MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which 1903A3

Boolit Master

I've got a Smith-Corona 1903A3 with a C prefix serial #(C371xxxx). I have no idea when it was made and my skills don't tend to separate rifles by accurate results in shooting. Nice to know that they have a good reputation.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Still working on the perfect load for my 2 groove Remington.
    I really like the rifle, and so far 16- 17 grains of 2400, and the RCBS 30-165 shoots pretty well.
    My groups are 2 - 3 inches at 100 with open sights. Probably about all the better my eyes can see the sights, but I am still hopeful that i will get better.
    So far my K31 will out shoot it, but I have put more work into a load for the Swiss, than I have for the 03A3.
    The same bullet, and 20.5 of 4227 in the swiss, will shoot under 2 inches, at 100, and under and inch at 50 yards.

lead c if you can shot a group with open sights of 2 to 3 inches at a hundred yards, how much better do you want? Maybe your K31 will shoot a slightly better group but both are easily minute of whitetail. You should be proud, good work. Wish I still could.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Banned

I just happened to pick up an 03A3 last week. It is a rebuild with an unmarked C stock but matching Remington receiver and barrel 8-43. All i did was disassemble it, clean and put back together hand tightening all the screws. It shot 2 MOA with factory M2 PPU ammo. I will develop some loads and make sure it is bedded properly but I think this could definitely be a 1 MOA shooter. The barrel appears almost pristine and I got in on GI for a super deal. I thought because of the price it might have a lot of issues to fix or not overly accurate. Got lucky. These things are going from 1500-2500 these days.

Boolit Grand Master
    alamogunr---IIRC, I had a "C" prefix SC and the story was Remington used some s/n's on their rifles that were assigned to SC, so you had two rifles with the same s/n. SC was instructed to add the "C" to the s/n to make different s/n's on the rifles. Not a whole lot of the SC's around with the "C" marked s/n's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Smith Corona's are generally considered to be "best" for quality and resale. However, as geogerkahn says, the condition is most often the deciding factor. My SC is in excellent "as issued" condition [it was only arsenal inspected, not rebuilt] and it shoots sub moa with match loads using 175 gr MKs. I shot 20 rounds through it before I found out it was "as issued".

Attachment 311447
    Larry, what is the deal with unmarked C stocks 03A3s? Did they just use these to do rebuilds but never bothered to mark them?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12