Thread: Time for a home for the 22 bench rest bullet trap

Boolit Buddy
    The trap is all mounted up now, This is my view from the 50 Yd bench

Started out with cardboard template

Then fabricating the steel

To finish paint

If you want to see the build of the trap here is the link
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...st-bullet-trap
    Last edited by Harry Tobin; 03-15-2023 at 11:41 AM.
    Armed society is a polite society
    Live A Little Learn A Lot

Boolit Master
    Nice - what do the neighbors think ? You didn't say how far you are shooting 50' to 100 yds ???? You need to try every flavor of target ammo and also plain ammo and see what your gun likes ?????
    Then you can look into a barrel tuner ?? Let the fun begin ?
    Last edited by BLAHUT; 03-09-2023 at 04:24 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Nice - what do the neighbors think ?
    Everyone shoots around here, plus the sub sonic is pretty low on noise
    Last edited by Harry Tobin; 03-10-2023 at 06:51 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Nice - what do the neighbors think ? You didn't say how far you are shooting 50' to 100 yds ???? You need to try every flavor of target ammo and also plain ammo and see what your gun likes ?????
    Then you can look into a barrel tuner ?? Let the fun begin ?
    I can go out to 70 yards, that's all the room I had, and I do have a tuner on. That was the Savage MKII build I did last year

Boolit Grand Master
    The only thing that makes me nervous about you setup is the house, barn, and other outbuildings visible in the background.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    The only thing that makes me nervous about you setup is the house, barn, and other outbuildings visible in the background.

Robert
    I know the camera is angle deceiving, everything is line to the middle of the farm field. I know when people look they don’t think it’s a safe direction from the angle. When seated at the bench you’re looking at farm field and nowhere near buildings.

Boolit Grand Master
    I did not understand the magnitude of issues you are addressing in the build until now. My little pea brain saying...."I can buy Champion trap that lasts a few years and can easily move it anywhere I need to".

But where you live and shoot is much different.

Again, very nice job!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I did not understand the magnitude of issues you are addressing in the build until now. My little pea brain saying...."I can buy Champion trap that lasts a few years and can easily move it anywhere I need to".

But where you live and shoot is much different.

Again, very nice job!!
    Hi Don, I realized after I put the pictures in that you could see the farm house behind. And guys are focused on that, and when I stand in line from the bench to the backstop I’m looking into the field and safe distance from everything. So I hope this doesn’t turn into something I regret.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tobin View Post
    Hi Don, I realized after I put the pictures in that you could see the farm house behind. And guys are focused on that, and when I stand in line from the bench to the backstop I’m looking into the field and safe distance from everything. So I hope this doesn’t turn into something I regret.
    I'd still want a berm behind it, and for a ways past each side, but I've been known to be just a tad paranoid, too. Looks good! Oh, I'd like thicker metal as a backing for the boards, too. It's that paranoia I mentioned. 1/4" minimum.

Boolit Master

Thread looks like it might be interesting but I can't see any pictures. Do I have to be part of a group to access pictures or has the OP put some kind of link that I can't access?
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I like the design. If I was going to do anything different It’d be to lift the structure off the ground with some angle iron. We have moisture and termite problems that the OP may not.

Boolit Master

AGAIN! What are you guys talking about. I see nothing in the OP's post except 3 dots.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    AGAIN! What are you guys talking about. I see nothing in the OP's post except 3 dots.
    OP took it down, presumably because folks were hyper-focused on the appearance of a structure in the photo even after he explained that the structure only appears that way in the photo and not from the shooting position. The cost of nit picking is that folks stop sharing, but I’m sure that lives were saved.

That's too bad Harry...I was looking forward to the thread. A great idea...simple to build & now nobody will benefit from Harry's expertise because of a few who soured the thread!

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    @os ok, glad you got a couple pics.

Do you know if the trap is mounted with the tube vertical or horizontal? I’d point it down into a bucket, but it looks like it’s mounted horizontal and I don’t know why.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post

Do you know if the trap is mounted with the tube vertical or horizontal? I’d point it down into a bucket, but it looks like it’s mounted horizontal and I don’t know why.
    Harry and I collaborated off my design for a 'tube down' collection of the lead...

it drops in a metal 5 gallon bucket. That's all well & fine until you process the first bucket into ingots and discover that all the very thin fragmented lead oxidizes. My irrigation system aggravates that too, gets into the bucket. That's no good, it seems like 90% of the heavily oxidized lead will not stir back into the melt, so it's dross.

Considering that, Harry opted for a sealed up lead collection tube, he made removable end caps and a scraper to recover the lead...he has lots of rain over in Pa. so he went sideways with it...

Boolit Master
    Hadn’t thought about it, but I can imagine that the very high surface area of the slivers would be a problem. Still a great trap even if you don’t recover much.

I think there were drawings in an earlier thread, but is anyone making them for sale to your knowledge?

Hadn’t thought about it, but I can imagine that the very high surface area of the slivers would be a problem. Still a great trap even if you don’t recover much.

I think there were drawings in an earlier thread, but is anyone making them for sale to your knowledge?
    Only large commercial traps for sale for indoor ranges...haven't seen any smaller ones like these. They are a DIY type deal.
    It seems 90% of the small thin smear/frags that are heavily oxidized and are ultra thin along with the dust won't melt back in but the majority of the lead that goes into the trap is recovered. It's well worth the effort.
    Last edited by OS OK; 03-14-2023 at 12:34 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Lead Test

To tell you the truth I wasn’t sure I’d get involved again because of others without the facts and chimed in with negativity. So with that aside, I did do some test rounds into the trap before mounting it up. Never building one of these before I wasn't sure of a few things, I added a deflector in the tube. The results with the original deflector was giving way to much powder. Then I did a mod on the deflector and cut it down, now the results are much better with a lot less powder and more sizable pieces of lead.

In the picture below you can see the bullet path in the tube

And here's what I got from my test shots

Boolit Buddy

Jim these traps can be both vertical and horizontal. I went horizontal to keep the elements and contamination out.
    Now Jerry Miculek runs a horizontal trap, here's a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifkn...lek-ProShooter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast