Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Old Olin Winchester 1450LS powder

Boolit Mold

Old Olin Winchester 1450LS powder

Hi all im new to this forum and would like to put this out there in the hope that someone may be able to help me with my quest to find some data on a powder that i picked up from a very old gentleman that loaded shotgun loads many years ago.

The powder i purchased from him is a winchester powder 1450LS i contacted hodgkins to try and source info on it and all they had was one load data on a shotgun load, and that it came from the Olin plant and that the plant had shut down in 1969, no other data that they have on there system.

I have been speaking with another gentleman 85 years old that has been in reloading for many years that has informed me that as it is a faster burning powder i can use it in my 38 special pistol rounds and 357 magnum.

I further was told without seeing any data that it is supposed to be the superseeeded powder of what once was available called 452AA powder.

I understand this is a real stretch but i am hoping that maybe someone may have an old reloading book that they may be willing to share any data that they have.

Thankyou so much and i hope someone may have some help for me.

Best regards Nathan

Boolit Mold
    here is the image saved on another forum ive asked about info from.
    Cheers all
    https://www.shotgunworld.com/cdn-cgi...420-jpg.75624/

Boolit Master

I'd lay some pretty good odds that can is re purposed. I find it difficult to believe that Winchester/Olin would slap on an adhoc sort of label and ship it out. Not familiar with the identifying number either, maybe the system is different down under. You might check with Ed Harris at the CBA forum, he always struck me as pretty fluent in old powders.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...sl/print_topic

Found a couple here.

If I remember, I'll look in my Lyman #2 shotgun manual tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    Boy what an odd thing for them to do. Anyway PM me if you can't find any information on the powder. I have a busy weekend started today running into Sunday. I have old manuals and collect old paperwork on reloading and the like, this will distract My already mixed up messed up mind of other problems etc.

Few ? I it a ball powder? If it is not, what shape would you say it is? What color is it? I know you like it's gray ... no not all powder is the same gray, some the (I call them rods) are different sizes and color, like IMR 4064 is known to have just a little lighter color then normal. All helps to do a few things, confirm and makes sure it is still usable. All this said not every patch of powder is 100% the same they maybe .9999 but not the true 100%.

So remember to be careful go slow, double check and recheck everything, read any and all data and check for pressure signs if you do use it. If you don't know how to use it or think it not safe get something that is.

Best of luck!!