WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of selling Ben Forkin 44Special Ruger.....not sure about price

Boolit Master

Thinking of selling Ben Forkin 44Special Ruger.....not sure about price

I had Ben Forkin put together a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Special for me back when Ruger did not produce a 44 Special.
    Built on a 3 screw frame, he installed a new barrel and line bored cylinders. Tuned action, rough country rear sight, Ajax grips.
    I'm thinking of letting it go. Don't remember how much it cost me to have it done, maybe $900-$1100 or so, can't remember.
    Thinking its worth $1200 or so? Maybe more? Maybe less? Looking for advice on what to ask. I'm setting up at a gunshow next weekend.
    I've put a few hundred rounds thru it (mostly cast), but other than cylinder face dirty cant hardly tell its been fired.
    My arthritis and old eyes prevent me from shooting handguns for fun anymore.
    Wondering what you guys think.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0990.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	311444Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0991.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	311445Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0992.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	311446

Moderator Emeritus

A successful buddy never ceased professing, "You may go down in price -- but never up!!!". Hughie surely was correct. As a special, custom, in great shape RARE revolver built on an (almost ) unsurpassed in quality frame by one of the best-known best-quality manufacturers -- I'd print (using a large font for easy reading) page or two describing what was done to this revolver, and by whom, and put a price on it roughly double what you're suggesting.
    A good friend and I went to a LGS where an untouched 6" barreled Colt Python was in case with a "sold" tag attached bearing a $2,220.00 price tag on it! My friend chuckled that he'd better sell his, as he gave about $650.00 for same firearm!
    Again, as Hughie professed (rest his soul) -- you can always go down in price. Also -- from "talkers" at show, you may learn a "good, concrete" price offering, too, if someone does not snap it up on your listed price.
    BEST wishes!
    geo

Boolit Master
    What do I think???
    I think that’s a GORGEOUS revolver! You made some very nice choices there….well except for getting rid of it.
    Sorry you’re at that point in life. It’s coming for me too.

I remember my Grand Dad saying “You can get 80% fast. But if you hold out for 100% you’ll earn every penny”.

In my shopping and buying I notice custom guns don’t sell well to the public. I guess by definition they are a very small niche market. Else that configuration would have been mass produced. But for a reloader, serious shooter, caster of boolits, man oh man 44 Special is great cartridge. A good 3 screw action, good sights and a quality build is a wonderful thing.

I see good 3 screw 357 Rugers selling in Cabelas and retailers in Houston for $1k give or take a little. I think getting your $1200 number is reasonable. I think I paid $800 for my 4” flat top new model 44 spl about 5 years ago. So you’re definitely in the ball park in my opinion. Now that would be a bargain if you commissioned that same gun today.

So there’s my thoughts.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Mold
    Man, what I would give for a Ben Forkin revolver.

Boolit Buddy
    My observations lead me to believe getting a 100% return on a custom built item is often wishful thinking. If you need the money (a dismal reason for selling a weapon) that nice revolver will readily sell for a loss. For 100%, you may find yourself waiting a bit, so it depends on your priority. If you are setting up at a gunshow, you will be dealing with many people who have never heard of Ben Forkin, and will compare your price to regular production .44s

Boolit Grand Master
    Given that the regular 44 Rugers are going for 900-1100, You ought to be able to belabor the custom trigger and hand fitted action and put the price at $1299. If you don't get a bite in the first few hours, then, if you like, you can take a red marker, line out the original 1299, and write $1099.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

What would it cost to have it built today including the price of the base gun? Plus a premium for available now vs. waiting for a custom build, I would start at no less than $2,000.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the comments. Not sure what I want to do. I've sold so many guns over the years that when I see what they go for now I cant believe it.
    Remingtons have gone nuts lately. I used to buy 788's and 722's for a few hundred bucks cause they were inexpensive but accurate guns. Now all of a sudden guys are asking $700 or more for them.
    I guess the one that really gets me is, I had a Colt Realtree Anaconda 44mag. So it was a stainless Anaconda that was painted in "Realtree" camo, with a painted in realtree camp scope on it (Redfield maybe?), and came in a Realtree carrying case. I had an FFL at the time and paid $600 for it. I hunted with it a few times and sold it a few years later for $850. Last one I saw guy was asking $3500!!!!!!!! wow don't know what it sold for.
    Anyway, just a sign of being old I guess......"I remember when..."
    Thanks again and keep your thoughts coming.

I am with rkrcpa. Ben Forkin revolvers are few and far between. You will probably do best on Gunbroker. If you don’t want to go that route, an ad on rugerforum.com will get some good attention. If you list it there, put a link on singleactions.com. Both of those forums are full of custom revolver guys.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Wheelguns 1961 has offered good advice.

I'd put it on GunBroker with a starting price of $1200.00 and you may well be surprised as to what it sells for. The trick on GB is to list DETAILS,, and several pictures. The more info the better.
    Or, as noted, go over to the single actions forum (I think the link is singleactions.proboards.com) and the good folks there will offer good advice. But you can NOT post guns for sale on that site. It's a rule set by proboards.
    BUT,, if you list it on GB, you CAN put a "link" to the GB ad over there.

Boolit Master
    100% GunBroker...even with the sellers fee you are going to make a lot more than you have into it...

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Using the internet to reach a national market is a good suggestion. Even if a gunshow attracts several thousand (a small number compared to an online auction) only a minority will be interested in .44 SA revolvers, and only a minority of that minority will have the money to spend.

Boolit Master

All those Skeeter Skelton inspired conversions are good for 3XRetail as a starting number. I think an auction would be your best bet.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Mold
    That's a $2k+ gun all day long, but not at a gun show

Ruger forum or GB for sure. Were it mine I'd probably put $2500 on it and go from there. Might sell immediately, might have to drop the price a time or two, but you're unlikely to leave much money on the table that way.

If the price is $1200 PM me and we'd have a deal lol

That fit and finish work really stands out, even among custom revolversmiths.

Pretty revolver. Are those buffalo horn grips?

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the tips.
    Yes, I guess a "national" audience with guys that know what the revolver is, may be a better idea.
    Never sold on GB but have bought a few from there.
    Grips are AJAX pearlite I believe. It should have nicer grips on it, but I had it made to be used, couldn't afford much more at the time.

That's nice. Ben Forkin work maintains a premium price. Don't let anybody talk you down. I would sell something else.

All I can say is; Wish I had spare money. $2000+

Boolit Master
    I appreciate the advice guys. I don't think I will even take to gun show next weekend. Thats why I wanted some advice. I may have made a costly error.
    Ideally I hope to find a buyer who appreciates it and wants to shoot and enjoy it. Not someone that hopes to flip it for a profit.

Boolit Master
    Also, the market is not always logical. Lately I've seen a couple of Ruger Super Blackhawk 454s go for money that would buy you a Freedom Arms model 83. It probably doesn't help the value of your revolver that Ruger eventually made 44 specials. Still, Forkin's work doesn't compare directly with the factory. Eventually I wonder if the prices of single action revolvers might sag due to the typical age of the shooters interested? My LGS owner tells me this has already happening in a few other categories where interest historically has been among ageing baby boomers, etc.

Anyhow I concur that Gunbroker or secondly a specialized forum for sale listing is the way to go - not a gunshow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast