Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning and fluxing alloy

Boolit Buddy

Cleaning and fluxing alloy

I have had this same problem on and off for a long time. I just cant get the trash out of the lead. I have used Missouri bullet alloy, Rotometals 92/6/2 and 20 to 1. Beeswax, Marvelux, letting it sit, fluxing over and over even tried not fluxing. After all this there is still trash in my bullets. Occasionally the bullets come clean but not often. I have posted of this problem before and have never found a solution. Also cleaned and replaced pots. Nothing works. There surely must be a reason . Any suggestions from any of you?

Empty out and deep clean your casting pot with penetrating oil and a wire wheel rotary tool.

Use a molten lead thermometer to maintain a consistent temperature.

I ladle cast out of a stainless steel quart sauce pan over a turkey fryer. When I want to check the molten metal temperature I do it with an roto metals thermometer.

How is your casting equipment set up, set up?

Super Moderator

I also agree that your pot probably needs to be thoroughly cleaned. I personally wouldn't use a wire wheel rotary tool, but if you do, you might want to wear some sort of breathing protection. You don't want to be breathing that dust! I just use a regular wire brush and gently scrub it clean. With clean alloy to start with, there is no reason that your boolits to have "trash" in them. Beeswax is all I use a "flux" in my pots, sometimes stirring it with a wooden paint stirring stick. I find that it helps to empty and clean the pot out after several casting sessions so you don't get any kind of build up. Usually it's just carbon.

The penetrating oil is to prevent dust. It also makes cleaning faster and easier. Spray the oil into the pot and scrub it out however you want, make a wet slurry that can be wiped up with a rag or paper towel and disposed. I agree don't breathe any dust.

Boolit Buddy
    I have done all these things and more. I bought new pots, cleaned old pots. I use a P.I.D. Any alloy any pot same problem. I am close to quitting. I called rotometals they wont talk flux or cleaning. 3 different alloys. 5 pots. 2 types of flux. Accurate molds, Lyman molds, Lee molds, mp molds. I am at a loss. I truly dont get it. There was one day I stirred before every pour and it fixed it but that no longer had an effect.

Can you photograph the defective bullets and post the picture here so that we can see for ourselves and help you with a productive solution?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    Can you photograph the defective bullets and post the picture here so that we can see for ourselves and help you with a productive solution?
    Yes I am going to try.Well that did not work. It always says up load failed
    Last edited by flatnose; 03-11-2023 at 06:59 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0292.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	311516

Here they are. Any ideas?
    Usually on just one side but not always.
    The longer the nose the more I have this.

That's looks like something oxidized to the inside of the mold.

I would expect to see tinning in the mold cavities and vent lines. If that's the case the solution is simply heat and two cycle oil on cotton swab to wipe it out.

Can you make a picture of the inside of the mold?

Also it looks like the mold is cold.

Boolit Buddy
    All molds! All temps!!!
    I have brass, aluminum, iron. I use a pid
    Sometimes it is just swirls and not dirt as pictured. I have been fighting this for over a year.

Boolit Buddy
    I flux with red carnauba bullet lube, lee alox or any thumbnail size piece of lube, light the fumes and stir with a wooden dowel rod. I scrape/rub the bottom and sides really well while stirring with the dowel.
    Its how I was taught and has always seemed to work well.

Also a handful of lubed reject/store bought/unuseable boolits work good too.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Have you tried warming the mold in a hot plate?

I warm my mold by poking it into the fiery inferno of the turkey fryer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flatnose View Post
    All molds! All temps!!!
    I have brass, aluminum, iron. I use a pid
    Sometimes it is just swirls and not dirt as pictured. I have been fighting this for over a year.
    I’ve been getting the same thing happening last while. Cleaned my pots, molds and run a PID as well at different temps.
    Seems to have shown up with the last batch of wheel weight ingots I bought. I remelted them all in cast iron pot and got a lot of crap out. There still is some oatmeal looking texture stuff but I haven’t tried casting any bullets yet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    I’ve been getting the same thing happening last while. Cleaned my pots, molds and run a PID as well at different temps.
    Seems to have shown up with the last batch of wheel weight ingots I bought. I remelted them all in cast iron pot and got a lot of crap out. There still is some oatmeal looking texture stuff but I haven’t tried casting any bullets yet.
    I know the oatmeal texture stuff you are talking about. I have this exact thing in all the different alloy I have purchased. I am starting to believe this is the problem (maybe). I can bring it to the surface anytime by stirring and more so after it sits.

But... I am buying 92/6/2 from rotometals and missouri bullets. The rotometal alloy has obviously more tin as you can see it on the top but has the exact same problem. I also bought 20-1 from Rotometal with the exct same problem.

I dont ever remember this from LONG ago with wheel weights or maybe I just did not care.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelgun View Post
    I flux with red carnauba bullet lube, lee alox or any thumbnail size piece of lube, light the fumes and stir with a wooden dowel rod. I scrape/rub the bottom and sides really well while stirring with the dowel.
    Its how I was taught and has always seemed to work well.

Also a handful of lubed reject/store bought/unuseable boolits work good too.
    Thank you for the reply. I have fluxed your way and every way that has ever been suggested to me. Marvelux leaves it shiny and looking clean but the problem persists.

What temperature are you casting the pot at

Boolit Buddy
    yes of course

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    What temperature are you casting the pot at
    720 to 900 tried it all. Sometimes colder is better but not always.
    I have covered most of the basics but it persists

Boolit Buddy
    The only thing that seems to make a difference is short fat bullets. They work better most of the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast