffic. GF

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    I think this is one of those things where the folks who want one of these actively don't want some qualities of an AR. The strengths of this type of gun lie in a different direction.
    Folks like this kind of gun for its simplicity, reliability, flexibility, and the aesthetic experience.
    This gun doesn't make any noise or move after the shot.
    This gun doesn't care if you violate cartridge overall length limits.
    This gun doesn't care about bullet profile or feeding.
    This gun doesn't spit out brass or require a catcher.
    This gun doesn't stop working right if you change the power of a load.
    It's easy to see the condition of the chamber
    This gun suppresses extremely well without having to worry about gas settings.
    This gun is shorter for a given barrel length.
    ... I could go on, but I think you probably get the point. If you're only going to have one gun for every job or if you're kicking doors, well yeah, the AR is probably a better choice. If you're lucky enough to have other guns to cover defense applications, though, there is a lot to be said for something simple like this. I have a Henry rifle that is really similar, and I would rather spend an afternoon with it than any semi-auto centerfire rifle I have ever used.
    Well said! +1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12