Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Henry 45-70 All Weather favorite loads?

Banner Sponsor

Henry 45-70 All Weather favorite loads?

Hi Everybody, I've got a new young man that I'm helping getting started casting and reloading.
    He bought a Henry All Weather 45-70 lever action. It's at the gunsmith's getting slicked up, but hopefully will have it back by this weekend.
    We cast up a small pile of the Lee 457-340s out of range scrap and have them lubed with 2500+ and sized to .459".
    I'm wondering what the max cartridge length is for the Henry?
    Also does anyone load the Lee 340, and does it shoot okay in the Henry?
    I'm thinking about starting with around 26-28gns of SR4759. Hoping to get around 1400fps-ish. Just enough to let him get started without developing a flinch right off the bat

TIA for any input.

Why did it need slicking up?
    I guess I will soon find out as I have a HenryX 45-70 waiting for me to pick up at my LGS.
    My Henry .22 LR is smooth as glass, kind of hoping the X would be the same.
    In any case, I know I'm going to love it.

Boolit Master

I would start at about 12 grains of Unique and go from there. I've used this charge with several bullets and never have been dissappointed.
    Good Luck!
    Rick

It depends considerably. What are you using the load for. Just fun, or hunting also. And hunting what. The closest bullet I cast to your bullet . is the Lyman 457122. pictured with the HP. It comes out about 340gr with my alloy. BRN about 10.5. Does just fine in my Marlin stainless XLR 24" Bbl with Marlins Deep Grove Ballard type rifling. I don't try to drive this PB bullet above 1400 fps. No reason to. If I want more power I go to a heavier bullet about the same speed. My Lyman cast bullet manual shows a starting load of 14grs Unique for 1240 fps, & tops at 17.5grs for 1410 fps. A good range as I see it for a plain base bullet. Be sure & fill the case with some Dacron to hold the powder in place.

Boolit Master

Never use a filler with Unique. It is a recipe for disaster. It is not needed.
    Rick

Banner Sponsor

Not sure on getting slicked up being needed or not. I think that he wants it for a range toy/ paper puncher.

Boolit Grand Master
    Unique - no filler!

Boolit Buddy
    Don't have any experience with the Henry, but I suspect the max cartridge length is similar to the Marlin at 2.55". I load 12gr Unique under a 300gr Lyman 457191 and RCBS 45-325FN-U which casts at 340gr. 1100-1150fps with very mild recoil. I shoot lever rifle gong matches out to 250 yards with these loads and they are accurate in my 1886 Browning. No need for any fillers with Unique and I have also found a bit better accuracy using large pistol primers rather than large rifle.