Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Factory ammo warrenty surprise

Boolit Buddy

Factory ammo warrenty surprise

Couple years ago I got 3 bx of Hornady 300BO ammo. Things went well at range for a while, but soon I noticed many splits in the case shoulder/necks. This could be dangerous besides the fact it destroys the cases. SOOO
    I did a multitude of tests: cleaned Bbl & chamber, tested different bolts in the upper, verified head space after firing w/ the Hornady case measuring tool, 6-8 range trips for testing. Ya get the idea.
    Next went to local smith for advice. Ended up changing the gas port to an adjustable type. $100
    Finally connected with the ammo factory (Hornady)
    BOY they were Nice, Prompt, & very informative. Turns out the cases had a hard spot from anneal on some of this lot of cases. Not publishing the lot here, I'm letting the factory handle the issue. SOOOO result is they replaced the original 150 rounds, plus were nice enough to supply some top of the line ammo as offset for my expenses. My compliments to the Hornady support & sales groups for their response.

That's good.

Back in the early 90s I had a Federal .30-06 fail to fire.
    I sent it back to them, and am still waiting for a replacement.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Several years ago I had a bunch of Federal bulk pack .22 lr. It was for my grandkids to plink with. We were experiencing miss fires at about 3 to 5 rounds per hundred.. I would rechamber the shell, rotated to get a different rim strike and most would fire, but not all. I called Federal, explained what was happening, and provided the lot #. Federal said they would replace them....I said great, but I have a bunch of boxes, maybe 8 or so. No problem says Federal and sent me 8 fresh bulk packs. I like Federal!
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Moderator Emeritus

I think I still have a Remington STS 12 ga shell that does not have the rim.

Boolit Master
    I had some Winchester M22 ammo that had about 20% fail to fire from several different guns. Winchester sent me a prepaid shipping label to return the ammo to them for testing and evaluation. It took several months but they did send a check for about 3 times the price I paid for the ammo.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bought a box of Nosler plastic tipped, 180 grain, .30 cal bullets. The tips kept falling off and clogging my action. Eventually, they replace them with a full box. Took awhile, but they did live up to it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
    Several years ago I had a bunch of Federal bulk pack .22 lr. It was for my grandkids to plink with. We were experiencing miss fires at about 3 to 5 rounds per hundred..
    Had a similar issue with Federal 22 bulk box (330 rounds?) target ammo. Three different firearms, averaged 1 out of ten FTFs. Detailed my experience with Federal, lot #s etc. Sent them samples, some with three distinct and solid firing pin indentations. Their response was the indentations from my firing pins weren’t deep enough, by some incredibly small measured depth. Funny as I had Russian steel case 22 LR ammo that worked fine in two of these same firearms. Federal refunded the purchase price of the three boxes I had, but didn’t want the ammo back. I gave it away. The recipients wound up giving it away too.