Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need ideas for new 9mm powder

Boolit Master
    Red Dot is my go-to powder for anything 9mm. It’s a fluffy powder that fills cases nicely. But it can also hit max pressure quick. So carefully work up loads. But generally speaking, I’ve had fantastic luck in the 4.0-4.2gr range with 125gr cast loads. No idea where this sit speed wise, as I don’t own a Chrony. But they function the guns I run them in well, and accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

135gr PB @ 357 PCd with WST in a couple sub compact. ~900 fps.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Power Pistol as already mentioned. Also used AA #5, W-231, and Solhouette. Silhouette works very well in 9mm.
    Willie

Boolit Master
    I have been using Sport Pistol for over a year and have been testing W-244 with good results using a 140gr FP cast Hi-Tek coated bullet in 9 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Red Dot is my go-to powder for anything 9mm. It’s a fluffy powder that fills cases nicely. But it can also hit max pressure quick. So carefully work up loads. But generally speaking, I’ve had fantastic luck in the 4.0-4.2gr range with 125gr cast loads. No idea where this sit speed wise, as I don’t own a Chrony. But they function the guns I run them in well, and accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have had the same experience with Red Dot, although I am still working out of my eight pound jug of Promo, which is equivalent to Red Dot.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

I have had excellent results with my home cast ( BHN 10.5 ) 127 gr ( Lee 124gr ) with my alloy. A loading manual load of 6.4grs. Excellent results all around.

Add W244 to this list. Starting loads all worked well in my Taurus G3C.

Boolit Master
    I’ll throw in an exotic here: Vihtavuori N320

Pricey, but works great in the action pistol games. Meters very well, burns clean, and very consistent velocity wise (important as the rules specify a minimum velocity for a given bullet weight to get maximum scoring values).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I’ll throw in an exotic here: Vihtavuori N320...
    Not so exotic, Kevin...I'm using VV N350 with an NOE 124 gr RNFP and my SIG loves it. Last year I snagged an unopened 4 lb. jug for $70 (+ auction commission) thinking '.357 Mag' as I was getting close to my last lb. of A2400. Checking VV data, noticed loads for 9mm and gave it a try when I ran out of HP38. May never go back.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    I have had the same experience with Red Dot, although I am still working out of my eight pound jug of Promo, which is equivalent to Red Dot.

Wayne
    Wayne, I was hesitant when I first picked up a keg of it. But I have found it to be one of my best powders for 9mm, 380acp, and even 45acp. Cleaner than Unique, and fills the case nicely. However, I will say that it often makes me nervous sometimes. I find that 4.2gr actually gets "tamped down" a bit by seating a 115gr FMJ to book OAL - which is necessary in my AR9 (but not required in my pistols). No negative affects on pressures from what I can tell. But it is a FLUFFY powder. A pound goes a long ways though at 4.0gr. I'm currently about 1/3 the way through a 4lb jug, and I'm hoping prices come back down a little before I have to buy another. Might have to switch over to Unique for a little while once I'm out if not...
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Very early testing with Br5 is showing promise.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Wayne, I was hesitant when I first picked up a keg of it. But I have found it to be one of my best powders for 9mm, 380acp, and even 45acp. Cleaner than Unique, and fills the case nicely. However, I will say that it often makes me nervous sometimes. I find that 4.2gr actually gets "tamped down" a bit by seating a 115gr FMJ to book OAL - which is necessary in my AR9 (but not required in my pistols). No negative affects on pressures from what I can tell. But it is a FLUFFY powder. A pound goes a long ways though at 4.0gr. I'm currently about 1/3 the way through a 4lb jug, and I'm hoping prices come back down a little before I have to buy another. Might have to switch over to Unique for a little while once I'm out if not...
    Red Dot/Promo is the one powder I can't do without. Unique is great given enough pressure. Low pressure loads of Unique truly earn it the title "flaming dirt."

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I shoot a lot of 9, mostly glocks, but a few others. For 9minor, i like wst or reddot or ramshot comp, or sport pistol. For full power 9, Unique, wsf, cfe & powerpistol are fine.
    I use range scrap, coated, sized 0.357”, running 850-1100fps. I dont get leading & accuracy is better than i can hold.
    Fred, are you using the factory Glock barrels or aftermarket barrels? I know they say to not use a factory barrel with cast.

Red Dot/Promo
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    Fred, are you using the factory Glock barrels or aftermarket barrels? I know they say to not use a factory barrel with cast.
    I’ve shot cast in my factory Glock barrels for years, numbering rounds into six figures. Of course, they were all Hitek coated, either commercial or home cast and coated. I’ve never seen much in the way of leading once I got the coating technique down. I still void my warranty, but I haven’t appreciated any pressure issues.

Boolit Buddy
    sorry took a minute to get back, working a lot, but i do have some reddot that i use for shotgun, never thought about using it for softer 9mm bullets, well i got a project for tomorrow. thanks for the suggestion

Boolit Master
    Glock mandrel forged barrels are amazing with cast bullets, when you sort out your loads. They will stay spotlessly clean in a way that no button cut barrel can, because there are no machine marks in there. Completely smooth. I suppose this would hold true for any mandrel forged barrel; I think HK does this on some of their handguns? I used to think if you got things wrong, a Glock barrel would foul worse than standard barrels, simply because people said so, and that's the first gun I loaded and sorted through mistakes for. But it turns out I have the ability to foul any barrel just as bad!

While you are still going through the learning curve, a Glock barrel is easy to clean. The tennifer coating will dull carbide reamers with just a few uses, it's so hard. It'll destroy high speed steel cutters. You can clean the barrel with steel wool, if you like.

Seems like a lot of people are suggesting powders that are faster than what OP was curious about, or which are unobtanium right now. Or both. I think the "winner" so far for "slowest" was from the first reply. Power Pistol and Winchester AutoComp. I would have never thought to try WAC for cast pistol. It's also available.
    Last edited by gloob; 03-18-2023 at 03:51 PM.

Boolit Master

All my 9 loadin' is Red Dot, If I have less than 10-12lbs on hand I start to get nervous. It always seems to be out there when I'm looking.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

for decades Red Dot - many bullet types + weights - also in many ca;libers, pistol, rifle, + shotgun -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Alliant BE-86, or Herco, if you can find them. AA#5 is another, possibly more obtainable propellant that is well suited to 9mmP. These three are "okay" at the milder end of the performance scale, but generally give outstanding performance, as they are pushed harder.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast