Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern carbine in .30 Carbine?

Ruger's mini 30 offers a lot of the features you seek. 7.62x39mm, rapid change out of hi-cap magazines, moderately light weight and length, can be had in stainless, readily available ammo in different configurations, all of which is why I own one!

DG

Boolit Grand Master

Been using/shooting the M1/M2 Carbines for the last 55+ years. Have target shot, hunted varmints/deer with and used one effectively in the last SE Asian war games. In comparison to the AK/SKS and Mini14s [I've had and used all three quite extensively and still have a very nice Russian SKS] the M1 carbine is my first choice because it is handier and most often, more accurate.

With 110 soft nosed bullets at 1930 fps out of the M1 Carbine the effective range is, indeed 300 yards. With 90 gr XTPs at 2150 fps it is quite effective terminally out to 200+ yards. The cast 313631 or the 311316 HP'd at 1900 +/- fps aren't too shabby either. All outclass any pistol cartridge carbine for accuracy, range and terminal effect. The M1 30 carbine also doesn't have the weapon weight or the recoil/muzzle blast of the 7.62x39 rifles.

The M1 carbine nor the 30 Carbine cartridge are not obsolete by any stretch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0807181055.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	311590

Name:	DSC00356.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	311591

Name:	001 - Copy (4).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	311592

Name:	90 XTP.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	311593
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Hmmm. . .Given that all things seem to be AR-related these days. . .

The M1 Carbine gas system successfully ran on virtually no gas volume. The M4 carbine short length gas system might be adaptable to the .30 round, given a little tinkering with buffer weights and spring rates.

We're getting a lot of pistol caliber AR carbines with lowers configured to run on pistol mags (usually Glock, but a few others). I'm not overly familiar with the M1's mag catch system, but the basic M16 configuration might be adaptable for M1 mags.

If the M1 needed an update for anything, it's sights and ability to mount optics. The AR platform would get it there.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I’ve always liked the 30 carbine cartridge and shoot my WWII Inland often. Ammo is an issue and seems to be up and down on availability. Being rimless, it’s not a good fit for lever actions, but I can see bolt actions and even Mini or AR style rifles having a niche market. Maybe as after market upgrades.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    I’ve always liked the 30 carbine cartridge and shoot my WWII Inland often. Ammo is an issue and seems to be up and down on availability. Being rimless, it’s not a good fit for lever actions, but I can see bolt actions and even Mini or AR style rifles having a niche market. Maybe as after market upgrades.
    I have a lever action in 30 Carbine made by Marlin, they are rare and expensive but I picked up a bubbaed one in a pawn shop for cheap!
    I have not shot it much but it is an interesting combination!

Boolit Master

I much prefer the M1 Carbine over anything of the "modern" designs I have handled and shot. All the modern ones I have handled so far felt like clubs compared to the little M1. I got to handle but not shoot one of the very early Ruger 9mm carbines and it too felt clubby and was not exactly a lightweight carbine. The idea also erronously floating around is that the M1 is not accurate. That might be true on some that have worn barrels but the ones I have owned in the 60's, 70's and 80's were in very good plus condition and I had no trouble shooting them at 100 yards, being able to roll soft drink cans with more than a fair amount of success. I give the carbine's ability with that more than shooting prowness on my part. To me they come up fast, point naturally, are accurate and just plain fun to shot. I never shot one at over 200 yards so I will leave that to Larry and those who have. My buddy who flew on the Jolly Green's(Navy version) in Vietnam had an M2 issued to him and he loved it. Inland's new version may be the only rifle I might go to $1,000.00 today, but I really don't see myself buying another rifle at my advanced age. my experience anyway, james

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Most of the accuracy complaints on the carbine result from cleaning rod wear at the muzzle crown. My USGI Inland suffered from this affliction and I chose to sell the gun rather than rebarrel it. Mine was no better than 3 moa with Norma softpoints and 4 moa with LC Ball.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

If barrel wear at the muzzle, as Outpost75 says, there are several easy to do "accurizing" things that can be done to enhance accuracy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

300BO is comparable (actually better) than 30 carbine so why bother? Or 30 Ham'r.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Why no 'modern' guns in .30 Carbine? The AR platform and it's popularity.

I don't care for the AR or AK platforms but... The BO offers a bit more than the carbine and is commonly available. The 7.62x39 offers even more. So why would I rechamber to the .30? Not much to gain.

Better would be something like an SP5 or P90 in .30 Carbine. I think it is kinda the perfect cartridge for a PDW format. Would compete with the 5.7x28 these days.

Me? I'd settle for the original M1 Carbine. But, I always loved the Garand and M14 as well so I am biased.

I wonder if a 5.7 pistol could be rechambered for the .30?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...rifle/p/p42072

And much preferred to a blow back design.
    Whew. Out of stock. Have had my lgs keeping an eye out for a nicely priced one for awhile now.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    With the 7.62x39 and the pistol calibers really no need for the 30 Carbine.
    Maybe no need but to a reloader:
    30 carbine components are cheaper (IMO) than 7.62 x 39, or maybe even 300 BO.

Again IMO, a straight taper cartridge is easier to size consistently than one with a shoulder. Probably a minor point but to some of us older guys simplicity is priceless.

UltiMAX produces rail kits that replace the upper hand guard, allowing optics and accessories mounting.

Overall performance at realistic distances is better than a pistol caliber carbine regardless of barrel length.

M-1 carbines aren’t perfect but they sure are fun.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    So how are people finding shooting lead boolits in M1 Carbines? I ask this because I once had a surplus one made by Rockola. It would shoot and cycle ball rounds fine, but whenever I would try soft nose bullets, they would often hang up.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    So how are people finding shooting lead boolits in M1 Carbines? I ask this because I once had a surplus one made by Rockola. It would shoot and cycle ball rounds fine, but whenever I would try soft nose bullets, they would often hang up.
    The Lee C309113F runs like a champ through my wife’s Howa M1. Great accuracy, also.
    This lets me keep the 110 gr SP and FMJ ammo stashed away in reserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    powder coating has greatly help cast shooting in the m1 carbine.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    powder coating has greatly help cast shooting in the m1 carbine.
    Being one of so like last century who has shot thousands of GC'd and lubed cast bullets through numerous M1/M2 carbines......I find this highly debatable......
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Why no M1 carbine chambered for 357SIG?

Name:	IM005312.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	311826

Lest anyone should think my earlier advocacy of the Stainless Mini-30 is a rejection of the M1 Carbine....I keep this one handy to repel boarders. It's a civilian copy, AMAC which was closely related to Iver Johnson. I also have a Korean return Winchester and an origial WW II vintage Standard Products. The AMAC is very accurate and reliable.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

One of my gun regrets is never owning an M1 Carbine. In the 70's and 80's when they were cheap I had limited resources and owning a gun just for fun was not in the cards. While I can afford to pay what the current market rate I am not willing to since for me it would just be a fun plinker. They are great little guns for what they are.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    There was one other gun that was reached a production of 200,000 in 30 US Carbine chamberbing. It was a delayed blow back designed by the Hungarian engineer Pál Király,

The .30 Kiraly-Cristóbal Carbine, also known as the San Cristóbal or Cristóbal Automatic Rifle was manufactured by the Dominican Republic’s Armería San Cristóbal Weapon Factory.
    The Cristóbal had a wooden stock, 30-round bottom-mounted box magazine, and tubular receiver with a fixed cocking handle on the right-hand side. It used lever-delayed blowback for its operation. The original version was produced in 9×19mm Parabellum. The most typical version of the Cristóbal was made in .30 Carbine.

Over 200,000 Cristóbals were made by the Armeria San Cristóbal from 1950 to 1966. After Trujillo’s assassination on May 31, 1961, the Dominican government decided not to maintain a local military industry and production was slowly wound down. By 1990, the Cristóbal was no longer a standard Dominican firearm, but continues to be used for basic training in the Dominican Republic's military schools.

This carbine was used by Che Guevara during the Cuban Revolution.
    Users

Cuba
    Dominican Republic

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 09-21-19 Cristóbal Carbine - Google Search.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	312183

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast