Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need ideas for new 9mm powder

Boolit Buddy

need ideas for new 9mm powder

i am about to buy a 4 lb jug of pistol powder since we finally have some selection, I current cast ww and use 231 and noe 135grain mold and hitek, but i have a lot of range scrap and don't want to use up all my ww. I was wondering what slower powders have people had luck with to keep the pressure down. When i have used 231 in the past with softer lead i had issues of bullets tumbling and leading when i load fast enough to reliably cycle all my handguns.

Power Pistol is THE best for cast and for jacketed that I have ever used. It does not make problems at min powder charge. At full loadings it's a flame thrower.

Winchester AutoComp is what I am using right now for 124 grain powder coated plain base hollow points.

Boolit Master
    The 9mm was my biggest challenge for finding boolit happiness. Some people get lucky and find 9mm success easily. Many do not. I was in the latter group. Even though I used PC, my first attempts leaded badly.

I was determined to use straight range scrap (less than 9 bhn), and I wanted to push full power loads. I tried some slower powders in the middle of my efforts and really did not see very much improvement.

After probably more than a dozen attempts, I found success with the following:

• I use a custom deep plug 0.3575" expander
    • I use 0.3595" PC coated boolits (Lee 120 TC)
    • I use select brass, a mix of Blazer, FC and CCI
    • I seat and I do flare removal as separate steps

I can now use any powder I want and loads up to book max with great accuracy and no leading. This load works in a handful of different guns.

I have come to believe that much of the 9mm "just can't figure it out frustration" comes from having boolits sized down by the case more than you think and/or just not going with big enough boolits. I am also convinced that sorting headstamps is an easy thing to try early on when you are having problems.

Boolit Grand Master
    In the current powder availability situation, whatever you can find.
    The ones listed on this thread all work fine for me. Unique and AA#5 worked well for me also.
    Finding primers and powder is a challenge.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    My 9mm cast loading is similar to P Flados' approach. My 9mm has a .358 groove diameter. I load a Lee 358-125-RF cast of wheelweight metal unsized lubed with Lee LLA. I use a 38spl. M-die to seat the larger diameter bullets and taper crimp. I have only used 231 with the cast bullets to get velocity in the upper 900 fps with acceptable level of leading. I have tried AA5 with jacketed bullets and I don't think it's as accurate as 231 in my gun based on comparison loads with cast and jacketed. I too have found that Blazer and Federal brass seems thinner and makes seating the larger bullets easier with less likelihood of squeezing down bullets.

Boolit Master

I use AA #7!

Hs-6. :-p

Banned

bullseye

Boolit Master
    Win WSF
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

I have the NOE 135gr RF mold and bought a jug of True Blue to try last spring and really like it.

It meters great and runs pretty clean in my two 9mms and my buddies.

Boolit Master

Using Bullseye for the NOE 135RF in wheelweight. Off the top of my head somewhere between 3.5-3.9 grains for 1030 fps.

Haven't played with Unique and HS-6 in anything as small as 9mm, but found them a little dirty (incomplete burn) in .45. Faster burn is what these duty rounds seem to like.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I've been using CFE Pistol in my .45 acp,38 Special and .357 with cast. Does a good job and very available

I shoot a lot of 9, mostly glocks, but a few others. For 9minor, i like wst or reddot or ramshot comp, or sport pistol. For full power 9, Unique, wsf, cfe & powerpistol are fine.
    I use range scrap, coated, sized 0.357”, running 850-1100fps. I dont get leading & accuracy is better than i can hold.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Moderator Emeritus

AA2, Ramshot Silhuette are both good.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I use the NOE 135gr with 231. I PC and have never had leading issues with that combo.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    Red Dot or Promo. Sips the powder.

Boolit Master
    True Blue and Silhouette both work well for me. Silhouette has great case fill, but True Blue might be needed if your OAL is short.

Currently using Power Pistol. In the past I have used Bullseye, Win-231 and it's twin HP-38, Win-630 and Unique.

Boolit Buddy
    For a couple of different MP NLG molds that drop 135/140 for me, I have had best results with AA#5 and Power Pistol.

I'm A Honcho!
    I use bullseye with 124 or 135 grain bullets.
    Adjusting loads as neede to stay “middle” of the road.
    Great accuracy easy metering and a pound lasts a long time!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast