Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: RCBS 35 200 in 35 Rem mod 14

Boolit Mold

RCBS 35 200 in 35 Rem mod 14

Hello,, finely got a chance to run a few over the chrony,, rcbs 35 200 in once fired R P brass, alloy is 18 hbn majic alloy from missouri bullet, [ 92-6-2 ] using cci 200 primers and gas checked,, i used a LEE 2.5cc dipper carded off is throwing 38.4 gr of lever , checked on a small portible digital scale,, had to remove a couple of grains from the first dip, marked that one to keep track of it,, 38.4 for the rest of 5 rounds, seated 4 @ 2.41 and left one at 2.42.. chrony at 11 feet shooting off hand at a ceader at 85 yrds,, the marked case went across the chrony at 1990 fps,, the 2.42 went over at 2064,, 2.42 had the bullet just touching the lands,, the last 3 went 2056,, 2055,, 2054,, did not have time to shoot a group but the dust was jumping about where the front bead said it should on the cedar,, i cleaned her and no leading,, i have never used alloy that is this hard or pushed them this fast before,,but she's shooting real good here so far,, the big question is is the alloy to hard for hunting and even though it's running pretty good here so far , should i try to slow it down some , ?? maybe try 2400 or some other powder ?? in talking to Veral Smith in the past he was an avid advocate of cast bullets and jacketed velocitys,, but i thought i'd run it by you guys and get your opinion's and go from there.. thanks..

Boolit Master

I don't try to push my 35's that fast, but that is my favorite bullet for all of them. I will be watching for your results. I might need to bump mine up a little.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I also do Not push the "Trombones"... Too hard on brass usually...unless you have a somewhat smaller chamber...
    My 98 Mauser in 35 rem???? that gets experimental sometimes... but... shoots that Boolit best right around where you are at ..tho certainly all guns have different "taste"

Boolit Grand Master

In my rebarreled M91 Argentine Mauser (26" Shilen barrel, 14" twist) I push the 35-200-FN cast of COWW + 2% tin, GC'd & lubed, over 45 gr LeveRevolution at 2384 fps with a measured psi of 37,900. Holds 10 shots out of clean barrel inside 2 - 2.5 moa out to 300 yards.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    Hello, i had the chance to pull them down,, the cases show no signs of pressure and the primers show a little flattning but almost no mushroom ,, all in all ,, this load would work but i think i'll run an even 38 gr and shoot a group,, my concern is the speed and the hardness of the lead,, i've never ran anything over 15-16 bhn. [ #2 alloy ] mostly, COWW's with a bit of tin ,, but they've dried up around here and getting realy hard to come by,, this alloy if i remember right ran me 40 bucks for 16 lbs so i thought i'd give it a try,, i've read in several articals somewhere that hi velocity and hard alloy can lead to impact fragmentation instead of mushrooming with a lot of penetration,, last thing i want is a wounded deer or hog to track down,, have any of you ran this alloy or something simmeler. ?? i'd realy appreaciate your guy's thoughts on this,, thanks..

Boolit Grand Master

My start load of LeveRevolution with the RCBS 35-200-FN bullet was 41.5 gr which gave 2065 fps at only 30,000 psi. Your 38.5 gr load under the same bullet is, no doubt, even less psi. The SAAMI MAP for the 35 Rem is 33,500 psi. You might try up to 41.5 gr of LeveRevolution. FYI; Federal 200 gr PowerShok factory loads ran 2286 fps at 35,200 psi.

I would mix that alloy 50/50 with pure lead then add 2% tin. That would give close to a 94/3/3 alloy which would be excellent for hunting deer/hogs with your M14 35 Rem.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Larry,, my original start up load was 42 gr of lever,, i was sizing .360 , had 3 coats of Hi-Tek coating baked on them,, when i checked the load with my chrony they went over at 2198 fps,, i backed off to 38.4 and plain with no coating and seated 2.41 which puts the front band a smidge off the lands is running mid 2050's,, i was shooting for something in the factory loaded range, winchester factory loads run around 2040 fps and remington's run around 2050 fps, but i wanted lower pressure loads because the old rifle was built in 1914,, for casting alloy,, i normaly would run 50/50 with coww/plumbers lead that ive managed to hoard back over the years and a bit of tin to help mold fillout,, but the coww's are getting realy hard to come by,, lot of guys are grabbing them up and making sinkers and selling them to the bait shops and the like,, the last batch i was able to get a hold of had a few unmarked zink's in it and ruined the whole batch,, i bought the alloy i'm running now from the Missouri bullet company and am told it's about 18 bhn,, 92-6-2.. it ran if i remember right about 40.00 for 16 pounds + ship.. i was going to order some #2 from buffalo arms up in sandpoint idaho but when i pulled it up found out it went to 4 something a pound... so i haven't done anything yet ,, i was hoping someone in the group here was or is using this 92-6-2 alloy and wreather or not it stays malleble at 2000 + fps a holds together,, anyway, thanks agin Larry.. Ed