Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rusted barrel treatment

Boolit Grand Master
    I had an Ishapor that was a total basket case. Because it was painted, it went together well and was impervious to the neglect a barn gun is used to.

Boolit Grand Master

I was going to say Parkerizing but for his purpose and neglect the paint seem like the best and easiest solution. Better kill the rust first thoug... RUST NEVER SLEEPS! Kill it then paint it.

I haven't used Evaporust but have a bottle of Rust Mort which is an automtive product and contains phosphoric acid (same as Naval Jelly). It also has some rust converter in it that turns rust into a hard black material that tends to fill pits/rough spots at least somewhat. I have used it on several old cars and trucks and once used then primed and painted I have never had re-rusting in the same spot. Treat the barrel with something like that then paint and it should be good.

A painted gun would bother me but it appears to be a good solution for your friend.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree with you, Longbow. A painted gun looks awful. But to make it stand up to severe exposure and rugged treatment, it's hard to beat. You can never make it look good, but it will never look bad. Ha, ha, ha

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B1D8253B-607D-40F8-B7BC-DEAF22D42ADA.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	311504

I wound up using a very old and worn wire brush on a right angle grinder to remove the rust, then I sopped on Oxpho cold blue with a soaked cloth. Rinsed everything with cold water then sprayed it with WD40.

I should have taken a before shot but the barrel was about the same color as the stock.

Didn’t take long - from start of disassembly to putting it back together was just under an hour.

Decided I didn’t want to paint it without asking him first - if he lets it rust this badly again, I’ll just tell him it’s his turn to fix it…

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Yes Yes... if Not taken care of...I would simply walk away saying "Looks just like it Should for the current Owner"...Yea...I aint Nice.....Oh Well!!!!!
    Exactly !

Cheers

Boolit Master

Wire brushing may make it look like all the rust is removed, but there are likely still small pits that have rust at the bottom. Don't think the Qxpho will actually neutralize the rust, like Evaporust, other acids, or rust converters. I once sanded the rust off a gun and then immediately re-blued with Oxpho. A month later it was rusting again.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Ospho is similar to cold blues. It will protect from rust, but needs a thin coating of oil when needed, depending on the guns use. Next time your friend asked you to repair the finish, Cerakote!

Boolit Master
    I gave it back to him yesterday and he was quite happy. I said the next time was on him to fix and he vowed it wouldn't happen again. We shall see...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12