Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking of selling Ben Forkin 44Special Ruger.....not sure about price

Lloyd is right. Custom guns are always viewed through the owner’s rose-colored glasses. Bottom line is that nothing is worth a particular dollar value until it is sold. That’s what it ended up being worth- only what someone is willing to pay. Keep your expectations low and if that doesn’t sit well, keep it and enjoy it.

Banned

yup when i bought my challenger there was a mint 392 just like mine. dealer had been sitting on it for over a year because someone put a supercharger on it. he ended up having to pull it off and said he sold it in days for the same price he was asking with the 8k supercharger. now you can argue that a custom gun isnt just parts bolted on. but to me its like if i decide today i want a custom 3 screw pick one up and then ask my neighbor to decide how what and who builds it.

The price on Ruger .44 Specials really is a wow.
    Plumb amazin'!

Boolit Master
    From what I have seen it depends on who did the work. If your local smith modified something it may decrease the value, but put the documentation that Bowen, Clements, Huntington, etc. did the work and a gun can bring big money. Especially today when it may take 2-3 years to get a gun done by one of the big name shops...

Boolit Mold
    Anyone who doesn't think it will fetch 2,500 on GB doesn't know Forkin

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by squawberryman View Post
    Anyone who doesn't think it will fetch 2,500 on GB doesn't know Forkin
    Most people don't. Despite the minute rabid fan base, his is not a name like Hamilton Bowen, or Gary Reeder. And I'll bet if you ask ten average shooters at the gun range if they know them, 6 or more will go "who." Custom single actions sell to a very small market. If you are expecting big money for one, expect to wait a good while before it sells.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Mold
    As a fellow member of the minute rabid fan base, I know a handful of individuals who they or their kids DAILY search every selling site known to gun nuts for certain words, Forkin being one of them. If it goes to auction, it'll go high.

Personally, I have never heard of Mr. Forkin but it's obvious many have and in the custom handgun world, I trust their word here as to this guns value and desirability. Someone will want this Ruger and be willing to pay whatever price for it, simple as that. GB gets us the biggest "for sale" advertisement and to the most folks who may look for such a gun; at least GB is a good place to begin. Price or starting bid is up to the seller but opinions here seem to think $1200. is a good beginning so why not?
    Custom anything is, IMO not easy to sell for what we have invested. Not all sales mind you but most perhaps. When I was hunting very big and dangerous game I had built two custom Bolt rifles and one double. When I sold them the bolt guns had increased their value but the double sold at a minor loss. That often is the nature of these guns and I knew it going in.
    This Forkin gun might bring a handsome profit for the OP and I hope that happens, many responders seem to agree; so why tell him your experience of selling at a loss will also be his, humm?
    On another note; I built up a Chevy Malibu many years back, lost my Ars on that one!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123