Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of selling Ben Forkin 44Special Ruger.....not sure about price

Boolit Master
    Well, I'll add a little more.

The Ruger Forum just changed it's rules a little when it comes to posting a classified ad.

Due to scammers & spammers,, they added a rule that to post something for sale in the Classifieds,, you must be a "supporting member."

Go with GunBroker. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't put it on Gunbroker & pay a fee if it were me, I'd go to 24 Hr Campfire or some of the gun forums that will allow you to sell it without the fee. And I sure wouldn't let it go for $2,000! It's worth more than that!

Dick

Boolit Master
    Once again, I really appreciate all the info. I need to figure out if I really want to sell it and then where.
    I guess I tend to under value my stuff. I'm so happy for y'all settin me straight!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    I wouldn't put it on Gunbroker & pay a fee if it were me, I'd go to 24 Hr Campfire or some of the gun forums that will allow you to sell it without the fee. And I sure wouldn't let it go for $2,000! It's worth more than that!

Dick
    +1. 24 hour campfire classifieds see alot of traffic

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

218Bee - IF you go with Gunbroker, some suggestions:

1) List the auction as long as possible; IIRC 13 or 14 days is the limit. The longest listing time gives bidders the most time to notice the auction and the item and start lusting. Be patient, schedule long and it will yield you max returns.

2) You have the option to pick the auction end date and time - it should end on a Sunday evening, ~ 9 PM. That way, everyone is usually home and available to bid, because the last couple-few hours is when all the significant activity takes place, and what you want is two or more guys (gals) entering into a bidding slugfest. The most greenhorn thing to do is end an auction at 10:30 AM when everyone's at work and may not be able to counter-bid. Sellers lose money doing this.

3) Be sure to charge enough for shipping; you will likely need to have a local FFL ship it for you, and you should check to see what they charge for shipping a handgun. It's best to list the "Buyer to pay actual shipping charges" in case the buyer is all the way across country.

4) Take LOTS of photos, even if you don't use them all in the listing. You'll have a thorough record of the revolver and it's condition. Be sure to include photos of every defect in the listing. Take them outdoors on a cloudy day for best results. Don't use flash; that causes glare and reflections which can be construed as defects that aren't.
    Extra photos saved me once from having to make a refund to an unscrupulous buyer of an M1 Carbine who received the gun, exchanged parts, and complained that the gun wasn't as advertised. He sent me photos of the carbine that showed a couple of his parts instead of mine installed, and I sent him back photos of all the parts that were manufacturer-marked that were on the carbine when I shipped it. Never heard back from him. At one time it was not uncommon for bent M1 Rifle and M1 Carbine collectors to buy one from GB or GA, take off what parts they wanted and install more common parts and gripe about the gun not being as advertised. Digital cameras and especially ultra-cheap digital camera film has combatted this deceptive practice, providing the seller is diligent in using said camera and film.

5) I'd suggest starting your listing at $1200, and let the bidding take it up because after almost two weeks of list time, people who know what it is will recognize its true value and bid it up. Sort of like starting it at $0.01, but without the anxiety.

6) Do go on in the listing about the build, the parts, the gunsmith, build quality, finish, the workmanship, the accuracy, etc. The sizzle helps the sell.

7) Do fuggedaboudt taking it to that gun show. People go to gun shows for bargains and have bargain-sized budgets. That revolver is a thoroughbred, not a nag; there won't be anyone interested in giving you what it's worth, unless that show is a big one in a well-moneyed area. Your best return will be a GB listing.

8) If you go the forum/message board route, then you may likely have to list a price, with or without "OBO." Might I suggest $1975 plus actual shipping FFL to FFL? If you go over $2000, that will psychologically limit some buyers.

Best of luck. If I didn't already have a number of 44 Spl revolvers including a couple custom Rugers, I'd already have PM'd you.

Noah

Moderator Emeritus

If you take it to a gun show, put a sandwich type sign front and back as to what you're selling and a $2500 price tag minimum. Keep it in a case away from grubby hands of non serious buyers. You might strike gold if you're willing to give your phone number out to someone who knows someone.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Noah, thanks for the detail about using gubroker. I appreciate the insight.

Boolit Master

A lot of good advice here. That is at least a 2K gun and could bring 3K in today's market. The guys on the Single Action Forum will be interested in It. This is just my opinion but I'll back it up in a PM...........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master
    Your problem will be that You are trying to sell a Ruger 44 Spl. for about 1 1/2 times what a 44 Special Ruger will cost anyone who wants one on Gunbroker. Now if these fellows who are alleging it's worth to be on the long side of two grand want to pony up, well by all means let them. But 44 lovers grow fewer with each passing year, and right now a lot of people are sitting scared on their money. But I think Noah's advice is the most practical.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    rintinglen,,, MANY folks who appreciate a custom gun will pony up the $2000+ for a Ben Forkin gun.

The single action forum has a policy of not allowing the LISTING of a firearm for sale. However,, this thread has been listed there in the "links" for many to see. I'm SURE they are watching it to see where this gun goes for sale.
    It is well worth more than a stock Ruger.

Somewhat like a Sedgley sporter is going to go for more than a no name gunsmith sporterized Springfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I am with rkrcpa. Ben Forkin revolvers are few and far between. You will probably do best on Gunbroker. If you don’t want to go that route, an ad on rugerforum.com will get some good attention. If you list it there, put a link on singleactions.com. Both of those forums are full of custom revolver guys.
    +1 for Gunbroker. Noah Zark's every word is gold. I used to buy/sell on GB until I realized that it is good for US sellers but not for Canadian buyers. Otherwise, it is a GREAT place to sell. To add to Noah's point re shipping cost: add a caveat that "the buyer pays actual shipping and handling cost", to avoid surprises such as "I did not realize FFL costs money". Also, spell out your check/money order policy in terms of how long you hold the item for the funds to clear. Check with your bank if you are not sure. Best of luck getting a top buck for this nice piece!

Is rugerforum.com still alive? Last I checked they did not accept new members, and there was not much traffic. It's been at least 7 years since. I used to be an active member on it but haven't been back for a long time.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Boolit Master
    "Is rugerforum.com still alive? Last I checked they did not accept new members, and there was not much traffic. It's been at least 7 years since. I used to be an active member on it but haven't been back for a long time. "

Yes. The Forum is not only still alive, it's been redone & is accepting new members etc.

Boolit Master
    Have bought and sold on GunBroker since I believe 2002... Once one has the process down and a good local ffl dealer to ship/receive your items it usually goes pretty smoothly.

As prices go, it just depends on the day. Saw two rare identical rifles sell a week apart... First one sold for $3400, the next one a week later only brought $2300. Sometimes I'll put a gun out for a penny start, sometimes the minimum I want to get for it. Never put something rare or hard to get with a BuyNow because you never know where it will go.

God luck whatever you decide on doing with the gun...Bob

Boolit Master
    Thanks again guys. I need to process all the information. I'm thinking shipping thru a FFL as I tried looking up regs on UPS and FEDEX and being quite a distance from any "customer center" seems like a hassle.
    Thanks guys, if I do put it up somewhere I'll put a notice here also.
    Nick

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    Have bought and sold on GunBroker since I believe 2002... Once one has the process down and a good local ffl dealer to ship/receive your items it usually goes pretty smoothly.

As prices go, it just depends on the day. Saw two rare identical rifles sell a week apart... First one sold for $3400, the next one a week later only brought $2300. Sometimes I'll put a gun out for a penny start, sometimes the minimum I want to get for it. Never put something rare or hard to get with a BuyNow because you never know where it will go.

God luck whatever you decide on doing with the gun...Bob
    Good friendly advice Bob. Aman needs to look into the market before he sells a custom gun by a known maker. Money could be left on the table.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Banned

your not getting two grand for it. you might findsomeone that says that that has no intention of buying it. ive had custom rugers fom clements, bowen gallagher and john and dustin linebaugh. i made money off 2 a 475 and a 500 john built. i just sold my last two 3 screws a 41 mag about identical to yours and a 44spec that was a bit fancier then yours . it was a 4 in round butted case hardened gun with exhibition grade walnut grips. sold them to my best friend so he got a deal on them at 2k for the pair. i figured top dollar for the 41 was a grand and 1300 for the 44. the problem you run into is a custom is a personal thing. guy wants one he wants it his way and isnt going to pay top dollar for your way. i seriously doubt your going to get an offer over a grand but id like to see you prove me wrong

Boolit Master
    "i seriously doubt your going to get an offer over a grand but id like to see you prove me wrong "

I'd offer over a grand & not think twice. And if I weren't already into a couple of other deals,, I would have already PMed the OP with a very fair offer. And it would be well over a grand.

Banned

key word? IF my guess is youve never tried to sell a custom gun and ive sold many. they were all worth more in my mind then the buyers. lots of things id buy that i would be willing to pay over market for IF I was rich. prove me wrong. buy it for what you consider a fair bargain. If you really know the custom gun market and what bens guns will bring and get hurting for money you should be able to flip it fast and even make money. Good luck with that. this is the part of my post that applies not what you quoted.

you might find someone that says that that has no intention of buying it

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    IF my guess is youve never tried to sell a custom gun and ive sold many. they were all worth more in my mind then the buyers.
    Same with custom cars. This is why tuners remove custom add-ons before the sale and restore their cars to stock.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast