Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolling your own 9mm defense loads

Boolit Grand Master
    With the 124 grain XTP, I load 6.2 grains of Power Pistol for a measured 1138 FPS from a Browning High Power. My COAL is 1.10.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I'll add support for XTPs. I've used them in .380 and .45 (not 9x19 yet). They're easy to find and accurate out of my handguns. Can't speak to load data (don't own a 9x19, sorry) from personal knowledge, but my Hornady 11th ed has them from 90 grains through 147 and COLs from 1.060 through 1.100 so there's an abundance of data.
    "There is no saint without a past, no sinner without a future."

- Saint Augustine

6.6 grs of Power Pistol with the 115gr Speer Gold Dot. Unless I have the Hornady 115gr Critical Defense ammo handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Not a 9mm but I've begun work on a 380 carry load. I don't see how people can afford proper reliability testing in the 380 using factory ammo.
    That said, I just purchased 1000 of Berry's 100 grain plated RN boolits. It's not the best profile for a SD load but IMHO reliability rules. These will be used in a Glock 42 which seems to be able to better handle stout loads than the smaller 380's.
    I've already worked up to a very heavy load of Bullseye with no signs of pressure. I found one source that went to an even higher charge than I'm loading. Might try that.
    In using the round nose boolit I feel I'm adhering to design intent. The 380, like the 45 acp, was designed around RN ammo.

I just use 135gr cast with WST in my compacts. Not going to be shooting long range. Did get a box of Hornady C.D. 134gr, haven't used them yet.
    Whatever!

If the goal is self-defense, then I suggest you stick with low flash powders. That eliminates Power Pistol and HS6.
    I like Ramshot Silhouette (cheap, easy to find). Western Load Data is excellent and Hodgdon has done a good job if incorporating it into their online load data.
    One thing about the XTP, you really should start with a long COL, and pkunk test it until you find where your chamber clears it. I would start at 1.15", Plunk, seat a little deeper if it doesn't drop and spin free, and repeat until you know you have a COL that works in your pistol. Sometimes well meaning forum advice forgets that published COL is just a reference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12