Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spire point boolits for BPCR

Spire point boolits for BPCR

Just got a loan of two "spire pointed" boolit moulds to try in my 45/70 and 45/90 Pedersoli Sharps. One (middle) is a Pedersoli 500gn and the other (sec from right) a Lyman spire point with tapered driving bands. The Lyman design only seats the last two driving bands into the case and the remaining driving bands snug into the throat.

Still have a lot of testing to do but has anyone had any success with spire point BPCR bootits?

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Woah cool looking bullets my favorite is the pointy one in the middle!

I've never done black powder rifles that pointy bullet looks like a scaled up 300 black out bullet.

Wonder if it's also got applications for the socom rifle?

Generally speaking long pointy bullets require a LOT more spin to stabilize than rounder points like the Elliptical or even the Money points.
    Let us know how they work for you.

Dave
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Boolit Grand Master

I've never had much success with Schmittzer style bullet for BPCR. Postell and Money seem to be in the winner's circle more often.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    Just got a loan of two "spire pointed" boolit moulds to try in my 45/70 and 45/90 Pedersoli Sharps. One (middle) is a Pedersoli 500gn and the other (sec from right) a Lyman spire point with tapered driving bands. The Lyman design only seats the last two driving bands into the case and the remaining driving bands snug into the throat.

Still have a lot of testing to do but has anyone had any success with spire point BPCR bootits?

the Pedersoli one looks very close to the LEE 5003R -- which is "iffy" I have shot it good in calm conditions only to come unstuck properly in a bit of a breeze - so i would say play with that one in poor conditions (windy - and make sure you try a headwind as well as crosswind ) if it will stay stable to 500 you are onto something
    the Lyman looks a bit more conventional as far as weight distribution goes
    this will be interesting - keep us posted please.

Boolit Buddy
    I recall reading at one point that at black powder velocities the spizer did not provide meaningful benefit over a round nose

I have loaded some for the 45/70 as shown on RHS. Believe it or not, With the boolit so seated, the case will hold 77gns of 2F Swiss after compression. There is also a similar design for my 40/65 (LHS)

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
    I recall reading at one point that at black powder velocities the spizer did not provide meaningful benefit over a round nose
    I think different
    when I tried the LEE 3R 500 I had been shooting the 457 x 450F - ---at 600yards
    first thing to do was offload about 100yards worth of sight setting - the change in BC from .250 to .443 made a heck of a difference to the way they carried .
    The original 3R design seemed to work ok but they changed it to a little more pointy - also couldnt load it into the rifling like Wallace is gonna do .
    this will be interesting!

Do you powder coat the bullets?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    Do you powder coat the bullets?
    Me?? NO!

B A Wallace dont look like it ?

G G boolits n blackpowder works good ---lipstick n blackpowder not so good

Have you ever tried it?

I only ask cause from my situation with heavy quantities of heavy powder charges in 357 mag in revolvers and rifle it works really really well. I think the powder coat is like a hard plastic jacketed skin and scrapes out the carbon and leading trash while still being significantly softer and gentler than my cleaning rod.

If you squint a little 45-70 looks like the bigger stronger meaner tougher faster brother to 38SPECIAL.

Boolit Master
    The pointy ones remind me of the Brooks Turkey Killer bullet which was quite popular at one time. I've never used it but have heard that it works very well.

Chris

BA I have a Steve Brooks mould for the 16 twist 2.5 (.40-70) of that profile and it does quite well at midrange and I used it at the gong shoots out to the 1000 yard irons. but at Alliance Nebraska where the winds will play with you it will drop from 100% on the 500 yard line to 25% plus minus at the 800 Buff when the 1/2 factor winds pick up. And that Buff is large. Or was it the Bear?? for got been a while since I been there.
    Duplexing the load improved the hits at 1000 but I switched to the Creedmoor nose like your #1 bullet past 500 to get reliable hits. I don't like duplexing.

I will also say, I on purpose loaded some with runout to see what they do at 200 yards and they went wild as I used softer alloys. The hard alloys were more forgiving.
    All in all I think it would be OK for midrange.
    But again I cant say because I did not spend much time with it.

Boolit Master

I fooled with a bit some years ago, Lyman bullet. I could not get it to seat concentrically. Never ordered a made to order seating punch for it. They did not seat concentric, like 10 thou out was common. Also rifle was not modified so I gave up powder space. I did shoot many and was not impressed by what I shot. With a soft alloy I feel that long nose slumped over during acceleration.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    Have you ever tried it?

I only ask cause from my situation with heavy quantities of heavy powder charges in 357 mag in revolvers and rifle it works really really well. I think the powder coat is like a hard plastic jacketed skin and scrapes out the carbon and leading trash while still being significantly softer and gentler than my cleaning rod.

If you squint a little 45-70 looks like the bigger stronger meaner tougher faster brother to 38SPECIAL.
    Thats a serious squint you got there !

nope havent tried it -- GG boolit with decent grooves - blackpowder lube - boolit a tad over size to bore = all good - aint broke dont fix it.

where this might be useful is a skinny boolit/blackpowder + lipstick + grease lube. might answer a problem perhaps?

Hey Joe check your messages

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post

With a soft alloy I feel that long nose slumped over during acceleration.
    heard that said about the LEE 3R too --but the fact that they shoot ok in calm but go crazy in the wind and will do really good groups at 100 or 200yards ---doesnt that point more to inherent instability rather than slumping/deformation?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post

I shoot the Lee 500gr 3r, in pure lead, with 42 grs of Blackhorn 209, mag primers, at 1200 FPS, there abouts, with the lube I make, in windy conditions, in my 45/70, roller, with a 30" barrel and find them to be accurate out to 1000 yds.

I remember reading on another forum that on the sharp spire points the lead needs to be of a certain hardness. If it isn't the points can suffer deformation upon firing and play heck with accuracy.

FWIW

-Ron
    Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast