WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45acp loads with the Lee 230tc boolit

.45acp loads with the Lee 230tc boolit

Howdy folks, I'm looking for info on loading my first batch of 45acp using the Lee 230gr tc. I just finished coating and sizing about 8lbs of boolits. The first thing I need to know is the c.o.l. How deep should I seat them? Then any loads one might be willing to share using the suitable powders I have on hand which is Longshot, TiteGroup, and BR-5. I have the Lyman cast manual #4 edition, Speer #11, plus a couple other manuals, just curious about anyones favorite load using the TC boolit.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

is that their tumble lube model?

I don't have any load data or suggestions to share outside what I could pull from a book as I used none of those powders.

But I was having feeding issues in my 1911 until I got down around 1.20 OAL.

Good luck, I really like this bullet and it was my first mold. It has shot really well for me after that initial I don't know what I'm doing learning curve

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10AE1966-2D58-4D70-ACDD-8B0F17F13051.jpeg 
Views:	184 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	312759.

Try this

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    is that their tumble lube model?
    Nope. Has one lube groove and two driving bands fore and after.
    Deplorable infidel

Quote Originally Posted by hades View Post
    I don't have any load data or suggestions to share outside what I could pull from a book as I used none of those powders.

But I was having feeding issues in my 1911 until I got down around 1.20 OAL.

Good luck, I really like this bullet and it was my first mold. It has shot really well for me after that initial I don't know what I'm doing learning curve
    Thanks, the oal is really what I need to know. I poked around the net first, but came up with nothing.
    Deplorable infidel

Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10AE1966-2D58-4D70-ACDD-8B0F17F13051.jpeg 
Views:	184 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	312759.

Try this
    OAL of 1.170. Thanks! what manual is this from?
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    I've found that loading data which gives good results with 230 gr. LRNs will give similar results with the 230 gr. TCs, though, as mentioned, the cartridge o.a.l. will be different.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I've found that loading data which gives good results with 230 gr. LRNs will give similar results with the 230 gr. TCs, though, as mentioned, the cartridge o.a.l. will be different.
    Yup, the COL is really what I needed. 230gr load data for the 45acp is well known info. Well, except for the BR-5 and even that has been discussed here. I'm off to the races......
    Thanks again folks!
    Dave.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    OAL of 1.170. Thanks! what manual is this from?
    Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4.

I load that bullet over 5 gr of Bullseye. Pressure tested in Contender test barrel at 18,900 psi.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

the data shown in post #4 is for the tumble lube bullet. That's the one I use powder coated. With an OAL of 1.185" it passes the "plunk test" and feeds perfectly in my Colt 1911.

the data shown in post #4 is for the tumble lube bullet. That's the one I use powder coated. With an OAL of 1.185" it passes the "plunk test" and feeds perfectly in my Colt 1911.
    Maybe I'll seat a dummy a tad long and start poking it in the barrel. DougGuy did a throat ream on this barrel a while back, so I might be able to stretch it out a bit. Is there a such thing as 'max col'? Or just if it fits in the magazine?
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    That’s exactly the length I load in my Combat Commander to get perfect feeding with the conventional lube groove version

You'll have issues feeding before it doesn't fit the magazine, most likely.

Otherwise yeah, if it fits and cycles fine, good to go.

Boolit Grand Master
    [QUOTE=fastdadio;5561694]OAL of 1.170. Thanks! what manual is this from?[/QUOTE

Lyman 4th. One thing Lyman has gotten good at is publishing their COAL's.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Maybe I'll seat a dummy a tad long and start poking it in the barrel. DougGuy did a throat ream on this barrel a while back, so I might be able to stretch it out a bit. Is there a such thing as 'max col'? Or just if it fits in the magazine?
    Make SURE that no part of your boolits exceed .452" before you load them in cases. Your throat will generally plunk any load that will cycle through the magazine as far as COA goes. Then of course you have to amend your load data for any deviation in COA from the COA published in the load data you are using.

If you go shooting your gun over a chrony, you may find that you can adjust your powder upward because there is less resistance in the throat that I send out, resulting in a bit less pressure, and a loss of maybe 25-30 fps from the same load fired in a non throated barrel where the boolit immediately meets resistance in the throat and pressure builds faster and more psi because of the resistance. Read up on some of Jerry Keefer's forums posts and he mentions this, he says it better than I do but it's the same thing, we both throat barrels pretty much the same way.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Lyman has the overall length on every page. If you go shorter back off on the powder. I do this for 9mm to run a full magazine. Like the above post--make sure the dummy will plunk. You may have to resize when you powder coat.

I also use 5 grs of Bullseye and seat them like this. With PC they may need to be a skoosh deeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The .45 ACP is quite easy to load for, it isn't twitchy like the 9/10 mms are. Seat any appropriate bullet so you can LIGHTLY taper crimp it into the crimp groove of a dummy round; if it will then feed and chamber from the magazine you're home free.

Don't try to hot rod that round. The .45 ACP doesn't need a lot of speed to do its thing and anyone trying to make it go fast will just beat up their gun.

I feel safe shooting any book load for that fine 113 year old round, it has no secrets. Most full power - or near full power - book loads will give good to excellent accuracy ... IF the pistol is good and IF the bullets are properly alloyed/cast/sized/lubed!

Have fun!

Boolit Master

Your most reliable feeding will be with about 1/32" of the major diameter protruding out of the case like Texas By Good shows in his pic. Taper crimp to around .470. The .45 ACP works well with a lot of powders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast