Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x57mm heavy bullet loads

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    I have both Lyman 323471 @ .324" and NOE version I think is called 326471 @ .325". I've shot the Lyman more than the NOE so far. My rifles love it. I also sized down the Lyman to .321" and shot it through the German Commission Gewehr 1888 with excellent results. I shoot pretty much everything with Unique, Reddot, 2400 and 700X.

Dutch
    Dutch I've taked both bullets, NOE and LYMAN, cast with the same alloy, and tried putting them back in the mould cavity of the wrong mould they came from and was shocked when they dang near fit!

Banned
    Dutch I got that new LEE mould and cast with it today. This is what I got. My bullets weigh 143 grains. Bottom bands are .267 to.269. The bottom of the nose is .264 and at the very bottom. It starts tapering away from that .264 right away towards the nose of course. Alloy was wheel weights.

Can't help much with the 250 gr., as the heaviest I've shot was 220 gr. CGC over IMR-4895 from one of my VZ24s. Beautiful rifle, love the contrast between the pecan and walnut.

DG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    Dutch I got that new LEE mould and cast with it today. This is what I got. My bullets weigh 143 grains. Bottom bands are .267 to.269. The bottom of the nose is .264 and at the very bottom. It starts tapering away from that .264 right away towards the nose of course. Alloy was wheel weights.
    Thanks for the report. Will want to see results!!

Though, the truth be told that new Lee boolit is...... one of the Lee sisters. Ugly, Beastly, Homely. It does not excite me. It lacks an imaginative shape, as 266469 does. Even 266673 is a more visually appealing cast boolit. I am quite sure that these visual attributes contribute, nearly exclusively, to total target annihilation, be it paper of critter. This boolit will have to re-write the knowledge required to achieve cast master-class status in the Swedish Mauser platform. I watch for these things.

Dutch

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think any other Lyman bullet comes close to that 8mm's BC. Speaking of which those Lab Radar Chronographs tell you what the BC is, I like that, but unfortunately I don't own one.

Another thing I found Larry is that as exceptional that bullets shoots at long distance I would have thought it would be spectacular at 100 yards. It hasn't been for me and I do think that it's not fully asleep at 100 yards. What's your take on this.
    Could be but honestly, over the many years, I've only found a few bullet/load combinations that had not gone to sleep by the time they reached 100 yards. What i have found to be the common thread when groups were larger at 100 yards than, say 200 yards, id the error was scope induced. The parallax in the scope was usually adjusted [factory set at 150 or 200 yards]. With a properly adjusted parallax for the range used the accuracy was good. Not saying that is the case for you but if the scope on your rifle has a fixed parallax (?) that's probably the problem.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned
    Good while back a writer was testing a then new 300 Wby Mag Weatherby tactical rifle. Had a big scope on it. It shot terrible at 100 yards, something like 3 inch groups. He was about ready to do a trash write up on it when he though he maybe should shoot it at 300 yards which he did. Viola! Chewed a nice tight group. If that's the truth I still wouldn't want it if didn't shoot at 100 yards. Who knows, maybe reload it with differe bullets.

On the 8mm Mauser the scope was adjustable for parallax. That bullet just didn't want to group tight at 100 yards. You're right most bullets should be stable by 100 yards, but some are not. I remember shooting the original Cruise Missile. At 100 yards it left coma's on the bullet holes at 100 yards and the target was plumb 90 degrees straight up. At 300 yards the bullet holes were round. Go figure.

While I got your attention, and this will make you laugh, Weatherby came out with a new cartridge that made me think of you. First it's 338 caliber and has a normal shoulder. Get ready, the name is 338 Weatherby RPM!!!! Now ain't that something!!! LOL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Thanks for the report. Will want to see results!!

Though, the truth be told that new Lee boolit is...... one of the Lee sisters. Ugly, Beastly, Homely. It does not excite me. It lacks an imaginative shape, as 266469 does. Even 266673 is a more visually appealing cast boolit. I am quite sure that these visual attributes contribute, nearly exclusively, to total target annihilation, be it paper of critter. This boolit will have to re-write the knowledge required to achieve cast master-class status in the Swedish Mauser platform. I watch for these things.

Dutch
    Okay Dutch, I don't have my hopes up. The bullet looks different when holding it in your hands and eyeballing it. First off there are zero 6.5 cartridges that you can seat the base of the bullet to the base of the neck and NOT have a lube groove exposed. When Loverins we have to put up with exposed lube grooves and lots of them. Next up that band that separates the lube grooves is much narrower in real life then the pictures. That bullet doesn't fit the normal LEE rifle bullets. Someone had to draw that up and submit it to then and got them to cut it. There no way that it will work in a 6.5 Grendel that I can see as the nose is too large to seat into the bore unless it's deeply seated in the case. A no no for a 6.5 Grendel as there's not much powder room there. Let me see how she shoots in the other 6.5's.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a chance to buy a Saeco # 081 190 grn 2 cavity mold decsribed as .323-.324 mold for a very reasonable price. A friend got it in an estate purchase. before I buy it I thought I'd check here and see if anyone has tried in in a M48.
    Ancomment will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    TF

Boolit Master
    "First off there are zero 6.5 cartridges that you can seat the base of the bullet to the base of the neck and NOT have a lube groove exposed."

The Lyman #266673 in a 6.5x55 Swede can seat the base of the bullet to the base of the neck and not leave the lube groove exposed. The 6.5 Grendel has different features than most of the other 6.5mm cartridges (6.5 MS, 6.5 Carcano, 6.5 Japanese, 6.5 Swedish, etc.), but it's reduced powder capacity may actually be a plus when shooting cast loads as it may be getting better powder load density. The older 6.5's were initially designed to fire long for caliber bullets with a high twist rate barrel. What's the twist rate on the Grendel? I don't shoot the Grendel, but maybe shooting a shorter and lighter bullet might work better in this caliber. Thoughts?

tacofrank: The Saeco #081 is an excellent mold for the 8x57 Mauser.

Quote Originally Posted by tacofrank View Post
    I have a chance to buy a Saeco # 081 190 grn 2 cavity mold decsribed as .323-.324 mold for a very reasonable price. A friend got it in an estate purchase. before I buy it I thought I'd check here and see if anyone has tried in in a M48.
    Ancomment will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    TF
    The SAECO #081 is a really good mold for an M48. I have 3 NOE 8mm and a Accurate Molds for my 8 x 57. I traded for some and they worked fine. I size my 8mm to .325. I think you will be happy with it. hc18flyer

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks hc18flyer,
    I really appreciate your reply. I didn't see it earlier. I have a hat full of molds I thought should have been good in a particular rifle. Lol !
    Thanks Again,
    TF

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tacofrank View Post
    Thanks hc18flyer,
    I really appreciate your reply. I didn't see it earlier. I have a hat full of molds I thought should have been good in a particular rifle. Lol !
    Thanks Again,
    TF
    I have the Yugo 48 B Mauser and the Lyman 323471 and the LEE 170 grain are excellent in it and they fit without deep seating. After those two, and NOE's version of the Lyman 323471 I have no use for any other 8mm moulds.

I have the Yugo 48 B Mauser and the Lyman 323471 and the LEE 170 grain are excellent in it and they fit without deep seating. After those two, and NOE's version of the Lyman 323471 I have no use for any other 8mm moulds.
    I agree. My brothers 24/47 has a shorter throat, and it really likes the Lee 175 grain boolet! I have a couple of NOE's versions, work well!

Boolit Master
    I have the 8 Max design mould. I fired a few rounds of 8 x 57 in a M 70 Zastava using MR 3100:
    41.5 gr - 1620 fps ; 43.0 gr. - 1735 fps and 45.0 gr. - 1928 fps ( this was a single reading and is suspiciously high).
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master

I finally got the front sight to move and for the issue sights(and shooting from the tractor fender)- I’m happy with the 175 Lee.
    I’m thinking very seriously about a Redfield receiver sight on it.
    There’s one in the drawer….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12