RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x57mm heavy bullet loads

8x57mm heavy bullet loads

I have a new to me Lee two cavity mould. On top it is stamped 8mm Max. A long flat nose design that drops at 250grs from my alloy. The sectional density of these has to be .300 or better!
    What loads have worked for this bullet?
    My rifle is a Polish 98 in good order.
    I’m sure that I can use Unique or Red Dot but I also have IMR 4227, 4198, and 3031.
    Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a 216 gr Boolit mold.
    I have used up to 13 gr of Red Dot
    Or 16 gr of Unique.
    But my favorite powder is 28 gr of RL-7
    You said your rifle was a Polish 98.
    Is that the Model 29
    Just wondering because I recently replaced a stock on one of those models for a friend.
    They look like well built models.
    In my records I found that I use to load a 220 gr Jacketed bullet with 3031.
    The loads were around 36 gr
    Last edited by LAGS; 03-10-2023 at 11:48 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 16 gr. of 2400 and a magnum primer with a 225 gr. bullet. Shoots tighter than I can hold with a German 1943 DUV 98K.

Boolit Master
    I have the 8mm karr, the box says 215 grs. but mine is almost 240 lubed and checked, it also pours around .326-7. It shot well in my M48 but refused to feed out of one side of the mag. The front of the bullet would hit the butt of the barrel. I cobbled up a cutter and turned it into a RN. It does feed now and weighs 240 out of the mold.

I looked but can't put my hands on my notes but I am quite certain I used IMR 4198 in the 20 grain range and a dacron filler. I sized it to .325 as that's the only 8mm sizer I have. I use fairly stiff loads, I ran into a lot of blow back and case shortening with lighter loads.

I didn't get to totally ring it out, I got seriously side tracked and haven't got back to it yet. Please keep us informed and maybe I can get my butt in gear and work more with mine.

I read an article on Polish Mausers a while back. Seems if you have one you can count it to have been used in the fight, on both sides. They were not a great many around, good fiind.

Thank you all.
    This came to me from a friend as just the barreled action. Also came with a semi inletted walnut classic stock.
    I decided to try something different and added native pecan wood accents to the stock.
    It has been scrubbed and re-stamped and apparently went to serve in the Spanish Civil War from what I read. It seems as well made as any German or Czech Mauser that I’ve had. The front sight is unusual- unlike most Mauser sights that I’ve seen.
    I epoxied a scope base on the rear sight leaf so that I can use a FF3 red dot sight instead of the issue sights.
    I shot a 3” three shot group @100yds yesterday with 175 gr Privi btsp so I’m hoping that it likes cast as well.
    I have the Lee 324-175 mould also to try.

Boolit Master
    I agree that front sight is totally different then the regular model 98 front sight.
    The rear sight is also mounted a little further to the rear then other Mauser sights.
    On the Model 29 that I rebuilt the owner got me a surplus stock that I refinished.
    But there was no handguard.
    So I had to make one.
    I built the pattern out of a VZ 24 handguard and a Turkish 38 rear portion that fit the groove in the front of the receiver.
    Yes,
    I cut them in half and glued the two handguard sections together and filled the old hole for the rear sight so I could cut in the hole for the correct rear sight position.

i bought four of the swedish made 8 mm rifles built on fn 98 comersial actions in the late 40,s(i think 640 models). they have ex bores with pretty good outsides. i have been shooting J-175 gr bullets at 2700 fps with varget, getting 1-3/4 " three shot groups with open sights at 100 yrds. they originaly came from simpsons, but i got them at public auction for 350.00 to 400.00 each. if your looking for a good strong 98 action i recommend them.

Boolit Master
    Texas: Nice stock. Can you get a piece of pecan big enough to carve a complete stock? Just my opinion but I think a pecan stock would look great. (especially on something like a muzzleloader) Also, is that Fred Flintstone's outboard motor? That has to be the oldest outboard motor I've ever seen.

Boolit Grand Master

With a 250 gr cast bullet i would use a slower burning powder such as RL19, RL22, IMR 4350, H4350, IMR 4831 or H4831. If load desity is less than 80% I'd use a dacron filler. If a plinker/casual load is wanted I certainly use a much lighter bullet in the 150 - 170 gr range.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Thanks all.
    405, that is a Western Auto Wizard outboard motor. 1948 vintage; I’ve never messed with it and don’t remember where I got it!
    I put it on the fence to annoy my wife. It worked
    And I do have a couple of pecan blanks if you want one. PM me.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Is that 8mm Max going to even chamber in a wz.29 without putting the gas check way below the neck? The Max was designed for the m/88 and the older, heavier cartridge was it not?

TbG, I think you’re going to want the Lee 175gr mold, shoot exceptional out of my 98k.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

8x57mm heavy bullet loads

I do have a Lee 175 gr mould, but the first time I tried it the halves weren’t seating square so I’ve repaired it but I haven’t cast with it since.
    I did use some older Lee 175s that I had from a previous 8mm and they did work well.
    The Max did have the gas check below the neck- it’s a long bullet. I wasn’t pleased with it accuracy wise and I got some leading as well.
    That experiment failed.

Last edited by Texas by God; 03-15-2023 at 09:18 PM.

Boolit Master

TbG,

Nice to see another scout mount user. Looking forward to hearing about your results. I don’t think there are too many of us still using WC870 or 872 from GIBRASS, but 48gr under the Lee bullet is all I could ask for, and it’s still cheap.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Is that 8mm Max going to even chamber in a wz.29 without putting the gas check way below the neck? The Max was designed for the m/88 and the older, heavier cartridge was it not?<snipped>
    I've only test fired a couple rds but they do go ~bang~. Don't recall offhand what load I used, possibly Unique or Reddot or 700X. The nose alone is .325" and I size to .325" so that big honkin' boolit does indeed hang deep in the case. That's as far out before it hits the rifling in my old Gewehr 98. (or was it the K98?)

Dutch

Boolit Master

Thanks Dutch. That exactly what I remember trying one in a ‘42 byf K98k. What seemed like most of the projectile inside the case. I know lots of fellows do it with no ill effects, but no thank you, 175-200 grains works quite nicely.

Banned
    I've been using the Lyman 323471 pointed Loverin style bullet in my scoped Yugo 48B Mauser for decades. What I like about it is the BC is very high for a cast bullet and it sure proves out at my 465 yard shooting with it. Very accurate at that distance. I use near a full case charge of 872 powder. It's fairly pleasant to shoot. I also have the NOE copy and it's shoots the same.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    I've been using the Lyman 323471 pointed Loverin style bullet in my scoped Yugo 48B Mauser for decades. What I like about it is the BC is very high for a cast bullet and it sure proves out at my 465 yard shooting with it. Very accurate at that distance. I use near a full case charge of 872 powder. It's fairly pleasant to shoot. I also have the NOE copy and it's shoots the same.
    I have both Lyman 323471 @ .324" and NOE version I think is called 326471 @ .325". I've shot the Lyman more than the NOE so far. My rifles love it. I also sized down the Lyman to .321" and shot it through the German Commission Gewehr 1888 with excellent results. I shoot pretty much everything with Unique, Reddot, 2400 and 700X.

Dutch

Boolit Grand Master

Ah yes, the tried and true Lyman 323471. My mould is a factory HP mould which fully dressed HOs run 198 gr. With a hot steel BB dropped in the mould sans the HP stem the COWW alloyed bullets weigh in at 218 gr. I load the "solids" in the 8x57 over 30 gr of H4895 with a dacron filler which give 1875 fps out of my VZ24. Accuracy at 100 runs very close to MOA and, as previously mentioned, due to the very high BC the bullet holds very well out to 500 yards.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    <snipped to reveal.....>With a hot steel BB dropped in the mould sans the HP stem the COWW alloyed bullets weigh in at 218 gr.
    Ok, I see but I don't recall seeing anything about this little trick before. I once found a copper plated BB inside the rebound slide of a Smith & Wesson Brazilian 1937 .45 revolver. I'm sensing its not the same thing as dropping it into a molten tiny bullet mold. Due tell.....

Dutch

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Ah yes, the tried and true Lyman 323471. My mould is a factory HP mould which fully dressed HOs run 198 gr. With a hot steel BB dropped in the mould sans the HP stem the COWW alloyed bullets weigh in at 218 gr. I load the "solids" in the 8x57 over 30 gr of H4895 with a dacron filler which give 1875 fps out of my VZ24. Accuracy at 100 runs very close to MOA and, as previously mentioned, due to the very high BC the bullet holds very well out to 500 yards.
    I don't think any other Lyman bullet comes close to that 8mm's BC. Speaking of which those Lab Radar Chronographs tell you what the BC is, I like that, but unfortunately I don't own one.

Another thing I found Larry is that as exceptional that bullets shoots at long distance I would have thought it would be spectacular at 100 yards. It hasn't been for me and I do think that it's not fully asleep at 100 yards. What's your take on this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast