Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: 7.65 Argentine Barrel for .32 S&W Long ?

Boolit Man

7.65 Argentine Barrel for .32 S&W Long ?

I have 2 7.65 barrels for 1909 Argentine Cavalry Carbines. With the threading, they are a little over 22” long and still have the sights and fittings on them. One of them I believe to be NOS with a bright shiny bore, the other a take off that has a dark bore.

I was wondering if these would be suitable to shorten, machine down and use for a .32 S&W Long barrel for a Yildiz or H&R single shot shotgun?

Does anyone know the rate of twist and if it is suitable for the .32 S&W Long?

I have a Henry BBS .327 Fed Mag 16” Carbine that works well with both factory and hand loads of 32 S&W Long. I do want an ultralight single shot carbine in .32 S&W Long like everyone here writes about. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I don’t know what the rifling twist is on those barrels are but it should be OK for the lighter 32 S&W bullets. I have built several stub and liner barrels in 32 S&W long on break action shotguns and used 30 cal. ( .308 ) barrels and they shoot fine.
    I actually built a shortened rimmed 300 blk out on a 410 Yildiz with a .308 barrel turned into a liner.
    It shoots well but I didnt bush the firing pin so I have to keep loads closer to 32 S&W pressures.
    What you are planning should work fine.

Jedman

Boolit Man
    Can you explain the term, stub?

Boolit Master
    Stub means using the threaded tenon of the original barrel,and grafting it to the new barrel.....Incidentally,when you could buy a new 303 SMLE barrel for $20 ,I used a few of them to rebarrel 32/20 Model 92s.............the fast twist isnt ideal,and fouls quickly with blackpowder,but otherwise is OK.

Boolit Grand Master

The 7.65 Argentine and 303 Brit barrel will have 10" twists in them. While a bit fast for the 32 S&WL cartridge they will do fine for normal 32 S&WL velocities. S&W established a twist of 18 3/4" for the 32 S&WL cartridge.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    John Taylor fabricated for me a .32 S&W Long barrel, not a stub job, to fit a small H&R .44 Garden Gun frame, using a pull-off M1 Garand barrel cut off at gas port and chamber neck. The short ten-inch twist barrel is very accurate firing inch 5-shot groups with iron sights at 25 yards firing common revolver loads. It will also stabilize Accurate 31-155D plain-based .30-30 bullets subsonic with a nominal case full of 4198.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    The OP already has barrels in hand, but I thought I'd pass this along for others that might want to build a rifle in 32 cal. Numrich has NOS barrels from 32 caliber Marlin model 1892's. These were chambered in 32 Colt long, so the bore diameter is .313" (not .312"). I see that the price has nearly doubled since I bought one, but it's another option for builders.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/454530

Boolit Master

Now y’all got me thinking about another project!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    The OP already has barrels in hand, but I thought I'd pass this along for others that might want to build a rifle in 32 cal. Numrich has NOS barrels from 32 caliber Marlin model 1892's. These were chambered in 32 Colt long, so the bore diameter is .313" (not .312"). I see that the price has nearly doubled since I bought one, but it's another option for builders.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/454530
    This looks like a really great option. How well would this barrel work with typical cast bullets and factory ammo for the .32 S&W Long?

Boolit Master
    Its likely this caliber would be subsonic ,even in a 30" barrel,so there is potential for accuracy ....low velocities need quicker spin rates ,which is why revolvers have quick twist rifling.