Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: MantisX training system

MantisX training system

Anyone have experience with the Mantisx product?
    Factual good/bad if you have.

Thanks

They do what they are supposed to do. You can definitely use it to analyze your wobble. My issue, and the reason for selling it are twofold.
    First, when you get to be able to use what your actual eye sees the moment the hammer falls in dry fire, you will have invaluable information that is even better than the Mantis.
    Second, the system is very sensitive. That’s what is it supposed to do. But since Mantis themselves could not comment on where the movement of the gun due to the sudden release of the hammer or the impact of the hammer on the firing pin, shows up on the trace, you can’t really weed out possible performance flaws from the movement that is caused by the above, so you can’t conclusively evaluate your ability to squeeze straight back without disturbing the sights. I sold my system when I discovered these facts thinking I might head down the path to try to correct things that are not really flaws in my trigger process.

Thanks for the info Longfellow.

Anyone else?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Longfellow View Post
    They do what they are supposed to do. You can definitely use it to analyze your wobble. My issue, and the reason for selling it are twofold.
    First, when you get to be able to use what your actual eye sees the moment the hammer falls in dry fire, you will have invaluable information that is even better than the Mantis.
    Second, the system is very sensitive. That’s what is it supposed to do. But since Mantis themselves could not comment on where the movement of the gun due to the sudden release of the hammer or the impact of the hammer on the firing pin, shows up on the trace, you can’t really weed out possible performance flaws from the movement that is caused by the above, so you can’t conclusively evaluate your ability to squeeze straight back without disturbing the sights. I sold my system when I discovered these facts thinking I might head down the path to try to correct things that are not really flaws in my trigger process.

Critical Question - Does it perform better than the 100 Year old technique of taking a 1911, unloading it, validating it's unloaded with no magazine, then placing a sharpened pencil/eraser down, touching the back of the slide; with the hammer back aim at a small spot 3 to 5 feet away on the wall/paper, slowly pull the trigger until the hammer falls and the pencil goes flying out of the barrel impacting the Paper Target. Repeat multiple times working on trigger control and grip control until the pencil point hits the same place time and time again.

I had toyed with the idea of buying some of the Mantis or competitors systems and leasing a small store front for people to come and train with the systems (Dry Fire) similar to a pistol range. Not sure I could make a business case for it though.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Believe it or not there are still some BE shooters using the pencil drill who can wipe our eyes with their skills. BTW, if you stand so the muzzle settles an inch from the wall then the pencil goes nowhere; much more friendly on the back this way.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Longfellow View Post
    Believe it or not there are still some BE shooters using the pencil drill who can wipe our eyes with their skills. BTW, if you stand so the muzzle settles an inch from the wall then the pencil goes nowhere; much more friendly on the back this way.
    But not as much diversion as doing drills in the evening while on Guard Duty (Back when TV was rare and Computers did not exist).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Here’s my thoughts on the Mantis as I just bought it and then promptly returned it.

I feel it’s a great tool for someone new to guns and learning the ropes. It helps engage them and makes it more fun to see their score and try to beat it etc. For me it was entertaining but not worth it. After years of regular dry fire I’ve learned when I pull etc so this tool wasn’t really doing anything for me. To each their own but I’d rather have a system that shows my point of impact like the laser academy. Just my .02

Boolit Master

There are two main products. One is the laser Academy that scores your laser hit on a target via a smart phone. You can get into that system for forty bucks.. Buy the laser and download is free with computer printed targets. You get accurate results just like live fire.
    The other is the mantisx. Several programs are available. Most all are geared toward idpa, uspsa pistol games. Substained fire is impossible except with double action pistols otherwise you need to handcock the action to get the hammer to fire.