RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Need 28-30 reloading data

Need 28-30 reloading data

Hi new to the forum. I recently got a Stevens mod 45 (44 1-2 action) and am looking for load data to feed my new baby. I already use 4227 in my 25-20 so data using that powder would be great but any suggestions of other powders is certainly welcome. I have a wide range of 7mm molds so data of any bullet weight is fine. What works for you? Thanks appreciate any help.

Boolit Buddy
    I can't help with the load data, but I also have 3-digit 44 1/2 in 28-30 that I'd like to shoot and can't find brass or ammo anywhere. What's our source for brass/ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
    I can't help with the load data, but I also have 3-digit 44 1/2 in 28-30 that I'd like to shoot and can't find brass or ammo anywhere. What's our source for brass/ammo?
    Machined-from-solid Rocky Mountain Cartridge is the only source, unless you get extremely lucky and find some in an auction. And either way it will be spendy. There is a European cartridge for drillings, 6mmx72 if I remember right, that can be reformed. There isn't any for sale in the USA as far as I know.

Dies are also a problem. CH4D used to list them, about a year ago a friend bought a set, but now they are on indefinite backorder.

I have made a seater, expander, and muzzle resizer, and can provide drawings. I didn't even try to make a full-length sizer. The lathe parts fit inside a Lee "universal expander" (which it isn't) die body.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee 2830 toolkit.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	311540

A thing to beware of is that the Stevens OEM chamber is very tight. Bullets have to be sized accordingly.

I can only give you a Quickload charge for 4227. 11-12 grains with the standard 120 grain bullet should yield about 1450 fps.

My Ballard with the Stevens barrel has been fired, but I'm too hobbled with arthuritis to have done anything but test it for functionality. Maybe once it warms up a bit, (I'm watching snowflakes through the window behind my computer at this very moment), I'll manage to get it to the range. The 44-1/2 is still waiting for me to fit an extractor, which it turns out the notch in the barrel has to be milled deeper. Always something.
    Last edited by uscra112; 03-12-2023 at 11:47 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

I lucked out and the guy I bought the rifle from has brass and dies. Not cheap but less than the $6+ per round Rocky Mountain is getting.

I should say “had” brass and dies. They are mine all mine now. Lol

Thank for the help on the load place to start. Guess that why we have winter to try and get shop work done. If it was nice all the time nothing would get built cause we would be too busy shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks both of you. I figured I was SOL, but you never know unless you ask.

Boolit Bub
    @ Rockingj, I sent you a PM.

My 28-30

Got a few steps to go to be ready to load ammo for her but can’t hardly wait.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E6D3510D-2D1B-4008-B54A-8688638E5F95.jpg