Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goex cartridge

Goex cartridge

Opinions on goex cartridge? I'm using it in lever guns. Are they still making it? What other powder are folks getting good results with?

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Cartridge was dropped in 2008.
    I've been using Olde Eynsford since it was introduced, and it looks like Estes is about ready to start shipping Goex powder again.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Cartridge was dropped in 2008.
    I've been using Olde Eynsford since it was introduced, and it looks like Estes is about ready to start shipping Goex powder again.
    Don Goex quit making Cartridge before leaving PA, and never made it in Mindon LA, so 1997-98 is when they stopped production.

KW

Haven’t checked the cans still have about half of the last case Jerry Dean had in stock in 08. When Hogdon discontinued it and Express

My bad must of been 09 or 10 the lot number is 054409 in Minden cans.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    My bad must of been 09 or 10 the lot number is 054409 in Minden cans.
    That would definitely indicate a 09 manufacturer date, obviously my sources saying they quit making it in PA are incorrect.

KW

Unless they transported cakes to Minden for processing later
    But none of that matters much cuz it’s all been gone for over a decade ��

Fun thing was when I got into that box I found a number of cans of 2f express��

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    Opinions on goex cartridge? I'm using it in lever guns. Are they still making it? What other powder are folks getting good results with?
    I have been using blackhorn209 with very good results, now thew have just price me out of that powder, so need to start looking again?

Goex powder will be shipping soon

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I use an equivalent of Goex FF over here. It works well. If they will be selling Goex again soon, that is good news for you guys in the states.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    I have been using blackhorn209 with very good results, now thew have just price me out of that powder, so need to start looking again?
    I still have part of a case of the cartridge left as well, I use it in cartridges and flintlocks. I also started using H Triple Seven FFG in cartridges as well. For me it is the most available powder I can find so I save the BP for specific uses. The Triple Seven works great so far in 50-95, 45-70. and 43 Mauser. Hodgdon also lists cartridge data on their data sheet for this powder.

Boolit Buddy

I have 20 cans of Goex Cartridge, all the same lot. As I'll soon be 82 yo, I'm thinning my inventory. My problem is finding anyone close enough to me to sell it to. C.R.

Ahhh C.R

I'm knocking on the door at 84. I use a lot more now than I did at age 40 Except for the last two years I used between 4 and 5-1/2 cases of powder a year except when some of the shoots shut down because of the red bug and lastly a broken foot and fractured back that slowed me down some but I will again build the use up again this year.
    Now is the time to go and shoot some of these matches and burn up what you have and get more.

Boolit Master
    There was a lot of Goex Cartridge from 1996 that seemed to shoot very well for a few friends. No idea how they managed not to use it up . I shot a bunch of it up a long time ago. Then they discontinued it, and I switched to Goex Express which was pretty good powder. I still have some of that in FFFg that I use for practice shooting. They discontinued that and came out with OE which I think is the best Goex powder by far. In some of my rifles it works better than Swiss.

Nowadays I wouldn't buy anything but Swiss or OE. It's good to hear that they are going to start shipping OE again.

Chris.

I have a few pounds left over that work pretty good in the 44-40. Swiss is better, both more accurate and cleaner, but it does work pretty good. IF I understand it correctly Goex Cartridge was for larger calibers like 45-70Govt. There may not be enough pressure to burn efficiently in the small 44-40 case.

Cartridge shoots very well in the 45-70 and 44-77 it's a bit slow and fouls quite a bit but it doesn't turn to hard clay like Swiss does. In the 50-90 it works very well with good velocity and accuracy, and leaves the bore shiny clean relatively speaking for black powder.

I used it back in the late 90s but saw no advantage over 2F in the 45-90. In the last few years I switched to Swiss 1.5F and enjoy excellent results. I also use Schutzen 2F and 3F. In my 32-20 I prefer the 3F. I like Swiss and feel the extra price is worth it. It is very consistent burning powder and for me, does not foul as heavily as GOEX did.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still using the last of my Cartridge in .40-90SBN, 45 Colt & 12 ga. I still have about 16-17 cans left of the last case DGW had in stock. Mine was manufactured in PA according to the can. Lot # 05 04, packed 95 Ja 04, B shift, if I'm reading the bottom of the can correctly.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

So, you like it?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    So, you like it?
    Yes, but we're not likely to see it again. So when someone starts producing BP again, I'll be looking for another BP to replace it.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast